advertisement

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Omnipod Users: New freestyle butterfly strips readings are inaccurate

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by TRICIA4, Oct 18, 2010.

1. TRICIA4

TRICIA4 Approved members

So Abbott is going to send you the old version? The person I talked to said they didn't have any to send me, or they would. So frustrating, it all depends on who you talk to....I will have to try again.

Are the new strips working on your Navigator? If so, can you test on that every time, or no?

2. aml

aml Approved members

Follow up to new FreeStyle test strip issue

I just spent several hours talking with Insulet, Abbott, and Aetna about this issue. After several weeks of being aware of the issue, not one of these companies is taking responsibility for solving the it.

Insulet said they are filing for FDA approval to use the new strips. They gave no estimate of whether this would be expected to take weeks, months, or years. Of course from their point of view, it's not their fault Abbott changed the strips. Maybe not, but they chose to embed a FreeStyle meter and should keep up with product changes. I have tried several times to at least get them to post a message on their support website.

Abbott said they are not responsible for Insulet getting approval or for the pharmacy shipping the "wrong" strips. The new strips are approved for use in the Abbott meters that they sell. What kind of partner are they? However, in new information to me at least, they explicitly said the company is NOT discontinuing the "old" strips. They suggested I talk with the pharmacy (Aetna Mail Order) and tell them to carry old strip.

Aetna said they only carry one strip (the new version), don't know anything about the problem, won't reimburse for the "new" strips they already sent out, and won't take the strips back ("against the law"). One person suggested I just go to different pharmacies and buy them on my own. Real helpful. They said to file a grievance.

A big, confusing, circle. We are all left with no solution.

3. jill

jill Approved members

I just spoke with someone at Abbott and they once again told me the strips could not be used in the PDM, they suggested I see if my pharmacy can special order the old strips for me (still using CVS), I doubt that will happen but I guess it is worth a try. They did refer me to the Promise program as they could let me know where to find the old strips, but she wasn't really sure if they were still making the old strips.

The person I spoke with did tell me that the old strips could still be used in the Flash Meter - the last person I spoke with told me they could not be used in the flash meter. Anyone else know if they can be used in the Flash meter?

4. khannen

khannen Approved members

Exactly! And just HOW do you go to a pharmacy and order 'old' strips when the dang item number is the same for old AND new strips? The person who takes my order at Medco is NOT going to have the box of strips in her hand at the time my box is packed so she can tell me if it has a little butterfly on it. ;) The only chance is to get lucky and fine somewhere local that has old boxes on the shelves. That would be fine aside from the fact that my insurance doesn't pay unless I use mail order. It shouldn't be this difficult! Lol

5. TRICIA4

TRICIA4 Approved members

What a mess!!! So how is the FDA going to approve a strip that is so inaccurate, is this the real reason it is not FDA approved to begin with? If they are continuing to make the old strips, then why do they have the same product #? As if they have been replaced with the new and improved strip? Please tell me why no one (Abbott and Insulet) cares!!!!

6. TRICIA4

TRICIA4 Approved members

I called Abbott from Walgreens and they said to buy the Freestyle Freeedom Lite, even though the package clearly reads on the front "Use only with Freestyle Lite Test Strips". Another unknown...

7. swellman

swellman Approved members

All of this chatter from the different parties is maddening. If Insulet is filing for FDA approval then that implies the strips work fine and it's a paperwork issue - which I tend to believe. Also, pharmacies CAN'T order old strips since Abbott is using the same NDC number and every pharmacist I have spoken to including Medco agrees. It also REALLY infuriates me that I spent two and a half hours on the phone with both parties and all I got was 200 old strips and a new meter and 900 new strips which they are NOW telling people not to use?

8. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

I don't think it's that no one cares. I think that (inconceivable as it might seem) no one at Abbott appeared to take into account the fact that they partner with a company who has a product that is only FDA approved to use the old strips. I'm sure Insulet is furious about this. Especially if the new integrated Dex/Pod PDA currently under FDA review was produced only for use with the old strips.

There is a word for Abbott Diabetes. It starts with "cluster" and ends with "uck." :rolleyes:

9. Kunkfam

Kunkfam Approved members

I was told pretty much just that from Insulet. That basically it is just a matter of paperwork. They told me that if the box says you can use it with the freestyle flash meter (and it does!) then there is no reason it wouldn't work in the pdm since they are the exact same!

eta that I also used the testing solution today on the new butterfly strips with our pdm and got a reading of 90 which is fine! I am really confused why it seems as though only select pdm's are having problems and not others!

10. TRICIA4

TRICIA4 Approved members

I couldn't agree more...

11. swellman

I just checked my PDM against a brand new Freestyle Freedom.

Old Strips PDM 131 Freedom 136
    New Strips PDM 130 Freedom 133

I didn't see the need to check the control solution since my last experiment showed similar close readings.

I can say that these strips had the same code so I didn't have to change between strips - it is, obviously, really important to make sure the meters are "dialed in" to the correct code. Also, we are using the new style PDM - 13050-AW Rev C.

Personally, I feel it is most likely that the strips work equivalently or better and that the FDA approval was a mix up between Abbott and Insulet. Abbott can't file for FDA approval on behalf of Insulet and maybe Insulet was left in the dark as to the new strips. Perhaps Abbott thought that using the same NDC number would automatically infer approval since it infers an equivalent product.

I would first try another lot of strips as well. It's entirely possible that it's a LOT variation. I am using LOT 1021118 Code 16.

If I could demonstrate differing BG values using a PDM and another Abbott meter, like my experiment above - perhaps duplicated, I would call Insulet and ask for a replacement PDM. If the strips are supposed to be equivalent I would be left with the conclusion that my PDM was the problem.

12. aml

aml Approved members

UPDATE on Strips

I verified that in fact the "new" strips and the "old" strips have the same NDC code (drug code) because Abbott considers them the same product. Hence, the reason the pharmacy doesn't know the difference.

Also, talked to Abbott again just now and the best they could do was offer to exchange some of the strips and give me a phone number to find another pharmacy.

I have a call into the product group at Abbott that works with Insulet to see if I can get any really assistance.

As was noted earlier, the strips probably work fine but I'm not willing to risk my daughter's health to find out.

13. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

We're having a high day, but I'll post our results anyway:

New strips
    PDM 211
    Flash 216

Old strips - same drop of blood
    PDM 229
    Flash 247

Precision Xtra 219

14. swellman

Both Old and New had the same CODE?

15. danismom79

No, I had to change the codes on the meters.

16. swellman

All 4 readings and a code change in between was from the same finger stick?

17. danismom79

The 2 old strips were code 13, the 2 new strips were code 16. Only the old strips came from the same drop of blood.

18. Kunkfam

Kunkfam Approved members

I was thinking the same thing earlier regarding the PDM's. I would think maybe it is more of a pdm problem over a strip problem or possibly a lot of strips as you said. I have lot #1021513 code 16 as well.

19. swellman

LOL Sorry for the 20 questions. What was the time between new and old readings? I'm just trying to get a feel for if all 4 can be compared or if enough time passed between for the BG to rise as much as it looks.

Regardless, the MAX RPD for all your measurements was 13.5% which is not a really big difference. The difference on your PDM was 3.6%. If my math is correct, the calibration range on the strips allow for a 40% RPD difference.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2010
  20. danismom79

It is strange that the old strips were so off compared to all the others. I did them at the same time, so a matter of seconds.

ETA: And I did the old strips first.