- advertisement -

Omnipod problems

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by coop, Sep 27, 2010.

1. coop

coop Approved members

Hi all, need to pick some brains please. DD started on the pod last Tue. First two days all good then went downhill fast! Went thru 5 pods in 5 days. 2 the cannula came out and 2 just didn't stay on. I have done a search and found a lot of different ideas but want to know if you use omnipod what do you use to make it stay? I used IV prep and we wrapped with vet wrap. I have mastisol but I don't think I used it right. Do you put it in the pod before you place? Help, we really want to make this work but for the moment we are back on shots. TIA

2. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

I use liquid Skin Tac, and let it air dry a little before putting the pod on. Put it on the skin, not the pod. Sometimes we have the tape coming up by the 2nd or 3rd day, so I tape it down with Hypafix. IV Prep and Skin Prep didn't work at all for us.

3. MountainJam

MountainJam Approved members

We also use Skin Tac on the site and let it air dry a bit before attaching the pod. For sports and outside activities, we use Coban wrap or an Ace bandage on arm and leg sites, mostly because DS does not like the Pod moving around when he is active. We also used Coban this summer for swimming and did not lose any Pods because of water. DS has been on the Pod since March and the few Pods that have not made 3 days were mostly from extraordinary circumstances (like he pulled one loose when he ran through a doorway and the Pod hit the frame). DS prefers back of the arm sites, but will also use his stomach and thighs when required.

4. lil'Man'sMom

lil'Man'sMom Approved members

Fortunately, we do not have the need to use anything under it. We do however make sure the entire area is washed really well with alcohol before applying.

Due to the weight of it, when he wears it on his arms we slide a sports ban over it. This helps keep it from pulling. If we don't and he is extra active the pod will rip away from the adhesive.

Sorry you have having so much trouble.

5. virgo39

virgo39 Approved members

Sorry to hear that you are having so many problems.

Were the failures all with the same sites or with different ones? We started using the bottom, then the belly, but are not able to use arm sites (DD is only 6 and her arms are too small, the pod rocks even when secured with Vetrap).

6. coop

coop Approved members

We used both the arms and the abdomen. She is very active, playing both softball and volleyball at the moment. The one on her abdomen she complained of pain and burning after 1 day and when we took it off the cannula was just laying on top of the skin. It was all very frustrating. We saw ketones for the first time since dx on Sat. Between that and BS reading HI I knew it was time to take a break until we were able to get and try some other things!

7. chbarnes

chbarnes Approved members

We use IV Prep AND Skin Tac and wear the pod on the arms and lower back.
    Some people use the thigh or "upper butt."

Chuck

8. Daniel's Mom 1993

Daniel's Mom 1993 Approved members

We use a strip of Opsite Flexifix - Then he puts Skin tac (wipe) on the tape then he places the pod on with the canula above the tape(not going through the tape - that causes occlusions and he is too lazy to cut a hole)
    Then he cuts small strips of the Opsite flexifix tape and puts them around the pod just on the pods adhesive not on the pod itself . He very rarely loses one since he started this and it has helped the skin irritation. He only uses his legs.
    When he swims or works out he wears Under Armour Baseball Sliding shorts for extra support. They have a little padding and are tight.

9. swellman

swellman Approved members

We use plain ole alcohol prep pads - wipe really well and let dry then place the pod. We have a really hard time getting the pod off after three days. Make sure the site get's no oil or lotion.

Look at the site and have her bend in all directions ... try not to lick a site that will be an obvious flex point.

We used to put Tegaderm over the entire pod but we found that this actually increased pod movement.

10. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

Do you pinch the area around the cannula before inserting? We always do, but some people don't find it necessary.