- advertisement -

On Facebook for November

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by mommylovestosing, Oct 31, 2010.

1. Mom2Kathy

Mom2Kathy Approved members

I'm going to do this too. I know I'll get no responses, simply because I have no "friends" with a tie to T1D, but if it reaches anyone, it's worth it. :)

I've already changed by facebook photo to the National Diabetes symbol (the blue circle).

2. Brandi's mom

Brandi's mom Approved members

I did a bunch of posts with facts and myths when Brandi was diagnosed, most of my friends were very interested.

3. MamaBear

MamaBear Approved members

I had a comment a few months ago that made me want to kick one of my friends right in her gut, I'm still mad about it. She commented that I am lucky I get a nap between the night time checks because her daughter (non D) has a fever and she had been up with her for 2 nights in a row. GASP! 2 nights? I decided to take the high road and say I hoped her child felt better and gently explained (again) why I was doing night time checks and how many nights in a row I'd been up. But I wanted to have a verbal tantrum. OH yes LUCKY! How lucky that while your child's fever and sore throat will be gone in a few days, my son's pancreas does not now and will never work again! How lucky that I have to make him bleed,or watch him make himself bleed,give injections multiple times a day! How lucky that he has to test his BG before he does pretty much anything,and sometimes has to miss out because he doesn't feel well.How lucky that this will go on for the rest of his life! I'm certain he feels like he hit the freakin jackpot!:rolleyes: Only my language in my head was much less friendly and clean. Dumb cow.

I'm totally stealing the status idea and the disabling comments idea. :):cwds:

4. Mimi

Mimi Approved members

I had this thought this weekend and I'm so glad to come here and see others doing this too.

Thanks Jonah for the fun facts.

My FB status for today: (with an article link)
    I am thankful everyday for Sir Fredrick Banting and insulin. Every single day!! But insulin is NOT a cure. 6 (or more) needles a day, 8-10 finger pricks a day is NOT a cure. Yes, insulin is better, we have better monitoring devices and more knowledge but diabetes is still a life sentence. WE NEED A CURE.

And anyone who doesn't like my status can easily be removed. :)

5. Jessica L

Jessica L Approved members

I believe it but I cant believe it. I cant see anyone on my list doing that but if they did oh boy watch out! lol Its also Epilepsy awareness month and premature birth awareness month oi and I have both of those too. Tho I doubt I will post much on the other two.

6. MHoskins2179

MHoskins2179 Approved members

Some of it also depends on the type of post you're putting up - difference between "Insulin is not a cure and such" to say something more fun, personal with a positive and even humerous attitude. Mixing it up certainly does help.

7. Lee

Lee Approved members

Trust me - it wasn't the types of posts...

Mine were more about the signs and symptoms of D. This community had just found out about the loss of a child pre-diagnosis, and I took it upon myself to educate on the signs and symptoms. That was my theme for the month.

I write for a living, I know what tone is.

8. OSUMom

OSUMom Approved members

...and sometimes it makes a difference that people may not be as sensitive if one doesn't have diabetes oneself. I don't know, but I'm shocked at how people respond or don't respond with respect to diabetes awareness information sometimes. I truly don't think people fully understand it and think we all need to just get over it already (certainly not everyone by any means!)

Never give up! Insulin Matters!! :cwds::cwds:

9. MamaC

MamaC Approved members

Thank you for that slam. "Insulin is not a cure. It's life support." That happens to be a slogan we live by in my family, and the title my son used for his JDRF Children's Congress scrapbook. It's also a slogan that grabs attention.

My son nearly died from a hypo suffered in a pool. I see his fear, even as he approaches adulthood, every time he has a serious hypo. There is nothing fun or humorous about his disease. But YDMV.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2010
  10. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

not to mention that we just lost a child in this community to diabetes. And believe me, I'm sure her parents can't think of one positive humorous thing to say about diabetes. Right now, I can't think of any either. Perhaps every day my facebook status for a month is going to be @#$# Diabetes. Because you know what, that's how I feel about diabetes at this moment in time, for THIS diabetes awareness month. It's not fun. It's not cute. It's not pleasant and it's not fair. It's not happy. It's not humorous. It's not friendly and it's not polite. It sucks. Every single day it sucks that my child has to deal with this. Yes, he gets up and goes about his life but it still sucks. I will NEVER like this disease. I will NEVER say that this disease is ok to have. We do the best we can but the fact remains that diabetes is an unwelcome guest in my little boy's body.

And if "getting the message out" makes some people uncomfortable than so be it. Let them be uncomfortable. let them have one fraction of a second of uncomfortable. I wish my son had that luxury.

11. Alex's Dad

Alex's Dad Approved members

You nailed it, I share the same opinion, and will keep updating my fb status with info about diabetes, if my "friends" don't like it, they can just delete me I don't care. I also agreed that there's nothing humorous about diabetes, we have to stop sugar coating things so people can digested easily, life is not always cuteness and fun.

12. suz

suz Approved members

I think all my FB 'friends' got sick and tired of me a month or so ago when I was pushing our JDRF Walk! I never got any comments, but I'm sure there was a collective sigh of relief once the walk was over :D Well, they've had a week or 2 to get over it so now I can start with this!

Our elementary school PTA has a Healthy Lifestyles Committee, and as I produce the PTA Newsletter, I was asked to put together a whole page on diabetes for this month and Diabetes Awareness Month.

Granted, this was both Type 1 and Type 2 (and I know the principal and other staff are going to hate me even more for it, especially after an extended long and tedious 504 meeting today).

Here's a few facts I dug up for the article:
    • Diabetes kills more American?s annually than AIDS and Breast Cancer combined
    • 1.6 million Americans are diagnosed with diabetes each year
    • 1 in every 400-600 children have Type 1 Diabetes.
    • People with Type 1 Diabetes can eat a regular diet, but must count all carbohydrates
    • Diabetes is the leading cause of kidney failure and #1 cause of new blindness in adults.
    • Diabetes is responsible for more than 60% of lower-limb amputations
    • Diabetes cost a whopping $174 billion in 2007.
    • Eating candy does not cause Type 1 Diabetes
    • Diabetes was listed as the 7th leading
    cause of death in 2006.

13. deafmack

deafmack Approved members

I am doing the Big Blue Test and each time you watch the video you donate one week's worth of insulin to a child. I have done it already several times and will continue to do it throughout the month of November.

14. Mom2Kathy

AMEN. If I had any guts I'd use this for my facebook status. It's absolutely perfect.

15. Traci

Traci Approved members

One of the single best posts ever! I could not agree more.

And to the point about others getting tired of our d info statuses--how 'bout the fact that I'M tired of reading about your new weightloss product (that you're selling), I'M tired of reading about how awful your ex is and how wonderful your new man is, I'M tired of reading about how sleepy you are, etc. To my fb friends who get tired of my status, I say, "Go ahead! Delete me! I've probably already had you and all your nonsense hidden for months!":D

16. Mom2Kathy

And add to that all their political commentaries too! As if we weren't getting enough of that on the TV, in the mail, or on the phone!

17. Traci

Traci Approved members

My status for today is an adorable pic of my son a few months after diagnosis and says "We are thankful every day for this miracle drug that is NOT A CURE, but keeps our son alive." and then goes on to briefly describe the discovery of insulin.

18. LenasDad

LenasDad Approved members

I was not aware of this. Thank you for posting. It took me a while to find the video. Here is the link to make it more accessible:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkLHgK94Z0E

19. 5kids4me

5kids4me Approved members

I too have received private messages from friends AND family on fb asking me to lay off the diabetes stuff. I will continue to post everyday....I did add a disclaimer that they do not send messages asking that I stop.

20. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

I'm somewhat embarassed to admit that I am still too raw to lay my heart out there on FB on this subject. I think I've had two statuses ever about diabetes, and I had...disappointing comments on both of them.

I also have this very weird angry feeling about World Diabetes Day that I honestly can't explain. Jack was diagnosed the day before, and I remember being in the hospital and opening the USA Today and seeing a big article about World Diabetes Day, and for some reason the whole thing just makes me mad. I don't know if it's that it's been 3 years now, and I have not seen one scintilla of progress or advancement, or if it's that the proximity of WDD to Jack's dx day makes the most painful day of my life more public somehow, or my underlying gut feeling that no one outside the community really gives a $hit about any of this or what, but I honestly am just weirdly hostile about the whole damn thing.

Looks like someone needs to touch base with her therapist. :rolleyes:

ETA: My hostility is not toward anyone who chooses to participate in awareness activities or anything like that. It's more unfocused general anger, which probably makes no sense at all.