advertisement

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Omnipod IOB

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Melissata, May 17, 2009.

1. Melissata

Melissata Approved members

Anyone care to explain how the IOB on the Omnipod is different from either Cozmo or Minimed? The rep told me that IOB is only calculated on correction doses so it seems to be more like Minimed than Cozmo? I need to look into it further, but thought that I would throw this out since I saw the question about Animas IOB posted.

2. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

The pod computes IOB only for correction boluses.

I didn't like this at first, but now realize that since I won't usually correct within 2 hours of a meal anyway, it's not really necessary to know IOB from a meal.

Put another way, if she ate a meal and bolused, then wanted to eat again an hour later, we'd just bolus for it separately, irrespective of the current BG or IOB, because even if we knew the IOB, we'd probably come to the same conclusion as to how much insulin is needed.

The pod does track IOB for corrections, so if you give a correction for a high after the mealtime insulin is done working, the pod will take that IOB into account for any subsequent corrections.

The IOB in the pod can not be set for less than 2 hours duration, unfortunately, so as we use Apidra (1 hour duration), we can't use the pod's IOB feature at all!

3. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Minimed tracks both food and corrections boluses. Cozmo, MM and Animas all track IOB a bit differently, but all track both.

4. betty6333

betty6333 Approved members

If you want food calculated as IOB, simply enter it as a correction instead of food.

It will give you the amount that is calculated to be left. I will enter the carbs, it will tell me the exact amount for those carbs, then press back, and enter that amount as a correction instead of food.
    I have been doing this for 9 months... works very well for us.

5. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

As far as I know the Omnipod does not track IOB on food, only corrections.
    Which is totally different from Cozmo, Minimed, or Animas

6. saxmaniac

saxmaniac Approved members

I keep forgetting to explore this. Does it record this carbs this way? Or do you zero it out, confirms so it goes into the log, and then do another bolus?

7. betty6333

betty6333 Approved members

It does not record the number of carbs, it will show zero carbs.

You put in the BG , say it was 130, then the pump will suggest the dose based off the BG . EVEN IF the suggested dose is 0.00 you can change that to add the amount you need for food.

When you look at the record you will see the BG entered and how much insulin you gave for that BG.

SO , if your BG is 80 and you gave 4 units as a "correction" ;) you know it was a food bolus, but there is not a carb record, just the amount you gave and the BG you entered.