- advertisement -

OMG SOOOO Mad!

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by KylorsMom, Sep 5, 2013.

1. KylorsMom

KylorsMom Approved members

We are fairly new to pumping so this came as a bit of a shock...
    I ordered more pump supplies last friday. Usually they are really quick getting here, but I was giving them the benefit of the doubt due to the holiday. So today I called and they told me my insurance will not allow them to send it out until the 8th!!!!!!!!! That I can only have 10 per month!!! (with a three year old that will never work) She says that I can pay out of pocket but I have to sign a waiver.... I say fine, because my son is now on his LAST site... and she says she will be sending me an e-mail.... that was FOUR hours ago, and another day they will not make it in the mail. AAARRRGGG!!! WHY in the world would they only approve the bare minimum? And for petes sake why would they have not let me know???
    ARGH! Now we are going to have to go back to MDI (he HATES MDI) until we get the sites back

2. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

When you got your first shipment it didn't indicate when you would be eligible for more? Usually they are pretty clear about that - sending quarterly supplies every 3 months.

If you feel you need more infusion sets, it needs to come from the endo.

Sorry you found yourself in such a bind. Hope they get there soon.

3. Mish

Mish Approved members

Your physician needs to write the prescription for site changes for every 2 days (or even 1 per day). The doctor probably only wrote every 3 days, which is standard for older kids and adults. A quick call to the doctor should have you all straighten up quickly. It's a normal process that they must do a prior authorization to get more t han insurance typically provides. :)

4. KylorsMom

we order monthly and did not read anything about the limits.
    I am on the phone waiting for the endo now. Thanks for the tip
    Finally got an e-mail to sign a waiver so we can pay out of pocket... and it was missing the attachment! :mad:

5. momof2marchboys

momof2marchboys Approved members

our pump trainer was able to get us a few samples of sets to use once when were in a pinch due to sites not sticking or being pulled out when we first got started.

6. KylorsMom

I think I am going to be able to get a sample from the endo, too bad they are two hours away :( Guess I am going on a raod trip in the morning, just praying nothing happens to the site he has in between now and then... he is not getting a shower tonight lol

7. Melissata

Melissata Approved members

My insurance company will only let Insulet send out pods every 86 days, 3 boxes. For some reason Blue Cross of Michigan is horrible about this, and I am not willing to try to jump through their hoops in order to get them to approve more. For us, it would mean an appeal process, not just the endo's script. It wasn't a problem until we let our supply from previous insurance dwindle down. I had to pay almost $300 out of pocket yesterday for them, but at least I know they have been shipped and will be here today.

8. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

It definitely sounds like Endo wrote the script for 3 days, so 3 days per site x 10 sites equals 30 days, equals 1 month. That's why you couldn't get any more. If you are changing the sites more frequently, then you definitely need your Endo to rewrite the script. Our wrote it for 2 days when she was 2 years old, and we have just always left it that way. I had built up such a backlog that I actually called the pump supply company and turned off the auto ship until I can catch up on some of the backlog.

9. CAGrandma

CAGrandma Approved members

Did you say what you needed? We've built up quite a backlog and might be able to share until you get this all straightened out. Our boy is using the Metronic pump, Mio sites.

10. KylorsMom

CA Grandma,
    That is really sweet. I have a friend who had a few extra inset 30's so we will be able to get through the weekend. The endo had some manual inserters, so if I have to I can run up there.

We are changing the script, and I am just going to buy a supply of extras. We are pretty new to this so some of it was operator error, but he is also a wiggly three year old and it's summer (or was) and so there have been lots of trips to the water..

Do we have a sticky about getting ready to pump? I think we should add asking your endo to bump up the script, at least at first.

:)