- advertisement -

Omnipod vent....

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by caspi, Dec 11, 2013.

1. caspi

caspi Approved members

We just had our 5th failure in a week. :mad: The one this morning was with the infamous .05 bolus undelivered. I called it in, like usual, and the CSR said they are working "diligently" to fix this problem. They want this one back but said it will be 2-3 weeks before they sent the return shipping information. So how "diligently" are they working on it if it's taking them so long to get the defective pod back to inspect?

While this was a first error of this kind for us, this is not a new issue for them. I am beyond frustrated that this can still be going on. And the irony of it all, this was one the replacement pods we received from them on Saturday. :rolleyes:

I think what upsets me most is that my usually upbeat teenage son left the house for school this morning with his head down, worried it's going to happen again at lunch. He's tired of all these pod changes. Of course if it does he can deal with it, but with everything else these kids deal with on a daily basis this is one thing that shouldn't be happening.

OK, vent over. Hope everyone has a great day!

2. StacyMM

StacyMM Approved members

My son is getting to the end of his patience, too. The failures at home are frustrating to us but don't bother him much. The ones at school or in public are hard on him, though. He hates 'squealing' in front of other people - the kids all stare, he has to leave class, he misses out on everything while taking care of it. Since he doesn't change pods independently, it means he is waiting for someone to come to the school to change it. We were at a conference this weekend and afterward he told me he wanted us to look at the Ping. He had talked to a rep about it, completely on his own! (I was really proud of him for doing this because he normally would avoid these situations :D ) I'd rather see him switch to the T:Slim, but at least he's considering a tubed pump. This is a huge step...and it's all because of technical issues with the pods.

3. Wren

Wren Approved members

We haven't had problems for awhile, but when we were it was the same for DD. She can change her own pods and surprised us by restarting a dead PDM at school with a paperclip. Still she hates the alarm and the hassle. She still talks about a tslim.

4. KatieSue

KatieSue Approved members

Ugh I'm so sorry. My kiddo is fine with everything diabetes. Except having to change out a pod before the end of 3 days. That's her line in the sand and it sends her over the edge.

Sorry you guys are going through this.

I did notice our last replacement batch the return envelope was US Post office as opposed to the previous ones that were Fedex. It must be costing them a fortune shipping all these pods around one or two at a time.

5. swellman

swellman Approved members

I seriously doubt they are short on pods to investigate so I doubt their lack of urgency for returns has anything to do with their investigation.

I would go so far as to say I would guess that their engineers know exactly why the "0.05U Left" failure is happening and that the problem has been addressed at the factory or in the parts construction. At lease I would hope so.

6. caspi

caspi Approved members

Well my instincts were right - he just called from school and had another "0.05U left" error and THEN the cannula refused to pop out on the next one. So that's 3 pods so far today within 6 hours. This is freakin' insane............... :mad::mad::mad:

ETA: I realize they are good about replacing the pods but now it's becoming an insulin issue. Thank God we get 3 vials a month. But we still have a copay for them, not to mention what insurance is paying.

7. StacyMM

StacyMM Approved members

FWIW, we pull the insulin out of pods when they fail early. DS's insulin needs have been jumping madly and our script barely covers what he needs at the new levels. So, until our next refill, we are getting every drop back out!

8. StacyMM

StacyMM Approved members

My son has been running out of insulin before three days on the last few (of those that lasted that long, of course) and it's killing him. He hates that he can't put in enough to last until the pod expires! I think he'd rather have a larger pod that held more :p So, for us, that line in the sand is no longer a line in the sand! :D

9. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

We had some problems in the beginning, then they all settled down and we had nothing but good pods. Now we've had issues with the last shipment, and I'm getting nervous all over again. I've been using the replacement pods from a different lot because I'm afraid to keep using the ones from the last shipment. You would think the pods would get more consistent and reliable over time. Someone elsewhere mentioned having a pod that didn't insert the cannula. This is a problem I've only heard of in the past week. Add it to the list, I guess. :rolleyes:

10. caspi

caspi Approved members

I called in and reported them and told the CSR that it had to be the box of pods because only 1 out of 5 in the box has worked properly. She insisted it wasn't the box. :rolleyes: Is it time for a glass of wine yet? ;)

11. KatieSue

KatieSue Approved members

Has anyone had any luck with getting insulin replaced? I have a bit of a stockpile so I've never asked. I know with the old pods they wouldn't but I thought there was some talk of a process to have it replaced with the new ones.

12. caspi

caspi Approved members

I've never asked either as we usually always have an extra vial left over at the end of the month. I just HATE, HATE, HATE all the waste of it.

13. 3kidlets

3kidlets Approved members

I hear you. We had a lot In the beginning. It has gotten better. But this morning, I dropped Hana at school and before I could even get out of the parking lot, I got a text from her that the pod was alarming.

14. sincity2003

sincity2003 Approved members

I brought up the insulin issue to the nurse clinical manager for OmniPodvwhen I talked to her on Friday. By our calculations in the 51 days we used the pod, we lost over 1000 units of insulin. Her response to me was "Did you ask your endos office to give you any sample vials? I know they get them all the time."
    I explained to her that I don't believe sample vials are to be used because their product fails. I believe those are for accidents or a family who just can't afford one more vial that month.

Just one more reason I'm sorry we ever went with them.

15. MissMadisonsMom

MissMadisonsMom Approved members

We've also had problems lately with a single box of pods we've recieved - 8 of the 10 pods have failed now (2 today). The failures have been occuring during normal wear - not bolusing. They are replacing every pod which is good. I asked today after my second call about how I go about getting the 1600 units of insulin replaced. Here's what the rep told me:
    Send a letter to Insulet's Product Support unit with a receipt for the insulin purchase. The receipt has to state the amount and cost of insulin purchased and the letter has to say how much insulin was in each failed pod. Send the letter/receipt to Insulet Product Support - 9 Oak Park Drive -- Bedford, Ma 01730

I told Madison that if she has any more failures that we will switch back to the old pods until this issue is resolved - thankfully we have a large stockpile of old pods. She was totally fine with that because pod failures were such a hassle. She was at a leadership camp today (off school campus) and had to drive home and miss an important part of the camp to change her pod. The smart girl brought an extra pod and vial of insulin with her - just in case...well her pod failed again 3 hours later.

16. Melissata

Melissata Approved members

Of course you will have to go back to the old PDM to use the old pods. It is scary to read that people are still having multiple issues. Last night we may have had a leaking pod. I had changed it out just before dinner and she soared to almost 400. Of course she wasn't paying attention to her Dex. I may have to insist she leave it on the kitchen counter, but it doesn't stay connected depending on where she is in the house. I changed the pod out and she came down within a couple of hours. I know it wasn't the meal.

17. 3kidlets

3kidlets Approved members

We've had several leaking pods. Same thing. Hana went in to the 300 and 400s. When I looked at the pod while still on her, I could smell the insulin.

18. sincity2003

sincity2003 Approved members

This morning, when it came time to do DS' Lantus, he went into meltdown mode. It stings and it stings bad. Levemir will be here after 4pm today, but he was due for a shot at 7am. I told him, he had 2 options, Pod or Lantus. He went to the closet and got out a pod, much to my surprise.
    Fill it up with 150 units of insulin, it primes just fine, inserts fine. He checks his sugar, goes to bolus and all of a sudden alarms. Screen says "pod failure, replace pod" or something to that effect.
    DS takes it off his leg and throws it across the room and says "Just give me the stupid Lantus pen".
    It's amazing to me that rather than dealing with failing pods, he'd rather inject 16 units of something that truly burns him.
    That was our last pod from our first (and only and last) shipment, so it's not even an option, and like I said, the Levemir will be in at 4pm today, so this would be a moot point.
    I'm hoping our insurance pre-authorization sails right through so we can get the Animas here and started.

19. Bballmom

Bballmom Approved members

My son just started on a pump 2 months ago. He REALLY wanted the omnipod,but he tried 3 pods in a week and they all failed. So he opted to get the Tslim. I didn't know how he was going to like the tube, but he loves it. Tslim is so easy and can hold a lot if insulin. (Another concern we had with the omnipod).