- advertisement -

Omnipod and other advances available when?

Discussion in 'UK' started by andynew, Aug 31, 2010.

1. andynew

andynew Approved members

I sent this query to JDRF following an article that appeared in a recent issue of their magazine, "Type 1 discovery", issue 52, on page 5. They asked me to post it on this forum to see if anyone else can answer it.

There is an article that mentions the Omnipod (wireless pump) which was launched last year in the US is now available in the UK. I just want clarification on if I was looking to get this device for my daughter in the future how would I go about it? I mentioned it to our advisor's at the local children's hospital and they hadn't heard of such a device which leads to me think is such a device available on the NHS or would we need to pay for this privately? I am also sending the same query to Omnipod to get an answer from them but if anyone can answer this query on here that would be great. Obviously I want to have the very latest technology out there for my daughter.

2. emm142

emm142 Approved members

In June of this year I was told by my diabetes nurse that the Omnipod was being released in the UK. It's possible to get NHS funding for tubed pumps (I've been on the Minimed 522 for 2 years now - totally covered by NHS), and I'd imagine that it's also possible to be funded for the Omnipod. However, the Omnipod is more expensive over time, although the upfront cost is lower, so you might need to prove some kind of medical necessity for a tubeless pump over one with tubing.

You say you would like the latest technology out there for your daughter; I would recommend that you looked at the information on some of the tubed pumps. The Omnipod isn't necessarily better just because it's only just being released.. it's been available in the US for several years.

3. Alba37

Alba37 Approved members

Hi Andy

Welcome to CWD. The OmniPod will be available this year and should be available on the NHS in some areas in the near future. OmniPod are good at replying to queries so hopefully they will get back to you soon.

I think you need to consider what your daughter needs in a pump, tubeless is not necessarily best. My 17 year old would probably lose the handset so being attached I think is best for him! I think there will be lots of new pumps in the near future, tubeless, nano, patch etc and if we wait for something better that's just round the corner, we would be waiting forever as there are many pumps in the pipeline. In my experience I have no doubt a pump is better than MDI and apart from small differences all the pumps available do a similar job in delivering insulin. Give the pump manufacturers a call, they will all be happy to tell you more about their pumps.

When it comes to upgrading in 4 years time, I am sure (hope!) there will be several different pumps available then.

Aileen

4. LindseyM

LindseyM New Member

My daughter is 13 and we have been using omnipod for over a year now. We are in the US, but coming back to the UK (Middlesbrough) next June. I was told by the company who are launching the omnipod (ypsomed?) that it would be late in the summer in the UK of this year and that they would send me an e-mail, but haven't heard anything as yet.
    We got funding here in the US for the omnipod. When compared next to the minimed and other tubed pumps, the omnipod cost is not higher. The initial cost for the PDM (the remote) is alot cheaper then traditional pumps. The monthly outlay is about the same actually, as you don't have anything but the pods. The pods cost $350 here if you pay yourself - if you can work that out in pounds.
    We love the omnipod, but it has been a pain at times. Pods do fail now and again, get blood in the cannula, etc, but the advantages for us outweigh the disadvantages. We have spent the entire summer at the waterpark, no disconnecting, and it stays on no problem for the 3 days, with putting some skintac on first also.
    :)

5. LindseyM

LindseyM New Member

Forgot to mention. The PDM hasn't been an issue loosing it etc for my 13 year old. She has a small backpack with all supplies to carry around and keeps it in here or on the table at home.

6. andynew

andynew Approved members

Thanks everyone. The reason I mentioned the omnipod was because it was wireless and we could control it for our 4 year old daughter. The other query was when will the latest technology be available in the UK and from your responses it would seem that some NHS areas of the country are better at communicating the latest technology available than others, which ties into this article I read recently,

http://www.jdrf.org.uk/news.asp?ite...ode+lottery&section=000100010002&year=&month=

I would hope that when the Artifical Pancreas or other advances are made available, then anyone could have one..regardless of whether or not their glucose levels were becoming un-manageable.

7. suz

suz Approved members

Andy,
    We have the Animas Ping for our son. It does have tubing, but also has a remote, soit can be operated from the pump, or the remote. We leave the remote at home when he goes to school and the nurse just uses the pump to dose him. It's also totally waterproof, he wears it swimming and in the bath with no problems at all.

Not sure if this is avail on the NHS or not. I am in the US (but a born and bred Wiltshire gal now living in Texas!).

The Omnipod is pretty large. If your daughter is little this may be a concern for you. Just something to think about :)