- advertisement -

Omnipod people...I'm losing my mind!

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by dqmomof3, May 30, 2011.

1. Traci

Traci Approved members

Yep. This. I give it just a quick gentle shake to rid the little window of excess insulin. Our rep showed us how to do it. I've never had a pod alarm during this part of the process.

2. chbarnes

chbarnes Approved members

Jinx. After writing the above post, We had an occlusion during a bolus. What's worse, we were on our last vial of insulin - and I can't find it....
    We pulled the insulin out of the old pod and life goes on.

3. saxmaniac

saxmaniac Approved members

Lots of good advice here, you won't run out of things to try.

I would avoid the Skintac. It caused more problems than it solved. Actually I think it gums up the cannula a bit.

We haven't had an occlusion in forever. I think once we figured out how to pinch to bring up the fat, things worked so much better. I was doing it wrong at first, I was pinching too wide and it was grabbing the muscle. Once I saw someone do it in person it made a lot more sense. It's a lot harder to pinch a flexed muscle, so you can have her do that before insertion.

One other notorious problem is the battery compartment. Some batteries are slightly longer and others are slightly shorter, and the metal they use to take up the slack is not springy enough to compensate. The batteries can momentarily lose contact and power down the PDM. If this happens during some critical times (priming) I suspect it would be easy to lose a pod if it did. So if you notice the PDM restarting at odd times, call them up and get a new PDM.

We keep the PDM right next to the priming pod, almost touching. Both sit on the counter, until it's done priming.

4. swellman

swellman Approved members

One last thing occurred to me about errors. Our last error during priming was when my nephew was visiting and he was in the room (around 6 feet or 2 meters away) with a known malfunctioning iPhone 4. At the time of the error I was very suspicious of the phone as a possible cause.

In any event, the manual has a section on "Electromagnetic Immunity" which specifies a minimum distance for devices that emit RF based on their power output. These devices could include cell phones, wireless telephones (bases and handsets), WiFi routers and even laptops when using WiFi. Some people have suggested compact florescent bulbs as an interfering source but I find that suggestion dubious.

I admit it's probably overcautious but it wouldn't hurt to make sure you are in an area that is far (10-12 feet) from any RF emitting device - of course, except the PDM.

5. chbarnes

chbarnes Approved members

Interesting. Lots of things emit radio frequency electromagnetism, as anyone who has tuned an AM radio knows.

6. vettechmomof2

vettechmomof2 Approved members

This is a good point here! When and if we use Skin Tac we ONLY use it only the edges. Never where the cannula will pierce the skin.

7. Gsmama

Gsmama Approved members

We started podding in late January and had 13 failed PODs in the first 3 weeks. They eventually replaced my whole shipment. Then we had 5/10 fail in the replaced shipment, they replaced them again. And now so far so good. We have taken all the tips given and put them to good use.

I think the biggest one for me was count 1 1,000 when putting the insulin in, it keeps me from putting it in too fast.

Good luck.

Leslie

8. swellman

swellman Approved members

Interesting. Did Insulet tell you to fill slowly? I guess we've always taken about 3 seconds to fill 100U.

Another thing ... we have always filled more than the minimum.

9. Gsmama

Gsmama Approved members

No, another mom. Not sure if it helps, but it does give me a good guide when filling.