- advertisement -

OmniPod PDM Meter Comparison

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Dan, Jul 15, 2012.

1. Dan

Dan Approved members

Here are the results from my comparisons. As I posted in another thread I have noticed that my Son's A1C has gone up over the past year. While at the FFL Conference I was given a One Touch VerioIQ. I decided to try the meter and noticed that it was testing higher than my OmniPod PDM.

The week after the conference we went to see our Endo. I observed that the Accu-Check Aviva, used by my Endo's office, tested about 50 points higher than my OmniPod PDM. I decided to do a test to see if there was a correlation with my son's higher A1Cs.

As I was half way through my test I found a few vials of the old FreeStyle test strips so I added them to the test. They are labeled "Original" in my results below.

In Addition, I received a new PDM yesterday from OmniPod and noticed that the PDM is not the issue. Using the new butterfly strips both PDMs tested within 10 points consistently.

My conclusion is that the new Butterfly strips read low when using the OmniPod PDM. I feel that the issue is not the PDM and I will not be using the PDM going forward until the new PDM is released with the new smaller Pods. I will conduct a similar test then to see if the issue has been resolved.

Thanks,
    Dan

One Touch VerioIQ--------314 (+67)
    OmniPod PDM (Butterfly)---247

One Touch VerioIQ--------236 (+48)
    OmniPod PDM (Butterfly)---188

One Touch VerioIQ--------212 (+29)
    OmniPod PDM (Butterfly)---183

One Touch VerioIQ--------234 (+33)
    OmniPod PDM (Butterfly)---201

One Touch VerioIQ--------150 (+43)
    OmniPod PDM (Butterfly)---107

One Touch VerioIQ--------233 (+40)
    OmniPod PDM (Butterfly)---193

One Touch VerioIQ--------183 (+26)
    OmniPod PDM (Butterfly)---157

One Touch VerioIQ--------203 (+23)
    OmniPod PDM (Butterfly)---180

One Touch VerioIQ--------251 (+20)
    OmniPod PDM (Butterfly)---231

OmniPod PDM (Original)----333 (+81)
    One Touch VerioIQ--------310 (+58)
    OmniPod PDM (Butterfly)---252

OmniPod PDM (Original)----130 (+43)
    One Touch VerioIQ--------113 (+26)
    OmniPod PDM (Butterfly)---87

OmniPod PDM (Original)----128 (+33)
    One Touch VerioIQ--------117 (+22)
    OmniPod PDM (Butterfly)---95

OmniPod PDM (Original)----392 (+97)
    One Touch VerioIQ--------334 (+39)
    OmniPod PDM (Butterfly)---295

OmniPod PDM (Original)----239 (+32)
    One Touch VerioIQ--------229 (+22)
    OmniPod PDM (Butterfly)---207

OmniPod PDM (Original)----175 (+24)
    One Touch VerioIQ--------
    OmniPod PDM (Butterfly)---151

OmniPod PDM (Original)----313 (+29)
    OmniPod PDM (Butterfly)---284

OmniPod PDM (Original)----160 (+26)
    OmniPod PDM (Butterfly)---134

OmniPod PDM (Original)----92 (+19)
    One Touch VerioIQ--------93 (+20)
    OmniPod PDM (Butterfly)---73

OmniPod PDM (Original)----178 (+44)
    One Touch VerioIQ--------175 (+41)
    OmniPod PDM (Butterfly)---134

2. sheeboo

sheeboo Approved members

Dan,

I agree that it isn't the PDM.

When you say "original" does that mean that there is no butterfly? Or do you mean the non-"lite" strips?

I'm using the original strips (non-"Lite") but they still have a butterfly

3. Dan

Dan Approved members

Original means non-butterfly and non-lite. These were the strips that I used to get before all this fiasco started last year. Lot 1016733 Code 14

4. swellman

swellman Approved members

I would have loved to see some control solutions in that mix. :(

5. Debdebdebby13

Debdebdebby13 Approved members

I changed the code to number 17 after some research and comparisons to our accuchek aviva and now the numbers on the PDM are much more "accurate" overall. I says accurate in quotation marks because I'm comparing one meter to another rather than to a lab test.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2012
  6. timsma

timsma Approved members

Debby, what kind of research did you do that led you to use code 17? I'm really thinking the butterfly strips may also be the reason for my sons A1C being higher the last couple visits. His endo appt. is on Wednesday and I plan to bring this up to her and see if she's heard anything as well. I wonder if we should also switch to using code 17 for better accuracy.

My son tested at 35 this morning and he said he didn't feel that low at all, but of course we still treated it. Now I wish I had another meter to compare to.

7. manda81

manda81 Approved members

We also saw quite a large difference in numbers once the new strips came out. We contacted Insulet with a few days worth of comparisons between 2 meters of theirs, and they sent us a new PDM that says "Freestyle" on the face. We haven't had issues since. They told me then that there were a few people seeing the same things (although most were not).

8. caspi

caspi Approved members

We just received a replacement PDM that has "Freestyle" on the face as well. Glad to hear this! I hope we have the same results as you! :)

9. buckmarko

buckmarko Approved members

We've only been using the Pod/PDM since May. (Used the Aviva before that for 6 months). The strips we use are Freestyle, not the Lite ones. They have a butterfly on them. Are those the strips you all are talking about as the "new" strips? The have code 16. I've read in different posts about ppl changing the codes. Are you changing the code on these strips that say 16 or the lite ones? (Or a different strip altogether?) When we first got our PDM, it constantly read 20 points lower than about 4 other meters I was testing it against. Insulet replaced the pdm. But I'm wondering if I should change the code we are using to get more accurate results? We are still so new at this, I'm hesitant on things.

10. caspi

caspi Approved members

Abbott (who makes the Freestyle strips) changed the strips over a year ago. The old strips were a rectangle - the new "butterfly" strips have a new design on the bottom and a butterfly on the strip. Here is a link to photos.... http://www.myomnipod.com/test-strip-update/

Some of us have been having issues with the new strips reading lower than the older ones. I hope this helps!! :)

11. caspi

caspi Approved members

OK, I just did my own non-scientific experiment on our PDM that we are returning (stuck key issue) and the new PDM they sent us that has the Freestyle logo on it. Unfortunately I don't have any control solution but used a sample of blood. We did 2 tests. Both times the old PDM tested 20-25 points lower than the new one.

12. Mish

Mish Approved members

I'm not even using a PDM just the butterfly LITE strips and I have been bitching about these strips for months now. Every other meter I test them against they read a LOT lower. (even though they read within range using control solution). Abbott is no help at all and claims that as long as they read within control solution standards then the strips are fine. Well, meanwhile the a1c goes up and up and bears no relation to what the meter average and what CGM data says (cgm based on using these strips). I've felt for a long time that there was a problem but now I'm almost certain as more and more of you are seeing the same weird a1c's.

I'm so done. Just waiting to get a new RX written and then we're history with Freestyle.

13. swellman

Cross posting my caution on evaluating meter.

14. caspi

caspi Approved members

"Finally, at this point, I want to reiterate that saying "my meter is 20 points lower than the other" is a generally nonsensical statement as the raw point difference is of relatively little use as a 20 point difference at 45 is a huge deal, at 100 a minor deal and at 300 of little or no consequence - in my opinion. "

You might find it an absurd statement, but I find the whole issue disturbing. Our A1C's have been different than the PDM averages for 3 times in a row. Yes, I understand that the PDM average just goes by when we test, but we test quite a lot. And twice during the night.

Had we always had such a discrepancy would be one thing. But the fact that this started when the new strips came out has me thinking there is an issue with the strips and the old PDM. I guess only time will tell..........

15. swellman

I think you either misunderstood the point I was trying to make or I wasn't clear. What I was trying to convey is that the use of raw BG points to describe the severity of an inaccuracy has little meaning without the context of the magnitude of the reading itself. I wasn't trying to belittle any difference nor was that directed at any one person - I picked 20 because I seem to remember that number used as well as 30 and others but it just stuck in my head. I will amend it to be less specific an example.

Also, I haven't said I don't think there might be issues with the strips, either.

16. Dan

Dan Approved members

Oh no...The last thing I want is for loving parents to be upset due to my post. I was just posting info that I found unusual.

I called OmniPod again and they are now sending me a new FreeStyle Flash meter to check against the new PDM they sent me. The told me that if the numbers are lower that I should carry two meters and manually enter the numbers.

They also told me that the next generation PDM will also use FreeStyle for the next year and that in 2013 a new PDM will come out using One Touch. The new PDM and smaller pods are right around the corner. This was the first time a rep ever gave me any info. I also had a rep tell me that they are out for training this week...:D

Dan

17. caspi

caspi Approved members

LOL Dan - no worries. We're not getting upset with each other. :cwds: We're just a big dysfunctional family that sometimes doesn't agree or misunderstands what another has said. It's all good! :)