- advertisement -

OMG--Please tell me we are doing the right thing

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by aidensmom, Sep 12, 2008.

1. aidensmom

aidensmom Approved members

OK, so it's official -- my hubby is going to start working part time to help care for DS. I'm happy, scared, and excited all at the same time. We've talked and talked about it, but now that it is actually going to happen I'm freaking out a little. We've had a hard time finding care and feel that he does best when he's with us. DS is currently staying with 3 different caregivers over the course of 4 days, which we don't think is good for his d or him. I keep reminding myself and DH that this will only be for a few years (we have 3 years until he'll be in school). We'll have to give some things up and make some lifestyle changes, but I think we'll be ok. I keep telling myself that it's about Aiden and his health and that is what is important -- right?! Our friends and family will probably think we are crazy! :cwds:

2. betty6333

betty6333 Approved members

yup, it sounds like you have thought it out and are trying to do what is best for your child. i can't tell you whether or not it is the right thing, but it sounds like you are ok financially and self sustaining so GOOD LUCK!!

3. CButler

CButler Approved members

I can't make a judgement call on whether or not you're doing the right thing. I'm sure you and your husband have thought it out. I will say that when you make a change in your life, taking the step of carrying it out is hard. I think it's normal to have doubts.

I am a stay-at-home mom. I am very glad I can do it, due to Elizabeth's diabetes and other behavior and sleep problems she has. It is not easy, but rewarding.

The good thing is that if it doesn't work out, you can change again.

4. Mom2rh

Mom2rh Approved members

I hope it is a good decision for you. {{{hugs}}} Change is hard...but it sounds like you've really wrestled with this and this seems to be the best for your family.

5. RosemaryCinNJ

RosemaryCinNJ Approved members

It sounds like you thought it all through together and you are doing what is best for your child..You are great parents..good luck with this and let us know how things are going..Your child is one lucky one! :)

6. Abby-Dabby-Doo

Abby-Dabby-Doo Approved members

It's never wrong (IMO) to do what's right for your family.
    Good luck! It could be a bumpy ride at first, hang in there!!!

7. Thoover

Thoover Approved members

Just take it one day at a time. Remember you are doing this for your child. You and your husband have made the decission to do this. Good luck and its great that the DH is willing to work Part Time, what a good dad and mom.. Keep us posted, and never doubt yourself. You are doing a good job..

8. badshoe

badshoe Approved members

Wait a second. You are trusting your DH, as in an adult male spouce, with D care?

Can't be done!

Your likely to end up with some blow hard like Brensdad, Wilf or,

Heaven Forbid!, BadShoe.

There is living proof a man can't be trusted with diabetes care.

9. buggle

buggle Approved members

I stopped working when Brendan was born. I've never regretted it. I think it's great that your hubby and son will have this time together. Very few kids get that much time with their dad and both of them will probably both look back at it as a special time in their lives.

I think it's a great option. And nothing is permanent. If it didn't work out for some reason, you can make different arrangements.

10. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Badshoe watch yourself with your witty sarcasm. I have a case of witty sarcasm too and was told by my neighbor she takes offense to it:eek: Oops.

Anyhow, that is fantastic that you can do it. Sometimes you just have to step back to get a better look at the picture. Was your child really happy? Were you both? If it doesn't work out, you know that your husband can always go back.
    Good luck!

11. Jacob'sDad

Jacob'sDad Approved members

It's only money. If you can get by on less for a few years then why not do it? Not only that, you might be surprised how much you will save by cutting down on child care.
    If I could somehow stay home I would attack our finances with a vengeance. I would make sure that we are being as smart with our money as possible. I know we're not being all that smart right now.:rolleyes:

12. tiffanie1717

tiffanie1717 Approved members

Don't let anyone else make you feel guilty. Half the time they don't even have a clue how demanding it can be to take care of a child with D! You do what is right for your family - that's all that matters!! :)

13. GAmom

GAmom Approved members

You'll never regret your choice. You may have regretted not trying it! Especially all those night you'll be up chasing BG's!!