- advertisement -

On Facebook for November

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by mommylovestosing, Oct 31, 2010.

1. mommylovestosing

mommylovestosing Approved members

Hey all! Since November is Diabetes Awareness Month, I thought it would be helpful to have a fact/tip/something about Type 1 everyday in my status. I have many, many friends who want to understand and be able to follow some of my updates and some who just plain don't understand. I thought some awareness would be great for everyone.

So, I'm looking for any info/tips/whatever you want to give. Obviously I want them to be short and readable in a few seconds or they will just get glanced over. Anyone else wanting to do this should join me!!

For example: Diabetes takes on many names, but I want to focus on Type 1. This type of Diabetes is not preventable or curable. It has nothing to do with what you eat, didn't eat, do or don't do. It is mostly diagnosed in childhood, which is why it is also known as Juvenile Diabetes. Currently, there is no cure.

Or something like that. Then I'll elaborate a little more the next day...

Thanks everyone!!

Happy Halloween!

2. timnshann

timnshann Approved members

great idea!

3. AlisonKS

AlisonKS Approved members

can I be lazy and copy you everyday? lol
    the latest thing I had to teach moms in my sons class is-although it's nice to bring healthy treats, he'll still need insulin for a pear or pretzel or candy.

4. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

Good luck with this. I will tell you that a bunch of us tried to do this last year too and many of us got the following type comments from our friends "Enough with the diabetes posts, we get it already!"

So be prepared and don't stop even if you get that kind of feedback! :D

5. mommylovestosing

mommylovestosing Approved members

Hmmm..Didn't think about that...

6. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

You want 30 fun facts? I did that on my answering machine message for a while, a new "Did you know?" every day. The only person who noticed was my mother. But here are a few:

Type 1 diabetes is one of a few autoimmune diseases more common in men: for every 10 women with type 1 diabetes in the United States, there are 17 men with type 1 diabetes.

The first insulin to be synthesized was rat insulin.

Insulin was first injected as a treatment on January 23, 1922.

The first American to receive insulin was 22 years old. He had been diagnosed with diabetes at the age of 15.

The autoimmune diseases most commonly found in people with type 1 diabetes and their relatives are celiac, Hashimoto's, and vitiligo.

Type 1 diabetes is most common in people whose ancestors lived in the area covered by ice in the last little ice age.

Jackie Robinson, the first African American player in major league baseball, was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes the year he retired, at age 38. He died of it 15 years later.

Sonia Maria Sotomayor is the first member of the American Supreme Court to have type 1 diabetes. She was diagnosed at age 8 and has been taking multiple daily injections for 48 years.

Type 1 diabetes is most common in people whose parents have different high risk genes- in those who are heterozygous.

Although type 1 diabetes has some genetic basis, it has some mystery environmental factor as well; only two-thirds of those whose identical twins have type 1 diabetes ever develop it themselves.

Insulin comes from the word islets which is latin for islands, because insulin comes from the islets of Langerhans, which look like little islands in the pancreas.

The cells that make insulin are less than 2% of the pancreas, whose business is mostly digestion.

At least six antibodies have been shown to cause type 1 diabetes; it is an autoimmune disease.

Type 1 diabetics may take insulin through syringes, insulin pens, or insulin pumps. Which one they use is a reflection of their choice and/or finances, not disease severity.

The American Diabetes Association approved of letting people with diabetes eat sugar starting in 1994.

Insulin was the first product genetically engineered product. Ever.

Some insulin is made by genetically engineered e. coli bacteria.

Type 1 diabetes cannot be caught from a type 1 diabetic... except maybe by a bone marrow transplant.

88% of those diagnosed with type 1 diabetes do not have any immediate family member with the condition.

One nickname for regular insulin is "Toronto" because that's where insulin was first purified such that it could be used.

More than 30,000 pancreas transplants have been performed in the United States since 1990.

Pancreas transplants, partial pancreas transplants, and islet cell transplants typically allow a type 1 diabetic to get better blood sugar control, go off of insulin for a few years, and prevent and even reverse diabetes complications. However, the transplant medications themselves are toxic and risky.

In 2007, 1 in 500 Americans under the age of 20 had been diagnosed with diabetes. That's 186,300 young diabetics.

The digestive process breaks down insulin too easily for insulin to be taken by mouth. It is currently only available in injected form, although insulin inhalers used to be for sale, and eyedrops and suppositories are in development. Good luck to those! Many prefer shots.

The highest rate of type 1 diabetes can be found in... Finland.

The drug reaction that results in the most ER visits is hypoglycemia insulin.

Some famous people currently living with type 1 diabetes include [make your own list for who your readers will know].

Autoimmune diabetes is not something you are born with and takes a little time to develop; you can be diagnosed with it at any time past about six months. Babies diagnosed younger are likely to have even rarer forms of diabetes.

Type 1 diabetes is usually diagnosed in children and was once called juvenile diabetes, short for juvenile onset diabetes, but it can also be diagnosed in adults of any age.

Although most complications of diabetes are linked to high blood sugar, it is low blood sugar that can cause problems most quickly.

Type 1 diabetes is never easy, but diabetes management is especially difficult when the person with diabetes is nauseas or vomiting.

The "honeymoon" in type 1 diabetes refers to a period after diagnosis when there is still considerable insulin production abilities left in the body. It always ends.

Type 1 diabetes is sometimes used to mean any diabetes caused by the body's inability to make more than a tiny amount of insulin; more often it refers specifically to autoimmune diabetes causing an inability to make more than a very small amount of insulin and resulting in insulin dependence within a year of diagnosis (usually right away).

The biggest obstacle to controlling the high blood sugar of diabetes is not laziness... it's hypoglycemia. Aggressive treatment of high blood sugar tends to result in low blood sugar, which is also dangerous.

The only first world country that accepts people with type 1 diabetes in its military is Israel. Other countries' militaries may allow a person to remain in the army if they are diagnosed after enlisting, but will not allow people on insulin to join.

EDIT: I was wrong about emergency visits from drug reactions. Warfarin is first; insulin is second.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2010
  7. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

Go for it.

Just disable people's comments on your statuses and wall for the month of November.:D

My favorite thing to post is the JDRF's "Myths and Misconeptions" list.

8. KatieJane'smom

KatieJane'smom Approved members

I love the "fun facts", Jonah!! :) Can't wait to show them to Katie Jane. She's kind of geeky that way - she's always loved fun facts about everything. These are great!

9. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

I'm going to steal your idea and do it too...Maybe we can borrow good ones form each other and Jonah's facts :D

10. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

Good idea! I'm going to copy you :):eek:

11. 2boysmom

2boysmom Approved members

Thanks for posting the fun facts Jonah! And love the idea of posting something each day on FB! I think I will copy it too!:D

12. Lee

Lee Approved members

I was one of those that did this last year also - I got comments, on Fb and in person - like what the Frizz said. I never, ever once got a thank you for the information, or I didn't know that, or well, anything from my non-d friends.

It was heartbreaking. So, not to be a downer, but be aware that you may face criticism, although I hope you don't!

13. Jessica L

Jessica L Approved members

wow really? I would so delete everyone on my list that said anything like that.

14. pianoplayer4

pianoplayer4 Approved members

I am so doing that!!!( I know I'm a copy cat) thanks for the list Jonah, I think I'll add something like "It's Diabetes Awareness month, raise awareness, post this as your status"

15. Lisa1001

Lisa1001 Approved members

I like this idea! I think I will try to do it, also!

16. MamaC

MamaC Approved members

This year on FB I am not changing my profile picture (I'm kind of a serial changer of the picture and status) for the entire month. I may also leave up the status explaining why.

I've changed the picture to this:

Insulin is not a cure.
    It's life support.

17. LenasDad

LenasDad Approved members

I think this is a great idea. And I'm glad I found this thread on November 1, so I can take full advantage of the month. Let's see if I get any negative comments...:rolleyes:

Jonah, I'm going to steal your list if you don't mind. :D

ETA Today's update: Type 1 Diabetes has a genetic component. However, 88% of those diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes do not have any immediate family member with the condition.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2010
  18. 2type1s

2type1s Approved members

I'm doing this, too!

19. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

I wasn't alone - see Lee's response above...it was totally nuts. It's like it was ok for us to spread our little PSA for a few days but then around week 2 people got tired of it.

and some people were deleted or sent to my "restricted friends list" where they no longer see my wall.

20. fdlafon

fdlafon Approved members

I'm so doing this ~ Thanks for the thought, and all the helpful things I can post. :D