- advertisement -

OmniPod Extended Bolus

Discussion in 'Insulin Pumps' started by MadeleinesMom, Jun 22, 2010.

1. MadeleinesMom

MadeleinesMom Approved members

Hi Friends! I am cooking with gas today...this is my second post! Anyways, Maddie likes to eat these chocolate chip muffins that are only 22gm carbs for breakfast, but her numbers go through the roof with them! I was wondering if anyone has had experience using the extended bolus on the OmniPod system? I tried using it today, but I dont think I did it right because her numbers at lunch were at 280! Thanks so much!

Maddie's Mom
    Maddie 4yo-dx 10-15-08
    Roger 6yo Non-D

2. swellman

swellman Approved members

We use it all the time but we use it for meals that we think is going to absorb later rather than sooner - pasta, pizza, etc.

Personally, I don't think it can be useful for reducing a sharp spike for high GI foods, in fact, it would make them worse in my opinion.

As an example, if you chose to do a 50% now and 50% for 1 hour using 2U as the recommended bolus what you would see would be:

1U Immediately
    0.25U 15m later
    0.25U 15m later
    0.25U 15m later
    0.25U 15m later

As you can see it "extends" the bolus over the time period you choose. One thing to remember is that the insulin activity is pushed out as well. This is exactly the same as increasing your temp basal by 1U/hr for 1hr.

3. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

How long before she eats are you giving the insulin? If Jack is in range, we prebolus breakfast 20 minutes. If he's above range, we prebolus 30 minutes.

4. MadeleinesMom

I have never prebolused before....what a great idea! Do you do that for all his meals or just breakfast?

5. MrsRobinson

MrsRobinson New Member

Hey There

My 4 yr old is on "the pod". We have experimented over the last couple of years. There is no set formula. I look at the am't of fat in the muffin and depending on how much fat your daughter will eat in the sitting, I extend the amount of time the majority of the insulin should be released.

For instance, through trial and error, I have discovered that a 4 piece chix nugget kids meal with light lemonade and plain apples. I extend the entire bolus by 1 hour and then when I check Eric at the 2.5 mark from when the insulin is released and his numbers are within range.

hope this helps, I think the big thing is trial and error

Maria
    mom of Eric 4.5 yr old dx at 15 months

6. tsoccer5

tsoccer5 Approved members

does she have something else with the muffins? maybe add some protein (ham, bacon, sausage, & cheese or eggs?)

7. MadeleinesMom

No usually she just eats the muffin. Will some protien help even if it is also high in fat such as bacon or ham?

8. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Yes, it will help, but the key really is prebolusing. Even a 10 minute prebolus will make a huge, huge difference. Food starts acting to raise BG almost right after you eat it, but Humalog/Novalog doesn't start acting at all for 30 minutes after you dose. If you give the food a 10-15 minute head start before you dose, you're looking at 45 minutes before the insulin even begins to touch the BG levels.

We predose for all meals, but only breakfast gets as long of a predose.

9. MadeleinesMom

Thank you so much! I think I will try the prebolus!