- advertisement -

Omnipod IOB

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Diana, Jul 17, 2012.

1. caspi

caspi Approved members

2. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

I don't normally correct before 3 hours. I don't necessarily know how much IOB there is, but I do know the insulin isn't done working yet. If my daughter wants to eat an hour or two later, she just boluses the carbs.

3. momofone

momofone Approved members

The PDM in Canada calculates both. I'm guessing the new PDM on thevway for the US will be the same? I think they had to do that in order to get approval here.

4. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Approved members

I don?t think so because I was told not all pumps on the market in Canada do this. I guess they meant accu chek - judging from this thread. I can?t see this being a health Canada requirement as it is kind of diabetes minutia

5. Dan

Dan Approved members

Interesting I was not aware of this...What color is your PDM and what is the model? Mine is the UST200.

6. Tyggirl

Tyggirl Approved members

Thanks for posting this. :)

We are in the same boat for school once my daughter starts as she'll have breakfast, morning snack, lunch all in 2hr-ish intervals and a test at 2hr pp will show her as high but there is still insulin acting.

I don't mind giving her a breakfast dose using the *trick* which will help for snack, but seems a bit complicated to explain for the nurse? I'd think then the problem would be at lunch unless we send no/low carb snacks with her? She's 5 so the expectation won't be on her to do this.

It's my only negative to the Pod really so far. It's been an adjustment for me as well coming from the Cozmo. Waiting 3-4hours between eating isn't always possible for me, let alone my active 5-yr-old to get an accurate calculation.

7. sheeboo

sheeboo Approved members

I think you're over-thinking this. If you don't normally correct two hours after eating, then why would you correct on the Pod? Instruct the nurse that when she enters BG at lunch, she should select "No" when prompted with "Use BG to calculate bolus?"

If you think that will be too much for her, you could send an extra meter to use to check at lunch and have the nurse do a straight bolus on the PDM by entering carbs only.

8. Tyggirl

Tyggirl Approved members

My problem is that my daughter doesn't usually have a morning snack. So test at breakfast and lunch are fine at home. But if a snack is offered she will eat it if everyone else is and shouldn't be left out. We are talking breakfast, 2hrs pass and then snack, 90min pass and then lunch. HOWEVER, I have a problem with her testing at breakfast and getting a correction if needed, but not being corrected again until 3-4pm because no correction was given at snack or lunch because it was too close to her last meal. Too much room for her to have extended highs. If IOB is done right then there should be the ability to give a boost if needed at some point post meal before the 3-4 hours is up.

I understand the logic on paper of only correcting if it's been 3-4hours otherwise just bolus for carbs, but if you are eating carbs consistently before those hours are up then you are never giving corrections. On the other hand if you do give corrections based on the Omnipod IOB before the 3-4hours are up then you are looking at lows later because it isn't taking into consideration you are elevated from something you ate but insulin is still on board.

We've made our schedule work at home to make it less stressful and try for more 3-4hr intervals between meals and snacks but school is a totally different (usually not flexible) schedule.

9. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

In that case, I would send "free" snacks. My daughter had a similar schedule in elementary school and I think we just didn't correct unless she were really high. But her nurse used to call me all the time, so sometimes I'd have her do half a correction or something. If I weren't in regular contact with the nurse, I'd want to have simple instructions in place.

10. Traci

Traci Approved members

Ds would have snack two hrs after breakfast, so we would correct then. Lunch was about an hour and a half after snack, so he would check, but not correct unless the number was very off. He would then check two hrs post lunch and correct if necessary.

We have never missed the meal IOB function. For us, it's not an issue at all, but I certainly understand that every child is different. Hope you can find a solution that works.

11. Diana

Diana Approved members

Yep. I understand that I could do all kinds of things to make this work -- don't snack so soon, use free snacks, correct snack but not lunch... but I don't want to think about any of that. I just want to do what we do and have the pump work how I want it to work!

I think if you have a good nurse --- then you just teach her one way to bolus. Get to the calculated amount, write down the suggested bolus, and use the "trick" (back up a few screens, say no to eating and scroll up to the number). It should not be too confusing if you have her do it this way every single time -- especially if you tell her that it will keep your daughter safer. I know our nurse would have panicked a little at first, but then been right on top of it.

12. Tyggirl

Tyggirl Approved members

Yes! I think this is what we are going to do. I've found myself having a few lows lately forgetting that the IOB isn't the same as my Cozmo. Luckily my Dexcom has caught it or I could have been in loads of trouble!

13. momofone

momofone Approved members

It is blue. I'm not sure which numbers reflect the model but it says CAT35E-LAON. His dinner though was 4.10 units, correction IOB -0.20, meal IOB 0.00.

14. lil'Man'sMom

lil'Man'sMom Approved members

We do it this way so that carbs are recorded in PDM. We usually only use it for breakfast.

1. Enter BG and carbs as usual. Note the suggested bolus
    amount AND 0.0 IT OUT, press enter or confirm to
    initiate delivery. THIS RECORDS CARBS IN PDM

2. Go into BG again, "use as bolus caluclator" YES,
    When the PDM asks "are you going to eat now" NO

3. Enter the full amount that was calculated by
    the PDM in step 1 above.

4. Press "enter", then press "confirm" to initiate delivery.

15. Tyggirl

Tyggirl Approved members

Oooh, good idea! ^^^^^^