- advertisement -

Omnipod fill issue

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Snowflake, Mar 30, 2015.

1. Snowflake

Snowflake Approved members

I've had a weird and totally new Omnipod fill issue over the past week.

As we were instructed by our Insulet rep at pump start two years ago, after drawing up insulin, if there are any bubbles I tap the syringe to dissipate them. Well, once last week and then three (!!!) times last night, either during or after the tapping routine, the side of the syringe split open and sprayed insulin everywhere. So we've now lost about half a bottle of insulin to this phenomenon, after two years of never having had this happen a single time.

Has anyone else experienced this? I'm wondering if Insulin's new smaller syringes are less sturdy? (But we've been using the smaller ones for a few months now with no issues.)

Last night was so wonky that I had my husband watch my final successful pod fill, and he said that I do tap the syringe harder than he does, so user error might be partly at play here. However, DH also did say that he's seen some hairline cracks on syringes he's used in recent weeks also. So now we're wondering if we either just have a bad lot of syringes, or if Insulet's new syringes are just more delicate, or if I'm guilty of over-aggressive bubble policing? Last night was so absurd that I'm ready to turn over all pod changing duties to my husband!!

2. DavidN

DavidN Approved members

Weird one. Have never had this happen nor thought of it happening. I'm a light tapper though :)
    Thanks for the heads up!

3. KHS22

KHS22 Approved members

I don't care how hard you tap - a syringe shouldn't' just split open…

4. StacyMM

StacyMM Approved members

Agreed. Unless you are whacking it repeatedly on jagged concrete, it shouldn't split.

We haven't seen that. *knock on wood*

5. Snowflake

Snowflake Approved members

Thanks everyone. It's nice to get confirmation that I'm not some sort of diabetes oaf!

Deep breath, I guess I need to call Insulet to report this (not sure whether syringes are connected to lot numbers?)

I'll post back if I learn anything earth shattering, pardon the pun.

6. Cheetah-cub

Cheetah-cub Approved members

We have been using the new syringes for some time now. This hasn't happened to us yet, but that's good to know. I like to whack the syringes with our jumbo permanent markers.

7. virgo39

virgo39 Approved members

Nothing like that has happened to us and I tap on the syringe a bit sharply I guess. It's hard for me to imagine hitting it hard enough to break it unless there were some profound flaw. The new syringes seem "tighter" and less comfortable to me, but we use the for cartridges rather than vials, so I assumed that was contributing to it.

8. Melissata

Melissata Approved members

I have had it happen with both the Omnipod and the tSlim, so I try not to hit it as hard now. And aim for the bottom, or top actually, rather than in the middle of the syringe.