- advertisement -

Omnipod/pump selection for 6 year old boy

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by momof1CWDinohio, Jul 3, 2010.

1. momof1CWDinohio

momof1CWDinohio Approved members

My son is 6, was diagnosed about 3 months ago and will enter first grade in the fall. We are starting to think about the pump and would like for him to have a pump by the end of the year. We have done some research, but admittedly not a whole lot. But the Omnipod intrigues us....I like that there is no tubing and that it does not have to be disconnected for bathing and swimming. However, when I asked my endo about it, she was VERY opposed to him going on the Omnipod. She had a bad experience with the Omnipod malfunctioning in 2 of her patients over a year ago, and she refuses to prescribe it. She told us she has 4 other pumps she likes (can't remember them now), but they all have tubing, which I am not sure about.

So my questions are:

1) Is my 6 year old son too young for Omnipod or should I fight this?
    2) For those who are using the Omnipod and for those who have researched it, do you recommend it?
    3) Is there another pump you would recommend and why? Is the tubing not an issue for most?

Thanks in advance for all of your replies!

2. McKenna'smom

McKenna'smom Approved members

We just started pumping. We chose the Animas Ping. I liked it for the remote feature, my daughter liked it because it came in pink. Anyway, we bought her a pump pouch that the tubing threads through the back, so far we have no issues with the tubing. Also, you can hardly tell she's wearing it under her clothes.

We didn't choose the Omnipod, because McKenna would have had to keep track of the remote while at school. With the ping she can still manually punch in the BG and carb counts for the day, while the remote stays safely at home. Also, I didn't like how noticeable the Omnipod was under clothing.

Just my 2 cents worth.

3. arogers

arogers Approved members

First, let me start by saying I think most people love their first pump after being on shots for an extended period. We call it "pump love" at our house. That being said, my son started on the Omnipod 6 months after diagnosis at 8 years old and almost 3 years later, we still LOVE it. I am the mother of 3 boys and honestly, we never considered a pump with tubing. I knew that the sites would get ripped out and I was afraid that it end would end up in the toilet. I mean, if cell phones and GameBoys have gone in the toilet, then I know something attached to his pants would :) We have not had any issues losing the PDM. Again, with 3 boys, we lose everything and we've had no problems keeping track of it. He carries a drawstring/soccer style backpack everywhere and keeps it on the back of his chair at school. When he went to lunch, recess etc, he just took it with him. Really not even an issue. We have also not had any problems with the PDM malfuntioning. We've had a few replaced due to a cracked screen or spots on the screen but that may have been my son's fault and Insulet was happy to replace them. We've occasionally had a pod failure, but once again, Insulet was happy to replace. One thing to consider, the insertion of the cannula is VERY easy and pain free (for the most part). When we started on the Guardian CGM, we were all a little freaked out at the manual insertion. But again, if it is your first pump and don't know any differently, it may not be a big deal but it is for us.

4. sarahconnormom

sarahconnormom Approved members

My son was 4 months post-dx and 2 months shy of his 7th birthday when he started pumping. We considered the Omnipod and even did a saline trial with it. Connor is the one who decided against it. He simply did not like the pod stuck to him. He said it felt too big to him.

We ended up going with Minimed and have never regretted our decision. Connor loves his pump (and so do we). The tubing has never been an issue for us. Connor jumps on the trampoline, plays sports and wrestles with his friends and we have had only one site get yanked out in over 2 years.

I know of lots of kids and parents who love the Omnipod though. I suggest getting a dummy pod from the company and trying it out.

5. roo'smom

roo'smom Approved members

My dd is 7 and is VERY active - swimming, bouncing on the trampoline, field hockey, etc. She has worn both the pod, and a "regular" tubing type pump. For us, the pump works better (granted, we do a shot of lantus in the summer b/c she's unhooked so much - she chooses not to wear the pump swimming, although she can). The pod just didn't seem to stay on her. Even when the adhesive held, the actual pod tore away from the adhesive, and the cannula would come out. When the pod worked it was awesome, but it just didn't seem to be the right fit for us, so we're back to the pump. Get one of the demo pods and at least you'll be able to see how the adhesive and size, etc work for you all. If you are sure the pod is what you want 6 is not too young to start - I would push for it if you really want it.

6. MountainJam

MountainJam Approved members

DS is 8 and using the Omnipod. He wanted NO part of tubing and we have been very happy to this point. Everything has worked well, Insulet has been great and we have learned how to work with the pods for maximum activity. He swims, plays baseball, plays basketball, and is an all around active boy.

That being said, I would suggest trials of everything you consider, to see what works best for you. What works for us may not work for you and vice versa

7. Denise

Denise Approved members

Admittedly our endo too discouraged the Omnipod quite a bit when we were selecting our pump. She also said she has several patients have pod failures to the point where it was dangerous. She thinks the idea of it is good but feels more work needs to be done.

That being said, Molly got a dummy pod, picked it up and said..no way was she wearing that on her body. :eek: Sooo when presented with the two others (Ping and MM), she said she didn't care as long as she gets to pick the color. We agreed and picked the MM only because it already had an integrated CGM already in place. From advice given, we knew that while pump companies SAY something is "coming soon" that ...it could mean months/year(s). So we went with MM simply for that reason. In addition, when I contacted the Animas rep, they didn't really "sell" us their product. I called for info, a packet was sent and a follow up letter...no call, nothing. :rolleyes: I think it's by area b/c others say that their MM rep is aweful. We love ours. :cwds:

8. Traci

Traci Approved members

My son is 9 and has had d for seven years. He was on a regular tubed pump for a couple years before we switched to the omnipod. For us, the difference has been huge. We love the omnipod and would never go back to tubing. He's an active boy, so the tubed pump would tend to fly off of his pants and even pulled out several times. I'm not sure what kind of malfunctions your endo experienced, but we've only had one blockage which required a site change. And really, since switching to pods, site changes are quick and painless, so ds doesn't mind them at all.

I guess one of the biggest things for us is that ds does not have to disconnect for all the water activities we do. His A1c's have been great since switching and I believe that's due to not being disconnected for extended periods of time for tubing, skiing, swimming, etc.

Our endo was hesitant about the omnipod and said that they heard some problems when it was new, but now 8 out of every 10 pumps he prescribes is an omnipod, so that's a very good endorsement! You can request a sample pod for your child to wear just to see the comfort level and then compare that to a tubed infusion set and pump to see the differences. You will love which ever pump you choose. Good luck!

9. vettechmomof2

vettechmomof2 Approved members

We are very active and still love the Pod. Most people love their brand of pumps for certain reasons. The pod has worked very well for our family.

10. MadeleinesMom

MadeleinesMom Approved members

Our dd started the Omnipod January 2010, at 4yo. We love it, and would never go with anything else. Our endo discouraged us as well, but I told her it was Omnipod or nothing. Our daughter tends to figit and play with things and all I could picture her is either bending the tubes or playing with the buttons on a traditional pump. Almost 6 months later, we would never go back to shots. We did have a couple of hard weeks in the begining with her tearing the pods off, but we stuck with it and have no problem since.

11. saxmaniac

saxmaniac Approved members

You certainly CAN do it.

Alex was 5 when he started the pod. Our endo was against it, but we insisted. We asked them to let us try, and then if if it didn't work out, we could go to a tubed pump. It would be cheaper to try the pod up front, than pay $6000 for a tubed pump up front. She came around and is happy.

Honestly, they are just unfamiliar with it. All pumps have problems.

12. Jen_in_NH

Jen_in_NH Approved members

My son started with an Omnipod about 8 months ago, and we love it. The pod changes are simple, he rarely knows it's there. We like having the PDM for the remote part of it. Another consideration for us was the start up cost - our insurance only covers about $3500 per year, so at least with Omnipod, that would be covered.

Our endo wasn't really excited about it, but when we told them we had looked at everything, and had made up our minds, they signed off on it.

13. Abbysmom

Abbysmom Approved members

We tried the pod but didn't like it.

They will send you a trail in the mail. Our daughter was really bothered by the tape. However, she was 24lbs at the time and 2 years old it was not too big. She didn't like how it felt and how hard it was to get the tape off.

We went with Animas because a remote was our top most important feature.

It's your son and not youe endos decision.

I had to fight to get my daughter on a pump at all and what finally convinced my endo was when I contacted and met with all the pump reps myself. In the end I had to tell her "We are getting Abby a pump and this is what we have choosen."

14. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

I like the idea of tubeless, but Kaylee wants nothing to do with it.. I don't think she likes the idea of having something large stuck to her.. with a traditional pump its a small site on her skin, and the pump clipped to her pants or in a pouch.. tubing isn't an issue.. we've had two or three sites pulled out by accident over the last 4+ years.

We started pumping with MM, and just recently got their new pump, the Revel.. It has ever feature we want in a pump, so it fits us well. Kaylee's been using a sensor (cgms) for 2.5 years now, having it intergrated is extremely important for her. We also have the extra unit so that we can have a 'parent monitor'.. MM is the only pump that comes in two sizes.. a 523 (holds 180u of insulin) and the 723 (holds 300u of insulin).. Its the only pump that has .025 capabilities for bolus and basal --animas has .025 for basal, and .05 for bolus.. this makes a HUGE difference in dosing and although we started with the MM 4 years ago that had .05 for basal and .10 for basal, we could have really used the .025 for both.. that small amount is amazing.. Its not 'waterproof' (no pump is if it has a crack in it) but its pretty strong.. we've never had a crack in our pump.. I won't let her swim with it but she does go into the sprinkler with it, plays with the hose.. The intergrated cgms is huge for us, the online graphs and tools are another plus. The ONLY down side the MM for us is the remote isn't much to write home about, we don't use it.. its nothing fancy.. but we find we don't really need it either... of course it would come in really handy to have too.. The one other thing we don't like is the link meter that comes with it.. the meter itself lacks a lot of the 'plus' features of some of the meters, and I don't like the one touch strips.. so we use freestyle meter and just hand put in her numbers.. we've always done it this way, so its no big deal to us..

If you reallly want the omnipod then I say push for it.. but there are some big draw backs to the omnipod that should be taken into consideration (of course, this is my opinion), just as with any pump.. there are definitely pros and cons. There use to be a great chart to be able to compare the pumps but it hasn't been updated with the new Minimed information. I would recommend calling each company and having a rep come to the house so you can hold and feel the pump.. be careful though, some reps with bad mouth another pump to make theirs look better.. I would pay attention to what they say about THEIR pump and not what they have to say about the other ones so much.:cwds:

Last edited: Jul 3, 2010
  15. Barry

Barry Approved members

Our Endo (Dr. Mary Vaccarello-Cruz West Palm Beach) not only didn't Rx Omnipod but would not see the rep. Needless to say, we switched doctors as that kind of wholesale intorerance of new technology is unacceptable and an insult to her patients.

16. momof1CWDinohio

momof1CWDinohio Approved members

Thank you, everyone, for your comments so far. I will look into the Animas and the Minimed before pushing for the Omnipod. It sounds like everyone likes what they have selected for different reasons. So we will test out the others. It seems like most people go with the Animas, the Minimed or the Omnipod. Am I missing another popular one?

17. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

Pumps are definitely a personal choice.. they are all good, they all have their own 'features' and their own pro and con list. And they all do the very important job of delivering insulin.

I believe the fourth pump would be the accu-check spirit (not sure if its made by accu-check though) Its just not used as much as the other pump, MM, animas, and omnipod are the three popular ones, the ones talked about the most.. there are people here who do use the spirit.

18. kimmcannally

kimmcannally Approved members

I was leaning toward the Spirit but wasn't able to determine from my online searching if the remote it uses is as fully featured as the Ping remote.

19. Lorraine

Lorraine Approved members

Hi there. Caleb has used the OmniPod for over three years and started shortly after turning four. As others have said, it's definitely appropriate for a 6 year old.

We received similar resistance, but I pushed the issue: http://thisiscaleb.wordpress.com/2009/07/07/you-decide/

Pump choice is a personal decision and I imagine after reviewing the options, you and your son will be drawn to one more than the others. My feeling is you let your gut decide. I find it unfortunate that your son's doctor refuses to prescribe the OmniPod when there are so many who succeed with it.

Good luck!
    Lorraine