advertisement

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Omnipod untethered

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by mamamccoy87, Jun 15, 2017.

1. mamamccoy87

mamamccoy87 Approved members

Does anyone use their omnipod but take Lantus for basal? My daughter wants to try and see if it works better for her.

2. Ali

Ali Approved members

Not sure about the Omnipod but with other pumps I know people use a combo pump and basal shot, typically the basal given is a small amount of the basal given by the pump. It helps to cover degradation of the site or a clog etc. So I have not done but when I looked at it we (my endo and I) looked at the lowest basal amount I had over the 24 hours and took that as my shot amount and then reduced my pump basal by that amount. I never used it but that was our approach. Further clarification, the lowest per hour basal amount I used was at the time something like .35 of a unit so we went a bit lower than that, .25 and figured out what to give in Lantus for a 24 hour dose of that hourly level. It was really a plan designed to cover clogs and degrading sites. I would really really work with my Endo on this:) It is tricky. Good luck.

3. cdninct

cdninct Approved members

My son uses a Medtronic pump, but we do Lantus for about 50% of his basal (while keeping him connected to his pump all the time). It works very well for him!

4. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

when we were on the POD, we did 70% from Lantus and only 30% from pump basal. we loved it because we had such a hard POD start, and it really helped when we got a pod alarm and were not ready or able to change pod right then and there.