- advertisement -

Omni Pod for 6 year old

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Danee Girl, Dec 5, 2014.

1. Danee Girl

Danee Girl New Member

Hi. My daughter is currently using Humalog and Lantus but we are considering switching to a pump, specifically the Omni Pod. We really love the tubeless idea and she wore the demo well.

However, our endo is not as on board as we are and says that controlling her basal insulin with the Omni Pod is really difficult because of the 0.050 instead of .025 that other pumps have. She says that as they get older it gets easier and recommends we wait to use Omni Pod until our daughter is 9 or 10.

For those of you using Omni Pod on a 5 or 6 year old what is your experience with the basal rates for the Omni Pod? Have you had a hard time adjusting it?

Thanks in advance.

2. Northwoodsmama

Northwoodsmama Approved members

Hi!
    My daughter was dx at 5 and started using the Omnipod at 6. She's 7 now. We love it! She does gymnastics several hours a week and I couldn't imagine using a different pump. We also started a Dexcom CGM around the same time, and I can honestly say that those 2 things make her life as close to a non-diabetic life as possible. Our endo also discouraged it for the same reason, and that has never been an issue for us. I held my ground and am glad I did. Feel free to message me if you have any questions.

3. LauraC

LauraC Approved members

My daughter started using the Omnipod in October. She is only 3 years old, but I don't think age matters in whether or not it will work for you. Your daughter's current insulin doses would be more of a factor. The lowest basal rate on the Omnipod is .05 units/hour. So if your daughter is taking more than 2 units of lantus right now, it should be ok. For what it's worth, we love the Omnipod. We put a new pod on every 3 days and my daughter mostly forgets about it. It sure beats 6 or 7 shots a day. It was a big transition but very well worth it.

4. swellman

swellman Approved members

We've been using the pod for years. Personally, I think your endo is behind the times. I may make a difference if your still in the honeymoon stage and need very little basal insulin but you can control a lot of that with basal programs and temp basals. Not knowing the specifics though makes it difficult to make an educated recommendation.

5. virgo39

virgo39 Approved members

My DD started using the Omnipod just before her sixth birthday. Her basal rates were not a problem (IIRC, she had been getting only 3 or 4 units of Lantus at the start) but I suppose it could be an issue for others.

6. Snowflake

Snowflake Approved members

My almost 5 yr old daughter started on the Omnipod at age 2 1/2. Her endo raised the same concern at the time, but also didn't think it was a huge deal because she'd barely honeymooned and had sufficient basal needs. I don't recall that we ever had an issue where we felt we needed to go lower than .05.

7. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Eh, you'll be able to give her MUCH smaller increments on the Pod that you have been on shots. We started my son on the Medtronic pump at age 4, and at that time its smallest increments for basal were 0.05, and it was just fine.