advertisement

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Omnipod Users: New freestyle butterfly strips readings are inaccurate

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by TRICIA4, Oct 18, 2010.

1. TRICIA4

TRICIA4 Approved members

Abbott has stopped making the traditional freestyle navigator strips that are used with the Omnipod. They have been replaced by the new Freestyle Butterfly strips. These strips are not FDA approved for use with the Omnipod, and many users are reporting inaccuracies when using the new strips vs. the old strips, or any other test strip and meter. Here are a few examples:

Omnipod with butterfly strip BS 50
    Omnipod original freestyle strip BS 89
    Butterfly strip with Freestyle meter 91
    Accucheck meter and strip 92

This is just one example of the inaccuracies we have noted. If you call Abbott, they will refer you to a person who will try to track down old strips to use with the Omnipod until they resolve this issue. We just received a 3 month supply of butterfly strips, and our mail order pharmacy does not have any more of the old ones. They have instructed us to buy a freestyle freedom and test with the new strips, and manually enter the bs into the Omnipod.
    This is so frustrating, but scarier yet, they are not notifying Omnipod customers that this is going on. But call them, and they are well aware. Please double check your blood sugar readings if you are using these new strips with the Omnipod.

2. Kunkfam

Kunkfam Approved members

I haves spoken with Abbott and the Omnipod people about the strips and both of them basically told me that they just were not supposed to recommend omnipod users use the new strips because it wasn't a part of the FDA approval but that the PDM and the Freestyle flash are made with the same parts and basically the strips should work fine. I too have done side by side comparisons with the flash and the PDM with the same strips and the results were exactly the same on both occasions! I believe that another member here has done their own test as well will similar results. The new strips seemed to be very accurate. I really hope that the FDA will hurry up and get this cleared up.

3. TRICIA4

TRICIA4 Approved members

I'm not sure what to think...I know several individuals that have reported the same inaccuracies that we have. I believe it is something people should take note of, and be aware of. I know that the people I spoke to at Abbott and Omnipod have had many reports of users complaining of inaccuracies. Perhaps its random, depending on the vial or the strip... I just need to know I can trust it, and now I don't.

4. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

They are still making the 'classic' strips.. you need to make sure that wherever you get your strips from that they know this and order you the 'classic' (without the butterfly) strips.

5. swellman

swellman Approved members

6. buggle

buggle Approved members

Even if the meter in your OmniPod isn't reading the same as others you're testing against, you don't have to use the OmniPod meter. We have never used it. We always enter the BG.

7. TRICIA4

TRICIA4 Approved members

Just for the record, I did another comparison this afternoon. This is the third time that the butterfly strips were exactly 30 points lower than the original strips. 30 points makes a huge difference to us! Each time giving us a low BS when she was actually in perfect range. Also keep in mind, she can tell when she is low, and felt fine at the time, which reassures me that the original is the accurate one, not the butterfly. Abbott told me when I spoke to them on friday, that they cannot send me the original strips because they are no longer making them and have been replaced by the butterfly. I also tested each strip with control solution and the butterfly tested 82 (which is not in the normal range, but not low either, the original tested 92, which is normal range.) Any insight to why some people are having issues, and some are not?

8. Kunkfam

Kunkfam Approved members

I would like to know why some people are having issues and others not as well! I also tested them out again this afternoon on my son and the flash meter said 130 and the pdm said 127. It is really odd and if Abbott is not making the original strips anymore then surely they are good strips. They are approved in the flash mete which is the same as the pdm.

9. annaluvspink

annaluvspink Approved members

hmmm....this post really got to me because we just had our endo appt. and the CDE checked our meters for accuracy against her, official meter and she said that we had greater than 20% discrepancy and she wanted to check again. The second check showed a 19-20% difference, which apparently, is acceptable. (for example, PDM Freestyle butterfly strips = 172, doctor's meter = 225 *I'm going off of memory*) I'll be calling Omnipod right now.

10. khannen

khannen Approved members

I'm glad to read this thread. I thought I was just losing my mind instead. We just got the new butterfly strips last week. There have been several times over the past 3 days where the new strips haven't seemed accurate. Shealyn uses Navigator cgms and tests on her omnipod for mealtimes were 20-50 points off! Usually, it's almost right on and within 10. Unfortunately, I only had a few tests strips of a different kind for a backup so I now have nothing to compare it too. On to plan B and a few phone calls tomorrow I guess. Great... ugh :rolleyes:

11. TRICIA4

TRICIA4 Approved members

Are the new strips working with the Navigator? We were on the Navigator, but now we are on the Dexcom. I was calibrating the Dexcom with the readings from the Omnipod, so it screwed up our CGM readings as well...until we figured this whole mess out! I went to Walgreens and bought a freestyle freedom meter, to get by. That was the most advice Abbott gave me, and said they would mail me a free one, which would get here in a week! Another week of inaccurate readings, no thanks. Otherwise those strips are no good to us, and I have a 3 month supply!

Let me know what they tell you tomorrow...very very frustrating.

12. swellman

For one you have a brand new meter that the strips ARE approved for so I'm thinking they are good for something.

13. deafmack

deafmack Approved members

That must be so frustrating. I am surprised that Abbot would get the new strips passed without making sure they worked with devices like the Omnipod, etc. It seems they wanted to speed up the approval process. I would definitely let the FDA know about this issue.

14. TRICIA4

TRICIA4 Approved members

Which is why I said "otherwise". Other than using the new meter, the strips are no good to us. There are many reasons why we are on the Omnipod, and one of them is so we can test on it, and not have to carry around a seperate meter, and manual enter in BS, which by the way, increases the probability of error.

I am happy that you are not experiencing the inaccuracies that many others are, but that is no reason to scrutinize me. It certainly doesn't mean that you won't experience this in the future. I would continue to do your comparisons every once in a while...

15. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Unless they start producing the old strips again, Abbott is kind of screwing Omnipod. How are they supposed to market their system when there are no FDA-approved strips to use with it? I bet Insulet is P.O'd about this.

16. jill

jill Approved members

I am also getting readings of 30 points lower each time (same blood sample). I went looking for a Freestyle Freedom meter and all I can find is the Lite version. Very frustrating. I think my next call is to Abbott to see if I can get a meter from them. I am almost out of the old strips, so I need to get moving. On a positive note, the new strips are great - my son loves them.

17. BKKT10

BKKT10 Approved members

We just discovered an issue with the Freestyle strips as well, although we do not use the Omnipod. We ordered strips through Express Scripts and they sent us "Freestyle" test strips (the new ones with the butterfly). They looked like the old strips and fit fine into our meter (we use the Freestyle Lite). However, we then received another supply of strips from ES and those strips were "Freestyle Lite" test strips. When my DH called ES to question the difference, we were told that both sets of strips should work fine and the only reason the first box didn't say Freestyle Lite was because they weren't approved by the FDA yet? So of course I freaked out because we have been using the "wrong" test strips for a month and K doesn't use the CGM yet so we have no clue if her readings have been skewed or not!

Very frustrating!

18. swellman

I'm not scrutinizing you. I agree with you on the convenience and absolutely would not want to have to use a separate meter. I am confused, however, with why one strip would work fine on one device and not another.

I am wondering if anyone is using new, fresh control solutions to test the units side-by-side? I caution using blood unless it's a nice big drop and the two units are nearly simultaneously used to get a sample - from the same finger stick. Are people remembering to change the code each time if they happen to be different. Another thing to caution is that, with only two meters it's virtually impossible to pick the "correct" one.

I intend to do another side-by-side comparison for my own sanity.

19. khannen

khannen Approved members

I had two meters with strips in them ready and waiting. Big blood drop and then immediate back to back readings. The difference was over 40 points! However, I tend to believe the Omnipod reading was the false one as the other was right on with her Navigator. If it was just one or two readings out of whack, I would think it was a fluke, but this is happening with almost every test now. There is clearly something wrong here!

I spoke with both Insulet and Abbott this morning. Insulet's immediate response was do NOT use the new freestyle strips with the Omnipod pdm. When I asked how users were supposed to know that, she stammered and said she had heard it would go out in a 'pod watch' newsletter shortly. She also said she has been dealing with many customers with the exact same problem for the past few days. They have just been calling Abbott together and getting replacement strips.

Abbott's first response was basically as if she hadn't heard anything about it. Once she understood that both items numbers are the SAME, she realized my problem and I was given to a manager. Apparently, they are going to swap out the 800 strips I just bought with 800 of the old version. I could not get a straight answer on if the 'old' strips are still being made.

It's great that you can cover me for the next 3 mths, but THEN what? I know I can use a different meter and manually enter a BG, but at this point it's the principle behind it. You have a partnership with Insulet for equipment that uses 'Freestyle' strips and then change the strip so that it can't be used?? The Abbott manager (and Insulet rep) both told me that it wasn't approved by the FDA for use with Omnipod. Hello people!??!

20. khannen

khannen Approved members

Not too sure on that one. Abbott makes the navigator so I'd like to think it would work with their own equipment! :rolleyes: I had a heck of a time calibrating with the new strips yesterday though. It kept failing and telling me to redo it 1 hour. This went on for 5-6 hours. The numbers were accurate each time though and within just a few points of each other. In this case, it looks like the blood reading was right but something was causing an error anyway. There have been times when I've had a calibration fail once or twice, but never to that extent before.