- advertisement -

Omnipod - Spontaneous Pod Errors

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Lorraine, Feb 7, 2008.

1. Lorraine

Lorraine Approved members

Hi all,

My son has been using the Omnipod system since April. We have the occassional pod error, but since December it seems to be getting out of control. We have had multiple pods alarm for no apparent reason. He's just sitting there and the dreaded "beeeeeeeep" starts. It just happened the other night and the pod had only been on an hour. It's not due to occlusions. His BGs are almost almost fine before and after. We've contacted Insulet concerned we got a bad batch of pods. They think not but have of course replaced all the errored pods. It happened with one of the replacements - a totally different batch. We have days where he's got the pod for a lovely 3 days. But where that was once the norm, the norm has now become the unscheduled pod change due to error.

Is anyone else having this problem?

Kind regards,
    Lorraine

2. CatiesDad

CatiesDad Approved members

We have also started experience far too many pod problems. Really started on Dec 24th of all days. Had 3 malfunction in a row on the same day/night. We were concerned it was a bad box (batch) but Insulet didn't think so. Provided the error codes but still don't know what the issue was. Pods were replaced of course. Since then we have had about 4 more pod issues.

Still like the OP but if this continues this could change.

I hope that Insulet's growth/expansion is not going to be at the expense of producing a quality product.

3. CC'sMom

CC'sMom Approved members

We had a few. Last night after filling the new pod it started alarming like crazy. (It was a replacement pod) So she just took the insulin out and activated another one.

I think it's just one of those things that are going to happen. Fortunately Insulet is great with replacements. I'm sure it's more frustrating for you because your dealing with a little guy who probably doesn't want to sit still for another pod change.

4. Lorraine

Actually Caleb is great about the changes. It's just disruptive. We literally had smooth sailing with no pod issues for a couple of months and within just a couple weeks we had about 10 of these errors. Which is why I was convinced it was something with the batch. Luckily they haven't happened overnight and only one happened at school and it was at the end of the day so I was on my way to pick him up anyway. But I've begun to worry about school days. Perhaps once we get out of this batch....

Oh - PS - we also had a pod where the needle did not completely retract and thus seemed to clog the cannula. We didn't notice this until we had some high numbers (Christmas night - what a joy) but we now try to keep an eye out for it.

Lo

5. CC'sMom

CC'sMom Approved members

Yikes! That sounds painful! He didn't feel it? That is one we've never had!

6. jdr

jdr Approved members

we have had several,but most of them have been while the pod was priming.

7. Lorraine

No, it didn't seem to be poking him at all. It had retracted somewhat, just not completely.

8. akrickard

akrickard Approved members

We've had the same. Mostly caused by static electricity.

9. Lisa M

Lisa M Approved members

we also had some pod problems one of the guys at insulet was convinvced that static electricity could cause the pod to deactivate itself. Which is really inconvent at the playground with the plastic slides. As most of you have stated insulet was great about replacing the "bad" pods.

10. vettechmomof2

vettechmomof2 Approved members

THey also stated to use dryer sheets or the spray onstatic electricy stuff(technical word here):D.
    It should help reduce the static thus not causing errors.
    Good luck guys,
    Allene

11. Lorraine

Well this is very interesting. So if it's static, what do you do with the dryer sheets/static spray? Use them with your clothes or store the pods with the sheet or what?

12. vettechmomof2

We were told to put a dryer sheet in their pocket or purse or something. If the spray on just spritz the clothes near the area of the pod.
    THe reference numbers were ending on 81 for the error code.
    Good luck,
    ALlene

13. vettechmomof2

I did also want to say that we have not done this yet and have had no more problems.
    Just so everyone is aware. That is just want Insulet told us to do. I have been to lazy to do it.:eek:
    Allene

14. Dawnsmom

Dawnsmom Approved members

Both our endo and Insulet themselves have confirmed to us that there has been in an increase in pod errors (especially when priming) recently. Insulet told us they have fixed the problem but now it is a matter of all the affected pods that are still "out there" will continue to see the problem but things should get much better once the market is clear of them and only the new ones are in use.

15. jodiv

jodiv Approved members

Yep, three pods here with priming errors in a week. All were from the same lot, and all have been replaced.

Jodi

16. rmccully2000

rmccully2000 Approved members

same error here in the last month.. three pods error while priming.. all replaced.. last one was two weeks ago.
    Becky
    Mom to Mason, 7 Dexcom, Omnipod

17. KTurner52

KTurner52 Approved members

We have had 4 pods replaced within about a week. Two were priming errors, another alarmed while my DD was at the bus stop in the morning--not sure what was up with that one, and I can't remember what the other problem was. The dryer sheet suggestion is interesting--I might have to try it. Even if it doesn't work the kid will smell better:D

18. Lorraine

As always you all have provided the answers I needed - thank you! It's a shame we have to wait out the batch, but, oh well - it's a minor inconvenience if indeed the issue has been resolved. Caleb went to school with a dryer sheet in his pocket today. Who knows if it mattered.

Thanks again!

Lorraine

19. Tripper

Tripper Approved members

We are near a 20% failure rate on pods. Mostly priming failures. I hope they have this under control. Nothing that has put our kid in harm.

20. Rick

Rick Approved members

Which lot numbers are having problems? When did you receive them from Insulet?