- advertisement -

Omnipod or Minimed?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by PamB, May 20, 2011.

1. PamB

PamB Approved members

Due to numerous problems we have experienced with the omnipod over the last year, we are considering switching over to the minimed system with thier CGMS (we previously used the navigator). We trialed the revel for about a week and my DD is already sold on the idea.

This is such a huge decision for me to make and I want to know that it will be the right tool for her to better manager her diabetes. Looking at the Medtronic site, it looks like they sell absolutely everything seperately, indicating that expenses will quickly escalate. Can anyone who has switched over provide me with the pros/cons of doing so. :confused:

2. Nevaeh

Nevaeh Approved members

Minimed, hands down. You will get everything you need for the pump when you order. It will come with a battery, two types of clips, the carelink usb to download, dvd, books, and in some cases a pouch. The only thing that omnipod has that Minimed doesnt is tubeless. minimeds features far outweight the tubeless.

3. meggiemoo

meggiemoo Banned

I don't know what you mean by everything seperately? Our pump came in one piece.

4. vettechmomof2

vettechmomof2 Approved members

you probably will not KNOW that it will be the right decision until you try it but with that said, if you are having lots of problems with the Omnipod and have tried to find out the whys to it then I think it would be worth a shotfor you to change.
    Just do not necessarily get your hopes up that it is the fix or an immiedete fix.
    What sort of problems have you been experiencing? Site problems, occlussions? Pod failures? There are many reasons as to problems and they might be specific product problems and it just might not be the right pump for your daughter.
    If your daughter is excited about using the Revel then I think it sounds like the right idea. She is the one to wear it and if she felt confident with it and your are able to financially cover the change then I would give it a go.
    Good luck.

5. PamB

PamB Approved members

We have had numerous issues; pod failures, occlusions, site issues and PDM issues. For the first year, it worked beautifully, now it seems like we are waiting for the next error to occur. I must say, however, the last batch we had shipped seems to be much better than the previous six months of pods in terms of the failures. Our dr has recommended that we consider a change as she feels it might not be the right tool for our daughter.

We have not moved to the minimed, we just borrowed one for a week to try it, so I have no idea what comes with it. I was only looking at the site to get an idea of cost and noticed that everything is sold seperately. This made me think that it had to all be purchased seperately, but I think that part is cleared up. Am I correct than in thinking that everything we need comes with the unit and we have only to purchase sensors, infusion sets and resevoirs after the inital purchase?

This all may sound quite silly, but we have never used any other kind pump; we moved to the omnipod from pen needles. Since the tube pumps are significantly more expensive than the omnipod, I want to feel confidant that I am going to see positive results from the change rather than the same things. I hope that made more sense.

6. denise3099

denise3099 Approved members

Are you paying out of pocket? For both the pump and cgm?

The revel comes with battery, books, clips, usb, some clear tape thing, alcohol type swabs I think, and some little plastic thingies, I think it's some sort of sports cap or somehting. You have to buy resevoirs, infusion sets, and a serta if you use one.

They have 2 types of cgm kits. 1 is the paradigm kit, which is 10 sensors, serta, charger, battery, tester, seashell transmitter, books, I think that's it. The receiver would be the revel pump itself.

The second, which I highly recommend!!!!! is the gardian. That comes exactly the same except that instead of 10 sensors you only get 4, but you get the gardian unit as your receiver. It looks just like the pump without a resevoir. Both the gardian and revel will pick up the signal from the transmitter at the exact same time, like 2 radios turned to the same station. So at night you can have the gardian on the night stand and not worry that you can't hear the revel under blankets. It's the best of both worlds. Then yo continue buying sensors.

But bascially, the pump and cgm are 2 separate kits. Please tell me you have insurance or you are looking at 6-7K for the pump and another $900-1200 for the cgm, as well as sets, resevoirs, and sensors, every month.

7. miss_behave

miss_behave Approved members

The MM pump itself is definitely more expensive than the OmniPod PDM. However, the infusion sets and reservoirs are much less expensive than the pods, and at the end of the 4 year warranty period, the MM pump is actually a lot cheaper.

8. 5kids4me

5kids4me Approved members

I am sorry you had problems with the pod!:(

9. EmmasMom

EmmasMom Approved members

We have both, but use the revel 99% of the time. We save the pod for swimming and water filled vacations, but we do not love it. For us, the MM software and reliability is so much better. The sites stay on so much better, they last longer, they hurt less (according to my daughter). Her numbers are better on Revel too, (except on pool days). The integrated CMGS is awesome!
    You can always hang on to your PDM and keep a few pods incase you need to go tubeless. Best of both worlds. :)

10. roo'smom

roo'smom Approved members

I agree - keep the pods and get the MM too. We use the pod in the summer when she's doing a lot of in and out of the water. It's easier to not be unhooking, testing, hooking back up, replacing basals, etc. During the rest of the year we use the MM w/ the CGM. We actually have had better #s since switching over to the pod this season, but I think that may have more to do with the fact that she's been more active with the nice weather - who knows!!

11. dqmomof3

dqmomof3 Approved members

We're just making the switch the other way, from 3 years of MM to the Pod. We are keeping our MM too, though - I suspect she will switch back and forth.

Tubed pumps are very different than the Pod. Tubing can get knotted, can come apart right where the reservoir meets the tubing (or anywhere else, of course), and it hangs out, LOL! Jayden's favorite feature of the pod is that it doesn't have tubing. Having said that, though, we have no complaints about MM except for the Quicksets. Those didn't work for us at all. Once we switched to the Sils, we rarely had issues with the sites.

What I like better about the Pod so far is that when the pod fails, it just fails. With a pump site, the site can be failing, not absorbing, bent, etc.. for a period of many hours before you finally realize what's going on and change the site. I think we're going to have better numbers on the Pod for just that reason.

MM is a great pump. We used the CGMS as well until Jayden developed an allergy/sensitivity to the sensors and we had to stop because every sensor site became infected within 48 hours. I miss that feature very much! I hope we can try the Dex soon and add CGMS back to our diabetes management.

I am still paying off our MM pump. If you have to do a cash pay, which we did due to a high deductible insurance plan, the total cost is around $6000. I pay $136.86 per month for 48 payments. I think I have 12 or 13 more to go, sigh...

Hope this helps. If you have any other questions, PM me and I'll be happy to answer!

12. Melissata

Melissata Approved members

I just wanted to let you know that at least for us, the pod is no different than a traditional pump in that it can be a bent cannula or just not a good absorption spot and you have to change it out because of high numbers that just won't come down. The cannula is harder to bend because it is stiffer, but we do have plenty of times that we change out a pod because it suddenly just seems to not be working well.

13. dqmomof3

dqmomof3 Approved members

Thanks, Mary...that's good to know. We're only on our fourth pod, so I guess we'll see what happens with us!

14. PamB

PamB Approved members

Thank you all for the advice/recommendations!

I really like the idea of using the pods for day-long water activities to keep basal pumping! I am kind of concerned about the kinking of the tube. With the omnipod experienced a lot of issues with the cannula being pulled to the surface of the skin and not delivering consistent basal rates - I am guessing that it was due to the heaviness of the pod and the fact that she is active.

I have went ahead and requested insurance approval. I am not sure it will be covered, but we will soon find out.

15. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

In 3.5 years on the pump, we've not once had anything CLOSE to a kinked tube. In fact, if you TRY to kink it, it's almost impossible to do. :)

16. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

We use both the MM Revel with cgms and the omnipod system. We just started the Omnipod a few weeks ago. We use it for 'pump' breaks and for swimming. We went away this weekend, it was our first big swimming time with the pod, it stayed on well, we did have to use some extra tape, but it was nice for her to not have to disconnect... that said, we saw lows from not disconnecting... Love MM more than the omnipod, we have the omnipod specifically for her, to give her a break, going back to injections really wasn't an option, so we chose to get the omnipod. Having the use of both systems is having the best of both worlds.

17. chbarnes

chbarnes Approved members

Some people add a single piece of one inch tap over the pod to stabilize the cannula. It is intentionally designed to be able to rock. That doesn't work for some people.