- advertisement -

On Facebook for November

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by mommylovestosing, Oct 31, 2010.

1. Gaia

Gaia Approved members

he** yea!!!

2. Sandy's mom

Sandy's mom Approved members

Great idea Jenn!

Jonah I love your list.

I am now inspired to post a diabetes true or false as my status daily for the month. I have many friends from here on fb but also many friends who don't know much about d. Hope this helps awareness a little bit.

Deb

3. suz

suz Approved members

Thank you Michelle, I have just made this my FB status (albeit edited to fit the # of allowed characters). I couldn'thave put it any better myself.

4. Bigbluefrog

Bigbluefrog Approved members

I haven't checked fb recently but it must be exploding with D comments ...and I feel like Frizzy frazzy whatever..I am tired and cranky and don't give a rats 's a about spelling. D is a PIA

so don't mess with the crabby over tired european american mom who has a child with diabetes and scoliosis. Dealing w crazy high bg and scary lows dotting in between.

5. Hockeygirl

Hockeygirl Approved members

Michelle, can i use part of this as my status on FB?

6. fdlafon

fdlafon Approved members

This would infuriate me!
    If they don't like it - scroll down the page!

7. shirley83006

shirley83006 Approved members

8. shirley83006

shirley83006 Approved members

if anyone that can figure out how to download the candle, im trying to put it on the profile of my facebook. Let me know.

9. MHoskins2179

MHoskins2179 Approved members

Word.

Diabetes does suck. It's frustrating. For those who live with it, for those parents who must worry and stress and care for their kids, and for so many others in a PWD's life.

I want my Facebook friends to know:

Why I'm afraid to sleep at night, even as a 31-year-old, because of a fear that I might not wake up because of a low bloog sugar. Or that my BG drops and makes me violent, swinging at my wife in a hypoglycemic rant. That I'd rather keep my sugar levels high to prevent that, even though it means I'm damaging my insides and possibly inviting kidney failure, vision loss, heart attacks later in life.

Can I have a kid, knowing there's a chance he or she could develop this chronic condition and it would be my fault?

Or sharing the frustration of dealing with a newly-inserted pump site that apparently doesn't work but gives me no warning, except to raise my blood sugar all night to the 500 mg/dL point where I can't sleep and feel like I'm going to vomit. And when I'm already exhausted and running late for work in the morning, I rip out the site and blood stains my white dress shirt forcing me to change shirts and also stab myself with a needle again. The new site appears to work, but then gets knocked off my stomach when I'm taking off my seatbelt in the car after the drive to work. Maybe they can see how I've just now gone through two sets from a 10-set box that overall costs $122 - meaning I've wasted $24 in less than 12 hours on items that my insurance company will only refill every few months, if I'm lucky and willing to fight for them by phone and letter-writing.

These are just a few of the frustrations I want to share. That I'm so tired and really want a vacation, but I'll never get one. That I've been hearing "there's a cure coming" since 1984 (my own Type 1 mom since 1958), yet here we are in 2010. Wasn't the 90s dubbed the "decade of the cure??" As a result, my life is uncertain and crazy and a constant battle in a never-ending war.

But people don't respond well to those sentiments. Because they're depressing, and doesn't directly touch them as it touches me or you. Rather, humor, sarcasm, fun works best. And YES, there is that side of diabetes. We have to recognize the good despite all the bad, to keep our balance and sanity. That's what people respond to , and what will make them listen when you advocate effecively. I've not always done that, but some of the most well-respected D-Advocates out there who've been waging this battle for decades have pointed this out. It works so incredibly well.

I've found, personally, that balance helps - ranging from the D-101 and basic advocacy points, the fun/humorous side, the frustrated rants on why it sucks. But in the end, many still won't care and will get sick of it. They have that luxury and can turn away, while we can't. If I can keep their attention and be more effective an advocator, then I'm helping get out the message even more.

Why am I writing this in such a tone? Well, I've wasted three sets in a day and haven't been less than 216 in like three days. Because I want to cry. Because young kids are still being diagnosed and that feels like a kick to the stomach. Because I want a cure, but I also want people to listen and learn and "get it."

So, it is what it is. YDMV, as well as statuses and sentiments. No offense intended, even if it's inevitable.

I'm off to find my Caddyshack DVD so the little dancing gopher makes me smile.... Maybe I'll jump a ship to Hong Kong to see the Lama, or something.

10. Jake'sMama

Jake'sMama Approved members

great idea!

11. ashleesmommy

ashleesmommy Approved members

I'm sorry, Michael!! This makes me sad b/c I know one day my daughter will have these feelings too! I've been posting on Facebook and so far I've gotten many likes and sincere questions! I think it's crazy that people get sick of hearing about it... Def some sh**ty friends! I hope to not get that kind of feedback, but if I do, the heck with them! =)

12. MHoskins2179

MHoskins2179 Approved members

This was a rant and I feel as though I was on the brink of losing it... So I apologize for my previous post that may have been offensive or depressing. I try not to make it a practice.

13. 5kids4me

5kids4me Approved members

I have read and reread this over the last two days...it just breaks my heart. My little boy will be a grown man with these same feelings one day. I wish you the best and hope and pray for a cure. I hate this disease.