- advertisement -

Omnipod....help me like it.....

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Tracy1918, Nov 8, 2010.

1. Tracy1918

Tracy1918 Approved members

So my son started a 3 day trial with animas today and he's not loving the tubing. Grrrr.... I'm hoping and praying he'll get used to it. I REALLY want him to like the Ping. It's definitely my top choice for many reasons.

BUT......I think he's going to lean toward the Omnipod and I've heard such terrible things about it here lately.....it just sounds like nothing but trouble.

Do any of you like it? How is customer service?

Help me like the pod...

Thanks in advance!

2. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

I have a friend that is getting a free trial on an Omnipod during the week of Thanksgiving.
    You might want to try that.

3. manda81

manda81 Approved members

We have been on the Pod for exactly 1 week now, 3 site changes, zero issues. We absolutely love it. I know there are bad threads about it, BUT IMO you're only going to hear the bad, when things are going well, no one's going to be upset enough to post about it. *haha*

It was my son's choice as well, and I really feel like he made the right one. We absolutely love it.

4. chbarnes

chbarnes Approved members

My son has used the Omnipod since February 2008. We have had a very good experience. We do not have frequent failures, in fact I can't remember when the last one was that didn't make it 3 days, or until he had run out of insulin. They have very good customer service. The reps are knowledgeable, but we probably haven't called for over a year.

All pumps have issues. If you wait long enough you will see a cluster of complaints here about any particular model, but any pump can make a big difference.

5. tsoccer5

tsoccer5 Approved members

We have been on the Pod now since June and LOVE IT!

yes they are having an issue with the test strips, but that was not so much them as the test strip company

My daughter loves being wireless, it has been great for TKD, soccer and every day of an active almost 8 yr old girl!!

She currently wears the pod on her arm or lower back, though we are going to try her stomach now that soccer season is over (she was worried about trapping the ball with her pod there).

The Pod is the same adhesive as the Dexicom and we do have a slight reaction to the adhesive, but she is a child with excema and really dry skin so I think we would likely have issues with most adhesives.

Do you have any specific questions? Kerry has actually convinced two of her friends to switch during this next year when their pump warrantee is up! They love hers so much!

6. denise3099

denise3099 Approved members

Generally speaking, ppl LOVE their pods. I've heard so many ppl say that once you go tubeless you never go back to tubes again. ALL pumps have their issues, and one may be better for a specific person for specific reasons, but the pod is NOT an inferior pump. We didn't pick it b/c dd was so little when she tried one on for the first time and it seemed huge. But really, people love going tubeless. All the pumps are good so don't fret if you child decides on a pod. :)

7. virgo39

virgo39 Approved members

I am one of the ones who has posted about some Omnipod issues we've experienced. We've had what I think is a high rate of pod failures -- most of these have been failures right after filling (before attaching to DD).

As frustrating as that has been, we still would not move to tubed pump. The reasons we chose Omnipod, tubeless, automatic insertion, and user-friendly PDM, all remain and, for us, have outweighed those frustrations.

8. annaluvspink

annaluvspink Approved members

We LOVE, LOVE pumping tubeless w/ Omnipod, however we have never tried any other type of pump.

Lately, my only concern is the durability of the PDM (the handheld device that controls the pods). We dropped it once, from about 3 feet up and it broke and Insulet is saying we need to purchase a new one. Hmmm..I would think that a life saving device should be more durable than that. Also, CS said that no one was on duty to authorize sending out a PDM until Monday morning, so we were out of luck until then. In my opinion, ask alot of questions about customer service before signing on.

But, we really love pumping tubeless and couldn't imagine that any other way.

9. Melissata

Melissata Approved members

No problems with failures lately at all, and always great customer service. Melissa is one that never minded the tubing on previous pumps, but I can't see her ever going back to a tubed pump now. She loves the freedom and l love not seeing the pump and tubing all of the time. She does have dry skin and issues with the adhesive, which is not the same as the Dex at all. She can wear the Dex anywhere for 2 weeks without it leaving a mark, but the Omnipod only on her arm. We use a cream barrier and take it off very slowly with adhesive remover. It sticks to her skin like it is crazy glued on! A few people have these issues and it didn't happen right away, but like the other poster said, it is really worth it for all of the reasons she listed. It is in my opinion, the easiest pump to learn also.

10. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

This absolutely bears repeating. In the 3 years I've been on this board, I've seen "clusters" of complaints regarding each of the major pump brands. I haven't read anything about Omnipod that would concern me going forward.

11. denise3099

denise3099 Approved members

Oh, you should try both yourself. you can try a set and connect it to an old cell phone with scotch tape and wear it for 3 days. You can get dummy pods from omnipod and you can each wear that. Then you can really talk about what it's like. My dd tried and hated the pod--she was so little then. But we actually both tried it. Later we each tried a tubed set. It's definitley an option.

12. MountainJam

MountainJam Approved members

We have been podding since March and I am sure DS would not have it any other way (besides not having diabetes). It is without a doubt the right choice for us based on what we need/want in a pump.

Is it perfect? Of course not, no pump is. We have had Pod failures on occasion and the test strip issue, while not Insulet's fault, is annoying. We have a close friend whose daughter has had just as many, if not more, issues with her Minimed pump (cracked pump, occlusions, etc). Insulet support has been excellent thus far.

The best advice I have heard is to try them all and make the choice based on which one fits your child's needs/wants the best.

13. vettechmomof2

vettechmomof2 Approved members

Very well said.

Our family loves the pod, you can look up past posts on the hows and why's that we like it.

14. mom2two

mom2two Approved members

I think OmniPod is a GREAT choice :D We've been using the OmniPod for 2 years and couldn't be happier, also couldn't imagine our life without it! The freedom it brings to my son is unbelievable. The customer service is amazing, the reps are amazing, the product is amazing :D I am bias as if you can't tell BUT had I started with Animas or MM I'd probably be saying the same thing. They are all great!!!

15. Mom2Kathy

Mom2Kathy Approved members

I think the Omnipod is great! We've had a few issues lately with occlusions, but I think it's due to us using the same sites and absorption became an issue. We've been using other sites and had great luck the last 2 weeks.

Customer Service is always helpful. We've only had to replace the PDM once and that was within the first month we had it.

I don't worry about wasted insulin at all - we get 5 pens for the same copay as a vial and I can fill 3 pods per pen (she uses only 13-15 units a day). So it all works well for us.

Good luck in your decision!

16. Traci

Traci Approved members

Ds has been on the pod for about a year and a half. Up until this last shipment of pods, we had ZERO complaints about this pump. He was on a tubed pump for several years before switching and going tubeless was life altering for us--no kidding! I fully believe we just had a bad batch of pods. Still love our omnipod though!!!

17. AlexsDad

AlexsDad Approved members

Don't be scared off by recent threads about Omnipod. We've had a couple more failures than usual recently and I've posted on those threads, but the bottom line is that my son has had a great experience with the pod over the past year and a half.

He plays soccer and baseball, swims, etc. all while wearing the pod and has maintained an excellent A1c during this time.

And hopefully the new, smaller pods will be released soon.

18. Jen_in_NH

Jen_in_NH Approved members

We've been using Omnipod for a little over a year now, and have no major complaints. We've had a few pods occlude, all were from the same box, and once we switched from those, we've had no problems since.

Customer service has been good, and quick. We had a problem with the PDM, and they told us we'd be getting a new one. It showed up the next morning.

I can't compare to other pumps, since this is the only one we've used.

19. Tracy1918

Tracy1918 Approved members

Thank you so much for all these responses. I love reading about your success!

I'm beginning to get excited...... :)

20. 5kids4me

5kids4me Approved members

My 9 year old son will start using the omnipod the 16th, I have worried about the recent negative experiences as well, but in the end, this is what Josh has shown the most interest in and in his words "doesn't look like an iv". I think the tubing with other pumps makes him nervous. I hope we have a positive experience and love the pod like so many others.

Good luck to you-whatever you decide to go with!:)