advertisement

Omnipod Users: New freestyle butterfly strips readings are inaccurate

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by TRICIA4, Oct 18, 2010.

1. swellman

swellman Approved members

An update on the issue.

I called early last week and explained I had some concerns about the new strips and the OmniPod and that I would like to get some Low/High solution to do my own checks and that I couldn't find it anywhere locally. They said they would send me some out. I received the package Friday or Saturday and when I finally got around to opening it I saw that it was a Normal control solution. So I called this afternoon to complain and they were very apologetic that I wasn't contacted when sent the Normal solution and that I would get some Low/High as soon as possible - however it was on backorder - and that's why they sent me out Normal instead. Unbelievable. Abbott's own control solution for their new strips that have new control limits is on backorder.

Who mentioned "cluster"?

2. TRICIA4

TRICIA4 Approved members

It does seem that they finally have come up with a temorary solution to this issue. They did the same for me, sent out 500 PQQ strips in return for the FAD (butterfly) strips, for what they said would be a one time only return. The rest of them will have to be approved because they have a 500 max. This will get us by until they hopefully resolve this issue.

Omnipod also called me back and overnighted me 100 strips to get by, and assured me that their CEO was working with Abbott on changing the strips item numbers, and sending out a Podwatch email to notify customers. They also said they have an endless supply of old strips. The rep did say they were going to continue to use the old strips, not the new ones, because of the inaccuracies. But who knows? That's the latest from our end!

3. dianas

dianas Approved members

Isn't that going to be a problem for Insulet in the long run though? I think it's a good short term solution but they should look towards updating the PDM to work accurately with the new strips as a long term solution. The FDA has had a problem with GDH-PQQ test strips for a long time and I thought the whole reason for the new strips was to address this issue.

The FDA is now targeting infusion pumps more aggressively too. Right now other countries have more advanced pumps than the US does for Minimed, Diesetronic, and most recently Animas meter remote. If Insulet doesn't address this issue my guess is they're going to have an even harder time getting the next generation products through FDA approval.

4. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

so, abbott lurks and can call people at home about a pump issue.. so why aren't they lurking and responding to this mess? If I were omnipod, I'd be furious.. what a mess! They could have at least given the new strips a different number than the old ones.. how is anyone suppose to order the proper strips when they both have the same number? Abbott, again, doesn't seem to care.. pushing it off on omnipod.. since they partner with ominpod its abbotts job to inform omnipod of whats going on.. not to just say its their problem, they have to deal with the FDA. How irritating..

5. timnshann

timnshann Approved members

I'm sure it was mentioned but I must have missed it reading.
    Just for clarification: What type of meter WILL work (or at least is "approved") with these new strips?

The Flash, Lite or some other kind?

I'm thinking of just picking up the meter that does work for now until this mess gets sorted out since I am now the proud owner of a TON of new butterfly strips.

6. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

The lite and flash are fine.. its the ones that are intergrated, omnipod, and questionably the navigator.

7. swellman

As far as I am concerned our OmniPod PDM works just fine with the new strips - we're using them - side-by-side comparisons and control solutions all indicate it. Lack of FDA approval does not equate to non-functional although using the old strips is certainly the most conservative decision. I sit here wondering if and/or when the new strips are FDA approved ... then what? If not then I see some extremely serious times ahead for Abbott.

For what it's worth I was told by Abbott just last week they were NOT replacing strips. It's a mess.

8. MountainJam

MountainJam Approved members

I was informed by the customer service at Insulet today that they are recommending that the new strips not be used with Omnipod because of potential inaccuracies.

Abbott is going to replace the strips we currently have. When I asked the obvious question about a long term solution, the rep there said he was going to do some research and call me back. I will provide an update when (if) he does.

9. tsoccer5

tsoccer5 Approved members

I thought ours was working ok too, but just opened a new box of strips, our 2nd or 3rd box of the new strips
    and the first one was 18 off then the 2nd time it was 36 off!

I got out our freestyle lite meter (I was testing vs our onetouch) and it was 35 off of the lite meter too!

I had tested before and it was always within 8 but now this batch looks much worse
    and it is always lower she tested below 80 each of the times and was actually fine, she feels her lows and did not feel low at all

GL

10. MountainJam

MountainJam Approved members

Update:

The Abbott rep called me back and gave me a specific point of contact at Minimed Pharmacy. He instructed me to identify DS as an Omnipod user and I was assured that they would provide the correct strips for the PDM. When I asked whether this was the final solution to the issue I was told to consider it an "interim" solution

11. swellman

Another update: Take it for what it's worth but I was informed by an Insulet rep, who spoke to a manager, that submission for approval for the new strips has been sent to the FDA. I can only assume that means that Insulet feels the new strips are comparable or better and has data to support the request. A denial would be really bad.