- advertisement -

Old site care????

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Tigerlilly's mom, Apr 20, 2011.

1. Tigerlilly's mom

Tigerlilly's mom Approved members

Hmmm - another thread got me wondering, am I taking care of Tylers sites?

When I do a site change - I wipe his new site area with an alchol wipe, while that is drying I pull his old site. THAT'S IT! No care for the old site, and only prep for new one is a good wiping with an alchol pad.

Am I doing enough care?

2. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

How is his skin? Infections? If the skin and healing and you don't have infections then I'd say you are doing just what he needs.:cwds:

3. Tigerlilly's mom

Tigerlilly's mom Approved members

Nope - no infections:cwds:...just wondering if we have just been lucky with no infections and if there is more that I should be doing.

4. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

I have to use adhesive remover due to our steel sets, but after the remover I just wipe down with a warm wash cloth to get the remover off.

If the old site looks red or enflamed I will but a dab of neosporin and a small circle bandaid, and check the next day.

Other than that nope.

I think if you have a system that is working not to worry.

5. manda81

manda81 Approved members

We do about the same thing. We use baby oil to remove the old site, sometimes a touch of neosporin on the site directly. For the new sites, we use alcohol wipes and that's it.

6. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

I do what you do and the site areas are pretty good-looking. The only time I do something extra is if there's bleeding, then a put a bandaid over that.

7. Thoover

Thoover Approved members

For almost 4 years we have been doing site changes and we pull off the old and wipe with a paper towl and off she goes. no site infections at all. (NOW KNOCKING ON WOOD)

8. lil'Man'sMom

lil'Man'sMom Approved members

Jen - We don't do anything extra either. No infections to date and skin looks good within a day.

9. gerry speirs

gerry speirs Approved members

Doing EXACTLY the same here and so far no probs...changing every 2 days.

10. kiwiliz

kiwiliz Approved members

I wipe the old site with an alcohol swab. Sounds like I don't need to - but if it is itchy at least it stops her scraping away with her bare fingernails! LOL.

11. mathcat

mathcat Approved members

Usually I rip of the old site before my son takes a bath or shower. Then I give the new site once my son is out.

There are times of being quick that I rip off the old site and do nothing if the site looks fine.

I try to use betadine though (https://www.medtronicdiabetes.com/store/products/details/HMS-6419;JSESSIONID_mmStore=LLhQNwdcpyXJZyTCTPfDpwhyTLmP0jyryclM3XxrvFtyJ3YFmpR2!-420089597!NONE) if I rip of a site anytime other than before bathing. I then wipe the area with a damp washcloth since the betadine is orange and not something I want all over the place.

My son had a site infection that required a visit to the doctor early on. Since I have taken the listed steps, there have been no problems.

12. foxa71

foxa71 Approved members

We remove the old site with baby oil then wipe the old site with an alcohol swab. She hasn't had any infections.

13. CamsMom

CamsMom Approved members

We use IVPrep for Cams new sites. I take the small corner of the IVPrep pad and dab it on the tiny hole. It has alcohol in it and it puts a small seal on the hole where the old site was. :)

14. swimmom

swimmom Approved members

Jen - we do the same thing you do. 4 plus years of site changes and no infections. Also knocking on wood!