- advertisement -

OmniPod PDM Battery Issue

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Kayeecee, Aug 5, 2010.

1. Kayeecee

Kayeecee Approved members

Hello, fellow Podders. We have been having problems with Spencer's PDM turning itself off in the middle of pod changes, turning itself off in the middle of BS testing, going to 'green screen' after being on, etc. I just got off the phone with Insulet and was advised that there have been others with similar problems (there had been a bulletin sent out) and to try both of the following:

1. Use Max Energizer batteries (I had been using Kirkland and Duracell). Apparently Max Energizer batteries are just slightly larger and there may be a connection problem when you take out the batteries that come with the original PDM.

2. The PDM logic prefers not to be turned on by the glucometer; rather, it is a better practice to turn the PDM on with the keys on top, then insert the test strip.

I would love to hear from anyone else who is having these problems, whether they have tried these work-arounds and whether they worked. Thanks!

2. swellman

swellman Approved members

We turn the PDM on 95% of the time with the strips with no issues.

We did, however, have one PDM fail because the batteries went dead or one of the cells failed.

I have noticed loose batteries before but I usually just stretch the spring a little. I have a hard time getting batteries out.

We use Rayovac alkaline batteries.

3. arogers

arogers Approved members

We were having the same problem, using Kirkland brand so Insulet sent us a new one. That one, upon taking it out of the box, had the same problems only much worse. It ended up dying after two weeks . Fortunately we had an old PDM that we used until another one arrived. Insulet never said anything about turning it on with the glucometer, only asked about which batteries we were using.

4. SeacoastMom

SeacoastMom Approved members

I thought we were alone on this issue. So far, we have had our PDM replaced once and been told that this was a "battery compartment issue" with the first production lot of the second generation PDM.

However, our current PDM has just started having the same issue. It doesn't matter what type of battery we use or how we try to power on the unit. At this point, I am starting to really think that there is an issue with the second generation unit. I wrote off our problems with the first one as bad luck, but now that we seem to be going down the same road, I am really starting to wonder if I want to continue using a product that I don't feel like I can rely on.

Although I am glad to know that we are not alone in this issue, I am more concerned knowing that there are others who are experiencing this problem. Here's hoping that Insulet can find a way to keep it from being an issue going forward.

5. momof2here

momof2here Approved members

We have the same problem and have just received a replacement for the pdm because of this - our unit keeps turning off and turning back on again to a green screen and restarting.

6. Melissata

Melissata Approved members

We had the problem and they replaced the PDM several months ago, without saying anything about batteries. I do recall them telling me once before that she should turn the PDM on and not just insert the strip. I wasn't sure how she was doing it, and she told me that she does turn it on first, but since then I have seen her doing it by just putting the strip in. It would be really hard to teach them not to do this when that is the way that they have been doing it for some time. In any case, we have had no further problems. I also remember that the night I had to call them, the rep said that it was a crazy night and that all of the callers had the same problem!

7. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

This is what the rep told me when I had to get the PDM replaced recently (different problem). Our "new" one is now shutting itself off randomly. I may have to call again. Your problem may not be the batteries themselves, but the contact points in the PDM.

8. saxmaniac

saxmaniac Approved members

What happens is the spring-loaded contacts that hold the battery in place are either not quite long enough, or the metal is too weak to hold the tension necessary. As they weaken, the battery loses contact with the metal, it loses power, and reboots. Sometimes spinning the battery around a bit helps, like jiggling a toilet handle would.

I've pried the contact out slightly, by using a tiny screwdriver to push the underside of it. This way they are a bit longer and touch the battery better. It's only a temporary fix, and if you're not careful, the contact will just pop out. It's not well-attached to anything in there. A better fix would involve stiffening the contacts, by jamming something back there to take the strain.

After a while, the contact just falls off. I've had to put the contacts back in by hand.

The part about the PDM "preferring" to not being turned on by the strip is bull. I can see the metal weakening and the battery falling out.

We've replaced one or two PDMs due to this issue, but the new PDM has the same issue. I think it's only a matter of time until the next one fails. Call them and get it replaced, but be prepared to do it again.

The first-generation PDM did not have this problem, or at least not as bad. At first I thought it was because I bought batteries that were slightly too large (recharageables) but any normal-sized battery will weaken the metal over time.