- advertisement -

Omnipod Falling Off - New Omnipod

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by HelloAgainJen, Jun 10, 2016.

1. HelloAgainJen

HelloAgainJen New Member

Hello!

My son is 12 years old and has only been on the Omnipod for approximately a week now. We are on his 3rd pod which we put on yesterday evening (6/8/16). He took a shower around 2 hours after putting it on and the pod immediately starting coming loose on the adhesive. The pod and catheter are still in place though. We have done everything (including gauze bandage) to hold it in place, but our efforts are slowly deteriorating. My question is, when this pod falls off, do we have to change the whole pod out as if it were a normal pod change? And if so, is there anything we can do about the remaining insulin in the current pod? Thank you.

2. StacyMM

StacyMM Approved members

You will need to deactivate that pod, then start pod change process to activate a new one.

If you haven't tried it, Skin Tac is an extra adhesive you can apply to the skin to help hold it place. We also have more luck in some areas than others - for my son, stomash sites last longer than arms, for instance. Or, Hypafix over the pod can add more holding power.

I do pull insulin from failed pods. I take the filling syringe from the next pod, insert it in the fill hole, hold the pod so that I'm drawing the insulin down into the syringe and pull s-l-o-w-l-y to draw it back out. If you don't have any luck, have your son try. In my house, I'm great at it, my husband can never get anything out and my son can get some. I have the right touch, I guess.

3. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

What do you mean by "everything"?

In my experience it is very unusual for the pod to fall off due to water. So you may want to look at your whole process, meaning where you are placing the pod on his body, is the area clean and dry, do you make sure that the adhesive is really stuck on there. Maybe don't plan a shower 2 hours after putting on the pod.

I agree with Stacy about the Skin-Tac, that is good stuff! You could also try Opsite tape, which I use to hold on her CGM and it is very good.

As to your direct question, if the pod actually falls off I don't know how you would NOT have to change the whole pod out? How would you get the catheter back in? As for the insulin, the times we have had a pod failure I just accept the loss of the insulin in the failed pod. I have never tried to withdraw it from the failed pod. But I guess it can't hurt to try!

Good Luck and let us know how things go.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2016
  4. Brhodes

Brhodes Approved members

Also, keep this pod when you change it and call omnipod. They'll send you a replacement but likely ask for you to send that one in. Also I recommend putting the pod on after the shower to ensure skin is as clean as possible. In 2 years, we've had maybe 2 pods come off early due to the adhesive and we don't use skin tac or anything else.

5. Snowflake

Snowflake Approved members

That's awesome! We lose a fair number of pods early due to pool water and sweat and extra bathing in the summer -- they don't fall off immediately but they often don't go the full 72 hours for us in summer, even with SkinTac and flex fix. I think this will vary by kid and activity level.

6. forHisglory

forHisglory Approved members

We always pull insulin out of the pod if it's been less than 24 hours and it fails. I have wondered about increased air bubbles but no problems so far. Never had one fall off, but we use Opsite Flex tape to tape down all 4 sides. Also, make sure the skin is free of oils, etc. Maybe try to apply it to dry skin AFTER a shower so the skin is squeaky clean (and use a wash cloth to clean the area vs hands or those puffs). Athletes of all types wear the POD through water, sweat, etc without issue but you could also try some vet wrap if it's on the arm for extra protection or those Griff Grip things (sp).

7. HelloAgainJen

HelloAgainJen New Member

Thank you all for your advice. We did use SkinTac so I'm not sure what happened. From what I've read (here and other places) it's not uncommon for the pods to occasionally fall off. Thanks also for the tips about pulling insulin out of the used pod. I was worried about losing it if a pod falls off.

8. Cheetah-cub

Cheetah-cub Approved members

How do you pull insulin out?? Do you just stick the needle back into that little hole, and just pull the plunger out? Is this just that easy?

We also rarely experience pods falling off, even with water sports. Once in a while, I do use Opsite to tape the edges down, just to be sure.

9. Cheetah-cub

How do you pull insulin out?? Do you just stick the needle back into that little hole, and just pull the plunger out? Is this just that easy?

We also rarely experience pods falling off, even with water sports. Once in a while, I do use Opsite to tape the edges down, just to be sure.

10. rgcainmd

rgcainmd Approved members

I take an alcohol wipe and clean the heck out of that little hole, then I use the new Pod syringe to draw out the less-than-24-hour-old insulin. I move the old Pod up, down, sideways, back and forth, and every which way to make sure I'm withdrawing every nanogram possible of that "liquid gold".

Last edited: Jun 12, 2016
  11. Cheetah-cub

Hum...somehow I never knew you could just pull insulin out the same way. That's good to know!

12. forHisglory

forHisglory Approved members

Yes, same method here. I won't pull it out if he was outside a lot on a hot day, etc. I never thought about using an alcohol swab on the hole but that couldn't hurt. It's on such a short time if we reuse and the skin itself is swabbed like heck before we apply. We use 100 units per fill and we pretty much get out all but a smidgen of what is remaining. Just stick the new syringe into the hole we injected it into and pull straight out! I would not use that same syringe to pull out of a vial though if you remove insulin from the pod but the reverse (pull some from vial then unused from pod) should work fine and not risk recontamination.

13. andiej

andiej Approved members

For future reference it does take 2 - 4 hours for the adhesive to set, it's best to not get it wet during this time. We've been podding for 2 years now and only ever lost 1 to water and that was jumping into the pool straight after a pod change. Once it's set it set's like rock for us and will put up with anything. We don't use anything for extra sticking by keeping to this rule.

14. caspi

caspi Approved members

This. When my son was on the Omnipod he would shower before a pod change. He still does the same now with his tSlim.