- advertisement -

Omnipod questions

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Catiesmom, Jun 15, 2012.

1. Catiesmom

Catiesmom Approved members

We are trying the cut the cord program and this is day 4 being pod people. She doesn't miss the pump hanging off of her but does think the pod is chunky. We have it on her belly and that's fine during the day, but at night she feels it when she's laying on her side. Other sites wouldn't work so much either, arm - laying on side at nite would bother her, back - she also lays on her back, butt - dexi is there, leg - forget that.

The Insulet rep told our endo that the new smaller pods will be out by August/Sept, we hope this is true.

Her numbers have been great to low, either the longer cannula or the summer activity or both are giving her great numbers. Knock on Wood

Beach - How do you protect the pod from sand?

Have you had problems with static causing pod failure? Any way to prevent that?

Any other things cause pod failures for you?

We have the summer to get used to this before 7th grade starts~~

Catie, almost 12 and growing fast
    dx 6/19/09, Animas Ping since 9/28/10, Dexcom since 10/14/11, Omnipod 6/11/12

2. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

We are going to try Cut the Cord this summer, so I hope you don't mind if I chime in with a question:

Does the child have to stay near you as the bolus completes, like you do with the Ping, or can they walk away as soon as it starts delivering?

3. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

We don't go to the beach much, but we haven't had problems with sand as long as the pod is covered with clothing (and as long as the tape is secure all around). There is some kind of self-stick vet wrap that some people use for arm or leg sites. Other people can chime in with those tips, we just haven't had to use anything yet.

Static has to be pretty severe, in my experience. I had a few get knocked out while they were still in the package because of the combination of my winter coat and my own body being extremely "shocky" in the winter.

Once the bolus is delivered, they are free to roam. They don't have to wait until it's finished. The PDM will beep and you'll see that the bolus is going. We have to be pretty close to deliver the bolus. I don't remember the distance the manual gives (5 feet?), but whatever it is, we haven't had luck with it.

If you're too far, and the PDM is trying to communicate with the pod, there's a chance it will give up and assume there is no active pod. It will "deactivate" the pod, and you'll have to replace it if you want to bolus or get a status. However, the pod will not actually be deactivated, the PDM just thinks it is. The pod will still deliver basal.

4. Kunkfam

Kunkfam Approved members

You do not have to remain near the PDM after delivery begins! We love the pod and are so excited for the new ones to come out!!

5. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

That's good. He would be super annoyed if he had to hang around while a bolus completed.

It will be interesting to see if he tolerates the weight of the pods on his body or not. I hope he does. It would help us an awful lot with swimming.

There is a thread that Denise posted down in the insulin pump forum that says new pods won't be out until the end of the year at the earliest.

6. caspi

caspi Approved members

Like anything new, it takes some time for them to get used to having the pod attached 24/7. My son wears his on his upper thighs and while we haven't been to the beach, he swims daily in our pool and we keep it wrapped with vetwrap with no problems. Static can be an issue in the dry winter months - we rub a bounce dryer sheet over the area and that seems to help.

As to the long-awaited smaller pods, it's hard to tell when they'll finally be available. :rolleyes:

Hope this helps! :)

7. 5kids4me

5kids4me Approved members

My answers are in different colors above.

8. swellman

swellman Approved members

Aug/Sept is just a few month more than the last update ... it's a moving goal post.

Sand has no impact on the pod. The PDM needs to be kept from the elements though.

A few people have reported static but we've not had any. I don't think the dryer sheet technique is of much help.

There have been other failures but I can't say of the top of my head that the cause was known for certain. Always prepare for a failure.

9. caspi

caspi Approved members

I'm curious - if you have never had any static, how do you know the dryer sheet technique doesn't work? :confused:

It was an Omnipod customer service rep that suggested we rub the clothes around the area of the pod with a dryer sheet. In OUR experience when we slack off not doing this, we have a tendency to have more issues with static. Again, this is only an issue during the winter months when it is dry.

10. denise3099

denise3099 Approved members

We do our pod training tomorrow!!! I'm a nervous wreck. I can talk anybody through anything on the revel, I know it inside out. I'm scare I won't know what I'm doing with the new pdm. Aiy.

Our rep said new pods are end of year at the earliest. Who knows? I don't think the reps will even know until the day before. I know this, when it happens, you'll hear it here first. This board is where I get all my info. :D

Good luck podders. :)

11. sooz

sooz Approved members

The PDM is very intuitive and easy to use. I know you won't have any trouble. Also if you ever have any questions the customer service is excellent. I once got an error message that I didnt understand and called, and they explained what I needed to do in an easy step by step way. Let us know how you like it!

You do have to be close to the pod to bolus, but once you hit confirm and the bolus is delivering, you are good to go. We find we have to be within inches of the pod to deliver the bolus, but it tells you if you are not close enough. It is still great in restaurants, etc.

12. Traci

Traci Approved members

Podders for years here! Ds wears his pods on backs of arms, tips of thighs, and upper buttocks. Endo said he was too thin for belly sites and ds has said the ones we tried hurt while the other sites do not.

Lots of sand and water experience for us...we wrap with vet wrap and have never lost a pod due to water/ beach. Purchase vet wrap at pet store...works better than the human stuff, is cheaper, and you get more on a roll.

Don't think we've ever lost a pod due to static, but have lost some due to magnetic toys being too close to site (meaning, ds dropped the toy onto his pod). Never tried the dryer sheet thing because static doesn't seem to be an issue for us.

We had one particular shipment with several bad pods, but other than that, pod failures are few and far between. Can't remember the last one we had (but I'm sure now that I've written this, we'll have ten in a row at the most inopportune times!).

I wouldn't hold my breath on the smaller pods. We've been promised those for a long time now. A friend who is also a pod rep has seen them and even touched them, but who knows when they'll finally be out.

I will say that switching to a tubeless pump was a great decision for us! Life altering for me and much easier and better for ds.

13. LoveMyHounds

LoveMyHounds Approved members

My DD got the OmniPod 2 months ago and we love it! It is very easy to use and the customer service is excellent!

14. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

We use the lower back all the time with no problem. No need to worry about the pod at the beach but do keep it protected from the sun. We were also told the smaller pod will be on by August (of 2009).

15. dqmomof3

dqmomof3 Approved members

We use the upper buttocks area and have done great with it. Many adhesive issues, but that's just DD and her crazy sensitive skin! Overall, we've been extremely happy with the pod. I have seen and held the smaller pod and cannot WAIT for it to come out. Of course, it was in July of 2009 when I did this, so I'm not getting my hopes up much for a quick release of the new pod size.

We went from the MM pump to the OmniPod, and had no trouble at all navigating the new PDM. I think you will find it really easy. Go to the myomnipod website and watch the tutorials. That's probably all the training you will need if you've already been pumping with the Revel. We didn't do any training. We just switched and went with it! :)

16. buckmarko

buckmarko Approved members

We've only been on the Pod for about a month. DS has used his stomach, upper buttocks (above waist band), and arms. He ran into a wall 3 hours after our first pod change at home and it deactivated the Pod. Then yesterday, my 2 sons were wrestling, and somehow it got deactivated. (Never got the full story!) It was still adhered both times, but it won't let you re-activate it. We haven't run into the static issue yet, but we'll keep it in mind this winter. We had issues with the PDM giving low BG's, and customer service sent us a new one with all the supplies to send our other one back. We've had a good experience so far. Glad we (he) chose OmniPod.

17. manda81

manda81 Approved members

Our experiences have been about the same as everyone else's... and I also agree about not holding your breath on the smaller pods. We were assured they were coming out when we started as well, in Nov. of 2010. I think they said by March of '11.

We use arms & tummy, haven't had any issues with failures (other than one box a while back, but they changed how they ship them, and that seems to have helped!). In the past 6 months or so, we haven't had any problems at all.

We haven't had any issue with sand/water, we do use vet wrap if we know we are going to be in the water all day, we get it at Tractor Supply in a ton of different colors, for about $3 a pack.

No issue with static, but I've heard sticking a dryer sheet in their pockets will help with that.

Insulet has been great anytime we have had an issue, they have replaced every pod that did fail, and answered any questions we've had.

18. jakdmm

jakdmm Approved members

My daughter has been podding for a year. She wears it on her bottom, arms and back. She wants to try it on her legs but she is in gymnastics and I'm worried that she will rip if off on the bars or during floor work.

We had many issues with pod failures due to static and dryer sheets do work for us. My daughter had many pods alarm from that static on plastic slides. My daugher now puts a dryer sheet around the pod (in panties if on bottom, shorts if on back and arm band if on arm) at recess at preschool and any time she wants to go down a slide. Since we have been doing this, we haven't had any pod failures.

Also, we went to the beach last month and we didn't have any issues with sand although I worried about it the entire time.

Good luck!