- advertisement -

Omnipod rash

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by LauraC, Jan 4, 2015.

1. LauraC

LauraC Approved members

My 3 year old daughter has recently been getting a rash when I remove her omnipod. She didn't have any issues until a couple weeks ago. Today she actually had hives in the outline of where her pod was. I called the endo and they said it is probably a reaction to the adhesive. I know there are lots of options for barrier wipes, etc, but where do I start?

2. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Not exactly the same, but my son recently started reacting to the Dexcom tape. I highly, highly recommend Tough Pads. You will find them next to the Band-Aids in most any drug store. We insert right through it, but with the Pod, I think you'll have to punch a hole in the Tough Pad to insert through. Anyway, without it, Jack was getting a terrible, weeping rash with the Dex, but with it, he wears it for 2 weeks and when we take it off, his skin is perfect.

3. LauraC

LauraC Approved members

Thank you! Does the tough pad stick or do you need an additional adhesive?

4. StacyMM

StacyMM Approved members

We use barrier wipes for my son and it works pretty well. He gets hives anywhere we miss and we have a cream we put on bad spots to help with healing, but the barrier wipes are usually effective, even for Dexcoms that he wears for 2+ weeks. (He's allergic to the OmniPod and Dexcom adhesives.)

I buy it on Amazon. Two we've had success with are http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003MX3I4C/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000G1ZQ52/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

5. hawkeyegirl

The Tough Pad sticks well, but since we wear the sensors for 2 weeks, we do tack it down with additional tape. For the 3 day wear period of the Pod, you may well not need any additional tape.

6. LauraC

LauraC Approved members

Thank you both.

Any suggestions for removal? We use Uni-Solve right now (for pods and dexcom sensors). I've been trying to let them soak for a few minutes before removal, but now I'm wondering if the uni-solve is adding to the rash.

7. hawkeyegirl

You could try baby oil. I know some people use it, and I assume it is pretty gentle on the skin.

8. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

Do the Tough Pads get wet during showers, etc.? We bought some, but my daughter doesn't want anything wet against her skin, so thus far we've just done a layer of hypafix between the sensor and her skin. It definitely helps, but her skin is still red in the oval of the sensor tape.

9. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

I use opsite tape to tape over it and the tough pad doesn't get water under it. The tough pad doesn't really absorb water so it isn't like it can really get wet. But doesn't the hypafix get wet in the shower?

10. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

Hypafix gets wet but dries out. She really dislikes Tagaderm and IV 3000 and has not be interested in trying Opsite, but maybe I should order some.

11. hawkeyegirl

I don't think water gets under the Tough Pad. And the top of it is like a slippery band-aid sort of material, so it doesn't absorb water.

12. roo'smom

roo'smom Approved members

The "magic" fix to my dd's adhesive problem was Flonase (yes, the nasal spray). We spray it on the skin where the pod/dex is going to go, let it dry, and apply over it. We had tried numerous barrier wipes, physical barriers (tough pads, opsite, tegaderm, even duct tape!), Benadryl, etc. The Flonase is the only thing that allowed her to keep wearing the pod. You have a ton of good suggestions here - one of them is bound to work!