- advertisement -

Omnipod and site locations?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by William, Feb 2, 2014.

1. William

William Approved members

We've been using the omnipod system for about 5 months now. We've persevered through three bad pdms to start and the random pods going bad but lately we've been having trouble with the pod getting knocked loose when on our son's upper rear, I think mostly from getting caught while on the potty and what not.

Anyway I wanted to ask where other parents have had success with pod locations (I did a search but did not find anything specific). Currently we use the thighs and upper buttocks. The thighs have been good in terms of absorption and staying but we need another location for rotation purposes. Our son is small for his age so his arms are likely too small(?). Our cde mentioned possibly the stomach area but we are concerned about pain/absorption there. I've also heard just above the hip (love handle area) but again there is not much fat there.

I would love to hear what has worked for others. Thanks.

2. jmg707

jmg707 Approved members

We have used the tummy area with good success so far. My daughter is fairly slim as well but there seems to be enough area to use. Also, it doesn't really interfere with clothing or seem to get knocked into. I would go ahead and keep trying different areas. Everyone is different and you may find he has a particular spot that he likes better than others as well. Good luck!

3. virgo39

virgo39 Approved members

How old is your son? DD started pumping with Omnipod at age 5, almost 6. We rotated belly and upper bottom. After about a year, she was able to use her arms (initially, the larger pods were too big for her arms, they rocked, etc.).

Now we rotate among left and right for those sites.

4. ksartain

ksartain Approved members

We use tops of legs, upper tush, and arms. Belly is dedicated to Dexcom and we're having issues with that location. We keep getting the three question marks for hours at a time. I know after 3 hours, it's considered a failed sensor, but we just put a new one on two days ago because of that issue.

5. swellman

swellman Approved members

Our most successful locations have been abdomen towards navel and lower back outwards. We used to use the back of the upper arms but have had way, way better results in these two locations.

6. William

William Approved members

Thanks all for your replies. We started having trouble with the pod he had on yesterday after I posted the question here so we changed it before being able to read your advice. We were going to do the stomach area but chickened out as it seemed he has a little more fat on his upper hip/back above the waistline. (sorry, I meant to say he is 4 years old). So far the absorption on the bakc hip seems less so than his leg/bottom areas as he went much higher this morning but I was able to correct before leaving his preschool. He is home for lunch now so we will see how that goes.

It sounds as if the stomach area is probably our best bet for a new site. We'll try it next. Swellman, we were told to stay two fingers away from the navel. Is that what you do for placement?

Ksartain, we are new to the pod but our son has used the Dexcom since he was 16 months of age. We used the bottom area for the Dexcom initially but after we starting pumping (Animas) we moved to the back of teh upper arms. The Dexcom rep suggested it and several parents here do so as well. The results are usually very accurate and we mostly get two weeks without ???. If we do get them, it is usually on day 12-13. Our endo office has told us to use the stomach as it is not tested on the arms but we just say we are sticking to the arms as they work well there for us.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2014
  7. DavidN

DavidN Approved members

We do belly and back of arms. And yes we were also told two fingers away from navel. His belly was getting too much traffic so doctor suggested we try other locations. We tried upper bottom but not enough fat and it hurt. He resisted the lovehandle area but let me give it a whirl and it is working out well, which is great because it opens up a lot of real estate. I would have never though the lovehandle area would work because he is thin, but luckily there's enough fat there to keep it painless. He won't let me touch his legs.

8. William

William Approved members

Yea, our son was resistant to using the lovehandle area too. His numbers appear better so far after lunch. Hopefully it works out as it is great to have more space available.