- advertisement -

Omnipod Voluntary Recall of Pods

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by caspi, Jul 14, 2015.

1. caspi

caspi Approved members

Imagine my surprise to open an email from Insulet this morning about a recall of 12 lots of their pods, advising me that we had received pods from at least one of these lots. That's a far cry from their claim of "user error" when we were calling them in almost daily last year. I'm happy they're finally waking up to the issue, but I suppose I shouldn't hold my breath waiting for their apology, huh? :wink:

For those that are using the Omnipod, the lots affected are:

L40806
    L40811
    L40895
    L40976
    L41014
    L41025
    L41067
    L41162
    L41171
    L41197
    L41198
    L41250

2. KatieSue

KatieSue Approved members

Did they say what was wrong? After years of no real issues we've had problems with them not sticking lately.

3. caspi

caspi Approved members

The issues were cannula not deploying or deploying and then retracting, and audible pod alarms (also known as screech of death. :wink: ). We experienced the latter.

4. rgcainmd

rgcainmd Approved members

Thank you so much for listing the lots! I'll be checking all of ours right after I get home from work!

5. swellman

swellman Approved members

I'm not surprised and,honestly, I'm not upset. We've had nothing but great service with our problems. They replaced our problems and we're still podding strong. I expect a reasonable amount of mechanical failures. We've had issues to be sure but our experience is overall very positive.

6. caspi

caspi Approved members

Of course a reasonable amount of mechanical failure is to be expected. But 35 over a 9 month period isn't reasonable, at least not in my book. :wink: We had been in the "Pro Omnipod" camp for over 4 years, with very few issues, but when they started coming fast and furious, and Insulet started turning their backs on us, saying it HAD to be user error, that positive experience turned sour very quickly.

BUT.... if it wasn't for this horrible experience, my son would have never agreed to the tSlim because he was anti-tubing. He now says he wishes he had switched sooner, so there is some positive that came out of all of this. :)

7. Snowflake

Snowflake Approved members

Thank you for sharing this! We did not receive this email, but I plan to check our inventory, as well as our log of bad pods.

While we have not had significant problems with pods in quite some time, I find it annoying that Insulet's communication hasn't improved at all since the debacle with the Freestyle testing strips.

8. rgcainmd

rgcainmd Approved members

Thanks again!

I checked our remaining stockpile of pods last night, and we have none of the defective ones. Part of me was hoping that my daughter was currently using one of the defective pods, because that might have explained the uncontrollable highs she was experiencing after changing her pod yesterday. (These crazy highs ended a two-week run of fairly stable BGs after quite a few weeks of puberty-induced insanity and many instances of rage-bolusing!) Oh well, looks like puberty picked up again where it left off...:mad:

9. caspi

caspi Approved members

I just received a letter from Insulet via Fed Ex that I had to sign for that was similar to the email that I already received. Weird....

10. KatieSue

KatieSue Approved members

From the email we got "We will also be sending a "signature required" letter to all affected customers to ensure we've reached everyone - you should expect to receive it shortly. If you have filled out the online form there is no need to fill out the paper-form as well."

I think they do this so they have some sort of signature proof that you were informed.