- advertisement -

Omnipod new first

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by ChocolateLover, Jan 28, 2011.

1. ChocolateLover

ChocolateLover Approved members

I thought I had lost my mind...sick kid and I hear the Omnipod occlusion high pitch noise. We had gotten a new box of pods and one was "screaming" in the box. Must have been too cold last night on the front porch.

Screaming pod is in time out in the garage.

I had checked my son and his PDM three times but I kept hearing the noise.

Yeah for Friday! :p

J

2. Kaylas mom

Kaylas mom Approved members

oh wow! That would be eerie!

3. virgo39

virgo39 Approved members

I hadn't even thought of that. I can't even imagine if all the pods in our linen closet started shrieking at once.

Maybe in the future users will be able to choose their own Omnipod death shriek, just like you can choose a ringtone -- I think I'd choose the beginning of "Wipe Out", but perhaps am dating myself.

4. Teacups

Teacups Approved members

We brought the mail in one day only to notice a loud noise coming from somewhere in the house. We searched high and low for smoke detectors, an errant battery-operated toy... couldn't figure out what it was!

Finally, ds tracked it down... it was the free trial pod that arrived in the mail. It too had a time out in the garage before we took a hammer to it! :)

5. Traci

Traci Approved members

Oh, yes, the shriek of death. The first time we had one, it was one that we had already removed and thrown in the garbage. I heard the noise for two days and could not figure out where on earth it was coming from! Finally, dh and I tracked it to the garbage can, buried under two days of trash. I thought I was developing that ringing in the ears syndrome!

6. Melissata

Melissata Approved members

If you pry the plastic front and back apart on the pod, you can take the batteries out and it will stop screaming. They told me to stick something in that little hole but it doesn't work. I don't really know why they don't just tell you to take it apart.

7. Traci

Traci Approved members

My kids get to throw it as hard as they can against the tile or wall to see who can kill it! Lol.

8. Tracy1918

Tracy1918 Approved members

Our CDE told us that you should put the alarming pod in the freezer.

Works like a charm!

9. sooz

sooz Approved members

That sound drives me insane...our kids throw it on the ground till it stops but sometimes it comes back to life and becomes the screeching zombie pod..I did take one zombie apart once to stop it but I wasn't sure which of us was going to die first, zombie or me as I wresteled with a screwdriver and worried about stabbing myself in the eye or something..good to know about the freezer!! Thanks!!

10. taximom

taximom Approved members

Yes, the freezer works great. But they will start screaming again after they thaw out :rolleyes:.

One time I recieved a shipment of 5 boxes of pods. The big box was alarming :eek:. It took me awhile to figure that out too. So I had to go through and find out which ones were alarming. It ended up being 3 of them. Insulet replaced them, but they had no clue why there were alarming without even being opened up.

11. JeremysDad

JeremysDad Approved members

You don't even need to take the batteries out. That little piezoelectric buzzer is attached to the plastic cover. If you pry it off with a screwdriver or even using your fingernails, you'll notice that 2 little springs will sometimes drop out. That feeds power to the buzzer so once the plastic cover is off, it will stop.

This hasn't happened to us yet (screech of death) but I know our turn is coming.

12. toohughey

toohughey Approved members

BWAHAHAHA..... Time out in the garage LOL

13. Pauji5

Pauji5 Approved members

i have tossed them out the window in the middle of the night before....kids thought it was funny to find it in the grass in the morning

14. lil'Man'sMom

lil'Man'sMom Approved members

We like to pound it to it's death with a hammer. Very liberating!

15. manda81

manda81 Approved members

We just got our first shipment this week, and I heard the buzzing before I even made it in the door. So I found the pod, and bounced it off the floor a couple of times.

But I could still here that ringing, thought it was just my ears after hearing that noise for so long...

Turns out there were 2 buzzing. Thought I was going crazy! :p

But, apparently bouncing them off the floor a couple times also stops the beeping. And it feels pretty good, too! *haha*

16. NomadIvy

NomadIvy Approved members

Thank you all for the laugh :D