- advertisement -

Omnipod - 2 year old

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by ecarlson, Oct 8, 2013.

1. ecarlson

ecarlson New Member

Hi - I'm new here and was wondering if anyone would be willing to share their experience using the Omnipod with their two year old. My son was diagnosed 2 months ago - we are just about to pull the trigger on the Omnipod, but I keep hearing horror stories that make me hesitant. It's not our Endo's first choice, but she is very willing to try it out. Just worried about getting it and then regretting in a couple of months. Thanks!

2. Dan

Dan Approved members

Our experience with the OmniPod has been fantastic. We have had it for 5 years. We are loving the smaller pods.

3. natallia

natallia Approved members

My little boy is 2. Dx-ed at 9 m.o and "omnipodding" since 17 m.o. In my opinion its a great system especially for wee ones. No tubing, no manual priming. You can't see the needle, which would be a great deal for him. We just fill the pod, slap the pod on (thighs, bum or upper arms work really well for us) and tape it across with some Hypafix and I let him press "Start". Its really easy. We never had a pod fall off, even after soaking the entire day in Ontario lake this summer.
    Omnipod DOES have downsides though at least with us:
    There would be at least 1 pod failure each box. But if you call it in they will replace it with no questions asked. Great customer service.

Unexplained high bgs several hrs after the pod change. Its a mystery. And bolusing extra thru the pod doesn't do much. Its like the delivery of insulin just freezes for a little while. So as soon as I see a trending up on his cgm, I just give him a 0.5U via syringe.

Unexplained high bgs after 2.5 days. By the clock. So we do a pod change every 2 days now instead of 3. Works great. We do use Apidra though (and lovin it!) and in the insert from Apidra bottle it actually says: if used in the pump, change at least every 48 hours. So its not really designed for longer then that. It has something to do with the preservatives they use in Apidra.

The bottom line is we love it and would not switch to tubed pump. We are switching to new smaller pods in 2 weeks.
    Hope this helps! :)

4. Wren

Wren Approved members

My 10 yo switched from MDI to pods about 2 months ago. We've had a lot of issues - 9 pods replaced, and yesterday a PDM that needed to be reset at school. We almost returned it at 45 days. I'm glad we kept it. It has been a hassle, but it's getting better, Omnipod customer service reps are great, and the reasons we wanted it still outweigh the hassles.

5. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Honestly, my biggest hesitation for a little one on the Pod would be the basal/bolus increments. I'm sure you could make it work, but all of the other pumps have smaller available increments. I think MM, t:slim and Animas allow 0.025 basal rates, and MM and t:slim have 0.025 bolus increments. The smallest increment for either on the Pod is 0.05. For my son, at age 9, it really wouldn't matter. For a 2 year old, it could matter quite a bit. Just something to think about.

6. AmyJoeBut

AmyJoeBut Approved members

We're thinking about a pump now with my 7 year old. The issue that we are having is that he wants a t-slim or omnipod and the pump educator told us we can't have those because of the higher basal/bolus increments. (Right now, he is still honeymooning and taking no long acting insulin-- but I hate to pick a pump for right now and then regret it over the next 4 years when he does start Lantis/Levimir.)

Do you guys who have younger kids have that issue.

ecarlson-- I would think that a 2 year old would have the same issue?

Amy

7. Jen_in_NH

Jen_in_NH Approved members

It might for some, but it wasn't an issue for us. We started with Omnipod when my son was 2, and have not had issues with needing dosing smaller than it provides. We also have never used another pump, so it might be that we learned with what was available to us.

We loved it for him. Being tubeless was important, and has worked well for us. We have never had issues with finding a place to put it on him, and have really liked the newer small pods.

8. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

The t:slim has the smallest basal/bolus increments on the market.

9. missmakaliasmomma

missmakaliasmomma Approved members

We don't use OP but eventually I'd like to try it once they get these issues with the new pods sorted out. I think it would make things easier with pumping, especially since air bubbles was one of our big problems with the ping.

I've only heard the issues with OP, never experienced them honestly, but its definitely making me wait. I wouldn't do it now.

Also, a lot of people choose insurance to cover a tubed pump since it's a lot more expensive, then do the cut the cord program for omnipod and pay $199 out of pocket. We have a tubed pump (we're on Mdi right now though) and I plan on doing cut the cord when 1. they have it available but also when they correct the issues they're having with pod failures.