- advertisement -

Omni pod Made in China

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Legend0710, Feb 15, 2010.

1. Legend0710

Legend0710 Approved members

We have a 16 year old son DD @ 10 Sept. 22, 2004. I have come here many times without registering. Talking with other parents that helped us when our son was first diagnosed.

Now we have been pumping for 4.5 years. We are currently on a Mini Med pump and have just found the Omni pod from Calab's Moms u-tube videos. Thank you by the way! We have ordered the kit and have now met with a representative. We love the idea of this, our only concern at this point is the pod is made in China. With all the problems with china products, As recently as this valentines day,is this really what we want to do. Does anyone else feel this way?:( My husband hates it and wants nothing do do with it, only because it comes from China. But we have always tried to do whatever makes life with D easier for our son. This was a real let down and want to know what others feel about this.

Has there ever been recalls on the pod? We would like to know the pro's and con's from others who actually use the Omni pod.

Our son is in that stage to old to want mom to do everything or harp on him about it, but to young to have the dedication to do it all him self.

2. Brynn

Brynn Approved members

I honestly think that your son is old enough know that its his body and if he want the pod its going to be what is best for him. After all, he is going to be wearing it for 24/7. If he isn't comfortable with what is attached to him, it makes d just that much more difficult, believe me I know.
    I don't know about any recalls with Omnipod because I do not use it, but from what I have read on this forum people seem pretty happy with the product.

3. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

I can tell you from almost 3 years of experience, the pod is very reliable. We can count fewer than 10 failed pods out of 300+. When they failed it is usally as a result of a failed self-check during priming. Sometimes static electricity will kill a pod (last time that happened to us was 2 years ago), but that has nothing to do with it being made in China.

4. swellman

swellman Approved members

I have no reservations about where the pod is made. I admit I am surprised to hear this but our experience is that there is much less than a 10% failure rate. Most of our failures have been at priming - these are replaced no questions asked. A few have been occlusions - that happens. Once, just in the last week, we had a static failure. I "heard" that they traced one of the major failures to "drop shock" and have taken steps to reduce that. In the last year the number has reduced to less than 5%. We have never had a failure while wearing that we thought was due to manufacturing defects nor have we ever felt at risk using the pod. Personally, I feel the "China fear" is misplaced.

They used to be hand assembled in the US one at a time - that scared me.

5. Legend0710

We do agree that what he is comfortable with should be his choice. He is the one who has to wear it. Thats why we don't force him to wear his brand new cgm because he hates it. But thats another issue. We are just concerned for his safty. Like we said before we do whatever we can to make his life easier with this disease.

6. wilf

wilf Approved members

I wouldn't knowingly buy anything from China that the safety of my children depended on..

I'm just indicating my personal opinion based on a variety of personal moral concerns about China as country, as well as their track record in quality control on items such as infant formula, milk, candies, etc. (which were laced with melamine) and a huge variety of childrens' toys painted with lead-based paints..

Last edited: Feb 16, 2010
  7. vettechmomof2

vettechmomof2 Approved members

very similar thoughts here.

8. swellman

swellman Approved members

LOL ... no implied insult there. That pretty much puts us Omnipod users in the "stupid category" or did I read too much into that?

9. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

I can attest from having worked many years in the electronics industry, many electronic and mechanical parts inside any medical device are made in China. Sometimes the final assembly is done in China, sometimes not, but almost always the electronic components and subassemblies are built in China or other offshore factories in Singapore, Malaysia, Mexico, etc.

Quality has nothing to do with what country an electronic product is built in, it depends only on the quality of the company that imposes the quality standards. China has some of the best factories in the world but gets a bad rap because of so many low-quality American companies that sub their mfg offshore and impose no quality standards.

One example of how impeccable quality can be achieved while manufacturing in China is the Omnipod, as those of us who use the product know. I suspect that the vast majority of other pumps are made offshore, or made with parts and subassemblies made offshore. There is no getting around it in today's world. Reading these forums, the main quality issues are with the Abbot Navigator, various pump company's infusion sets other than Omnipod, and I think even the Dexcom had a rash of quality issues last year. Where are those products made?

10. buggle

buggle Approved members

I can understand concern about products coming from China. But everything depends on the quality control of the company who outsources the products. The pods are assembled in China and I'd guess the components come from all over the place -- the batteries are made in Germany.

The pods seem high quality to me. We've taken dozens of them apart and they're well designed and made. I don't know where sets and tubing are made for other pumps, but many, many companies are using Chinese manufacturing. You have to judge a product on its quality.

11. buggle

buggle Approved members

:D

Darryl, I'll agree that Navigator is made like crap, but we've had a really great run with it. We are usually within within a couple of points from BGs and we get 15 days out of a sensor. We had a few problems at the beginning with a couple sensors bending at insertion, but we worked a way around that and have had almost zero problems since. It's been completely reliable, has a ridiculous range and has a loud enough alarm to wake me in the deepest sleep. Amazing, considering they made it like total garbage, but we are very careful and gentle with the thing.

Also -- the pod is disposable and only has to last for 3 days. The quality is incredible for that tolerance. We crack it open, take out the nearly fully charged batteries and toss it. You always have a fresh pumping mechanism. We love it. And with a kid who uses very little insulin at times, I love being able to give insulin in 0.05 increments. Can't do that with MDI.

12. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

13. sooz

sooz Approved members

14. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Actually, it seems that Omnipod's quality has increased since they moved their manufacturing to China. I don't read about near as many issues with them as I did when I first joined the board.

I bet all of the pumps and CGMs have parts that were manufactured in China. Most of the meters too. (Although I believe the Aviva is made in North America somewhere.)

15. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

I actually heard about the manufacturing being in China before we started on the pod. I don't know what kind of opportunity they'd have to slip lead paint into them, but I could be naive. I'm more surprised to find things that aren't made in China.

16. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

Maybe Animas as well?

17. Legend0710

Acutally the infusion sets we use are manufactured in Denmark and the reservoirs are manufactured in Jucos, Puerto rico USA. These are the parts we are most concerned with these lead into our sons body. This is where the chemicals if any could get into our son. Which is why we would be worried with the pod. The pod hasn't been on the market long enough to see if there has been any long term effect. But do the benifits out weigh the risks.

18. bbirdnuts@aol.com

bbirdnuts@aol.com Approved members

The two men that started Insulet Corporation started the company because both of their daughters are type 1 diabetics and they wanted to make life for their daughters as easy as possible. These two men met while their daughters were hospitalized at diagnosis in the same hospital.

They started the business in 2000 and spent the first 2 years doing reasearch and this his how the Pod became to be. The choice is yours, but I sure do respect that fact of how this company came into existance. They are still not making a profit to my understanding.

We have only been using the Pod for a short while. My daughter said last week, "I'm loving every minute of this Pod." That statement sure does make a parent feel good.

19. saxmaniac

saxmaniac Approved members

Doesn't worry me in the least. The pods have improved in reliability over time, and they were pretty good to start with.

This isn't like Walmart buying 5 billion Bratz dolls, mandating cost cuts above all else so they can make 5 billion cents profit, and then distributing them from 3,000 retail locations. Insulet has a few thousand customers, it's safety-critical, and they supply the pod themselves. That full price that you or your insurance pays for the pod goes to the QC as well as R&D.

20. badshoe

badshoe Approved members

The Podd people have been very transparent in their move of production in financial breifings. It is interesting reading if you have no actual life or decernable interests which is to say I read'm all. (Joke it was a joke)

Here is a link to one such report, dealing with manufacturing, I summarized at YDMV.net
    http://www.ydmv.net/2008/11/from-news-wire-pod-people-earnings-call.html

In a YDMV world I don't expect what I am comfortable with to be the same as what other people with diabetes are comfortable with and via versa. I think the Podd is a great product. It isn't right for us 'cause the kids think it is too big. (I think we would loose the controllers in minutes if not seconds.) I appreciate choices.