- advertisement -

Omnipod to use One Touch Test Strips in future PDM's....

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by caspi, Feb 16, 2012.

1. buggle

buggle Approved members

We never use the meter in the PDM, so I'm not bothered, even though I hate OneTouch.

The customer service folks at Insulet aren't saying much, but they replaced our PDM really easily a while back. That made me think they are probably ok with unloading them for folks having OmniPod issues. I asked if she'd heard anything about when the new system is coming out and she said soon. I told her I hoped it would resolve the ongoing pod issues for me and others and she said they were hopeful it would. Every other time I've spoken to an Insulet rep, they've tried to pretend like the issues aren't widespread. But from my conversation that day, the staff is as sick of it as we users. I sure hope the new system is more reliable and I hope that Swellman is right about the timing!

2. caspi

caspi Approved members

I certainly hope you are correct! Does anyone know if the new pods require the new PDM or will they be compatible with the ones we have now? If a new PDM is required for the new pods, it's kind of ridiculous to put out a new PDM this year and then a new one next year. These things aren't cheap.

3. swellman

swellman Approved members

It's my understanding that the new pods require a new PDM, and that they would be provided free and first to existing customers, but who knows if my info is accurate.

4. bnmom

bnmom Approved members

That's what they told me too.

And barf on the One Touch switch. I love the zipwick on Freestyle.

5. funnygrl

funnygrl Approved members

I hate OneTouch so badly in it's current state, but the new IQ meter they're coming out with looks interesting. It is going to have strips that take less blood, FINALLY! Maybe that's the strip they'll integrate with? We can only hope. I was thinking the Omnipod might be my next pump when the smaller pods come out.

6. caspi

caspi Approved members

All good to know! Thanks guys! :)

7. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Nope, they just take a lot of blood regardless. We are stuck with them because my daughter LOVES the ping remote.

8. Jordansmom

Jordansmom Approved members

Since the PDM will use new One Touch Verio strips, it's impossible to say how the change will affect Omnipod users. The strip is very different looking. It only uses .4 blood.

Anybody outside the US seen a Verio? I wonder when we'll get it here.

http://www.onetouch.com.au/features

9. lakevictoria

lakevictoria Approved members

This is exactly what I've heard as well. I was told that it's coming off the FDA table in March and they want to have it ready for consumers before some big diabetes convention in June. It will have a blue cannula to make it more visible in its window and the adhesive will adhere to the new shaped (rounder and smaller) pod better. Yes, we are getting a new PDM as well. I never thought about asking about the strips. Personally, I like the minute ammount that the strips require. She recommended stocking up on our current pods (and I would assume strips as well if they will be changing) so that we'd have enough back up for whenever we need. I love the idea of having 2 pumps, esp with all the traveling we do!:cwds:

10. TysSis

TysSis Approved members

It's already out in the U.S. It should be available in some pharmacies, but since it was only released a few weeks ago, it's probably not widespread yet. :)

11. mocha

mocha Approved members

12. TysSis

TysSis Approved members

Right! Basically what it's saying is that there was an error discovered when a certain amount of memory is stored in the OneTouch Verio IQ, it will reset itself and then when it is turned back on, the meter will go back into set up mode, and ask you to set the time and date. Once it's reset, the meter will be fine, no memory is lost, and the accuracy of the meter is not affected at all, but OneTouch decided that instead of potentially having a customer not be able to test (if they are unaware of this error), they are actively recalling all meters. They have already corrected the error and are working on producing new OneTouch Verio IQ meters that have an updated software that corrects this error. :) If you have a Verio IQ meter, they are requesting that you call in and report it to see if you have an affected serial number, in which case they will replace the meter once the new ones become available, and at the time the new meter is received, they will ask you to send it back.

13. katerinas

katerinas Approved members

Just to add that I too hate the One Touch!

14. garidan

garidan New Member

No delay

Insulet writes that omnipod gen 2 requires a different new PDM, they'll find the way to discount its price from the first pods sent and it will go to market this year, using Abbott strips.
    In 2013 they will sell the same PDM with Verio strips ( very good readings and 0.4 blood drop), so no delay this year, apart FDA approval timing ...

In Europe it is already approved for Abbott strips, but it is still not sold anywhere.
    In USA they want to substitute all PDMs with new ones within 2012 because they wanna sell only new pods.
    So only new customers next year will get lifescan PDMs, and if you want one you'll have to buy a second one.
    I think in the future, if your PDM gets broken, you'll get only a lifescan one.

Everything is reported here (link)