- advertisement -

Omnipod- love it or no way?? appreciate your feedback

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by jkrjk, Jan 23, 2014.

1. mom2Hanna

mom2Hanna Approved members

Hanna has used the Omnipod for almost a year. When it works, it's awesome, when pods fail its so much worse and more frustrating then other pumps. I'm glad we got it thru cut the cord and not as the only pump her insurance would pay for, for four years. That being said, when she had to spend 3 days on her Medtronic last week, she was pretty miserable and couldn't wait to get back to her pods. I find the pdm very straight forward and easier to program then the Medtronic. I hate the pods 199 unit cartridge, vs medtronics 300.

2. DavidN

DavidN Approved members

Sometimes a snark is absolutely appropriate. Like here.

Her preface does nothing to validate the absolute ridiculousness of her final line.

Of course she does. But she doesn't have a right to say pods are wrong for all 9 year old boys when that statement is factually inaccurate.

Completely agree. But you should be giving your buddy this speech, not me.

Her opinion is not valid, not because they hate the pod. Her opinion is not valid because she says pods are not suited for 9 year old boys. Her opinion is not valid because it is factually wrong. She should have simply written, "the pod is not right for my 9-year old son". But she didn't. She wrote on a board where lots of newcomers come to perform pump due diligence that pods are not right for 9 year old boys. This is not complicated.

I could give a rats ass if she's happy with the product. I'm annoyed she told me that the product is not right for MY son, or any 9-year old boy. Her writing "I don't think" doesn't give her statement the right to hang out on this board without ridicule. As I said already, it's a ridiculous statement.

3. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Yeah, I agree with David. The Pod didn't work for my 9 year old boy either, but I know there are plenty of 9 year old boys it does work for. Therefore it would be wrong for me to make a blanket statement about it not working for 9 year old boys.

4. DavidN

DavidN Approved members

This ^^^^. Could have saved myself a lot of typing.

5. sincity2003

sincity2003 Approved members

Well, I stand by what I said. I'm not the only one with a 9 year old that the pod hasn't worked for. Also, title of this thread? Love it or no way? I told her, no way, from our experience. Again, I'm glad that it has worked for y'all. It didn't work for us. I also didn't say I hated the product. I said *I THINK* it's not made for active 9 year old boys. If someone comes here and my post is the only one they read on this thread while doing their "research", that isn't on me, that's on them. When we were looking at the OmniPod I ignored the bad posts on here and thought "that's a small sampling of the world of people pumping". Unfortunately, I should have listened to those people the most because it didn't work for us.

So go on with your snark if it makes you feel superior.

6. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Really, you're just being stubborn now. What you said was wrong, because clearly it DOES work for some (plenty) of active 9 year old boys.

Honestly, I don't know why people dig in their heels about this sort of stuff. Admit that you were unintentionally overbroad in your post and move on.

7. Dan

Dan Approved members

We have used the Older and now new smaller Pod for almost 5 years now. My son is a very active 10 year old boy who plays Travel Baseball. We practice at least 3x per week with 2-3 games per week. We have never had any issue with a pod falling off or having any issues during a game. Josh is also able to slide with no issues. We place the Pods on the top part of his bottom...slightly to the outside.

We started with the new Pods the first week they were available in the US. Since then we have only had approx. 6-8 Pods fail. We LOVE the product and would not consider a tubed pump at this time. I will say that being a techie I have considered the T-Slim.

We also live in South Florida. We spend a lot of time at the beach or pool during the summer months. We have never had any issues going 3 days with our pods. In fact we always go the extra 8 hours that the Pod allows before pods changes. Not sure about the issues with numbers being worse on day 3. We have never seen this and we use Apidra.

I have another Father who's son has played with me in the past. They had all kinds of issues with his 5 year old using the Metronics pump. He recently switched to the Pods. He called me a few weeks ago stating that it is the best thing he has ever used. So go figure....the bottom line is that this is a mater of choice.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2014
  8. caspi

caspi Approved members

IMO the bottom line is this -- if YOU are happy with the product (as we most certainly are) and feel it's right for your son (which we most certainly do), then why should her opinion bother you so much to the point that you had to break down my post sentence by sentence (leaving out, ironically enough, the one that said we were very happy with the Omnipod and my son is very active, lol). :wink: And also, she's not my "buddy" -- I honestly don't even think I've ever responded to any of her posts before this thread.

9. DavidN

DavidN Approved members

I broke down your post into bite size pieces to ensure you understood my post. Well you clearly didn't. I won't touch that stove again.

10. caspi

caspi Approved members

Wow. Really? I don't know why the hell you are so bitter and rude. It's obvious you're just looking for someone to argue with..... :(

11. DavidN

DavidN Approved members

Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in ...

Let's review the videotape.

Sincity said something that was factually wrong. Yes it was her opinion, but her opinion was factually wrong. It would be no different than me saying "I THINK insulin raises blood sugar". Yes that would be expressed as my opinion, but it would be factually wrong and someone would be right to call me on it.

So I called her on it.

Then you jump in.

I explain myself clearly to you.

Then you pretty much ignore my response and regurgitate your original post.

I'm not bitter. I may be coming off a tad rude but only cause you're being so obtuse.

I'm not looking for a fight. You're baiting me and for some stupid reason I'm falling for it.

See Hawkeyegirl's post. I think it applies to you nicely as well.

Not sure anyone's benefitting from this off-track discussion other than you blowing off steam and me explaining myself so happy to continue this with PM if you'd like, but I'm not sure how much more I can add.

12. Debdebdebby13

Debdebdebby13 Approved members

My 7 year old is using the Omnipod and we all love it and have had not a whole ton of issues. Yes, we did have some failed pods when the switchover was made, but those have decreased and it is maybe once a month or less that we deal with an alarming pod. She is VERY active, plays soccer and softball and is generally rambunctious and she's only knocked of a few pods, maybe 4 in the 18 months we've been podding. We are glad for the pods and at this point we can't imagine changing to another system.

13. Junosmom

Junosmom Approved members

It seems that I've read more than a couple of times the general idea that "we had some failed pods at the beginning but not so much anymore" (paraphrasing). We also are experiencing a failed pod here and there and just started pumping Omnipod last month. Do you think there is some user error involved with newbies? When I call, Insulet always asks "do you pinch up?" and we do. My 11 year old son is a blue belt in tae kwon do and attends classes about 3 -4 times a week. He's out in the snow right now, walks on the treadmill some. Otherwise, is a computer jockey :) We had the Dexcom rubbed off once, taken off once (dislodged cannula), and falling off once. But the pod, it has stuck pretty well (don't remember one coming off). We're very happy with it even with failures.

14. Snowflake

Snowflake Approved members

No, I don't think that. We do love the design and the tubelessness, but we've had ridiculous numbers of failed pods in 16 months of using the product, and we are constantly mulling changing pumps. The failures come in waves that last weeks at a time. We had a ton at the beginning, we had a few quiet months, and then we had a spell last winter where we had several early pod changes each week, often due to inexplicable alarm codes. We experienced another bad patch last month, but recently the system has been behaving well.

Insulet and our sales rep have hypothesized that the failures could be due to our 4-year-old daughter's lean build, or that it could be static electricity from our dry mountain air. If either of those theories are correct, those are factors that we have no control over, and I don't think you can chalk that up to user error. We have also identified one lot of pods that was just plain bad, where we got alarm codes on six pods in 7 days from the same lot number. (Insulet instructed us to ship back the boxes with those lots numbers and replaced them all.)

There are days when I marvel at what Omnipod can do, and at how comfortable DD is with the insertions and the feel of the cannula. But I've also experienced incredible frustration watching my kid's blood sugar spike to 400 because her pump failed her yet again.

15. caspi

caspi Approved members

Considering my son has been using the Omnipod for 5 years now and we had a number of "bad" pods just last year, I doubt it's new user error. :wink: I think it's just the luck of the draw - there have been bad batches of pods out there and some have experienced them and others haven't.