- advertisement -

Ok...need some advice...tricks...tips

Discussion in 'Continuous Glucose Sensing' started by Midwestmomma, Oct 25, 2010.

1. Midwestmomma

Midwestmomma Approved members

We have been on the Guardian CGM for a little over a month now...and we need help with a few things...

1. What do you do about the sweating under the tape/transmitter? Tress is a VERY active pre-teen...and sweats like a crazy..and it gets sweaty under the transmitter/tape and it drives him crazy. I tried the guaze pad under the transmitter so it isnt against the skin, and he doesn't like it...

2. After the tape (we have Opsite) has been a couple days...he says it feels like it is "sucking in" as in getting smaller/tighter fitting.... I can kinda see that it is wrinkling up his skin around the sensor/transmitter. Is there anything to do about this...or just have to live with it ? I have been trying to/have to change the tape on day 3...cause it is sucking in and sweaty...
    Help??!!

3. Tresston gets real itchy under the tape/sensor area...and just wants to dig at it to scratch it...normal...or reaction??? I take the tape off on day 3..and he just scratches so bad around that area. He has me us a Q-tip to scratch under the transmitter and around sensor as close as possible.... Any thoughts if it is reaction or normal?? (we use Opsite tape)

Any way to fix any of this would be greatly appreciated....

We love the CGm, and the trends it shows me...I have made some positive changes to basal/bolus that have helped ALOT. And all that I have learned here....has helped me alot. :cwds:

2. Diana

Diana Approved members

My first thought is to try a different tape. Maybe a fabric tape would be more breathable and comfortable. We use Hypafix.

Also, the Opsite tape is stretchy, so when we used that I had to be careful not to pull it too tight or we would get that same "sucking in" thing you are seeing, and it would actually push the edges of the sensor into my son and leave a bad mark.

My son complains about itching also, but it doesn't seem to be as bad as what your son is dealing with. We haven't solved that one yet.

3. Andii

Andii Approved members

My daughter has trouble with itching as well. We put tegaderm, with a hole cut out for the sensor, underneath. Then, we use J&J Tough Pads under the transmitter (cut to fit). The sensor tape still touches her skin, but that doesn't seem to be a big problem. I think the worst for her was the friction from the transmitter, rather than a tape allergy/sensitivity.

4. denise3099

denise3099 Approved members

Well, some ppl don't tape the whole thing down, just a strip across the seashell and another across the sensor. Too loose for my liking. Some use hypafix, a cloth tape that breaths. Some swear by this. It's white and cloth so I think it gets dirty, gross, and worn so I don't love it. I think it's the same tape on the pod.

I tape the whole thing with opsite flexi-fix. I bought the 4 inch wide and cut it into a smaller square and tape the whole thing. But what really made a difference, which I learned here, was to squeeze out an alcohol wipe in a paper towel until it's dry, like 10 seconds, and place that under the seashell. It's very absorbant ad made a huge difference. Not like gauze which I guess would still feel wet. The alcohol pads work so great.

5. Mike&Dans.Mom

Mike&Dans.Mom Approved members

Call Minimed, they will send you a package with various different tapes and glues to try.

My boys use the Tegaderm Hp - fot them it works great!

6. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

You may want to try Hypafix. My son with the skin problem would dig at the tape. I found it wasn't the tape at all with him it was the metal sensor. He can use the same tapes with MM with no problem.

7. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

we're also trying hypafix. Ian was having exactly the same issues as you describe. We're actually on cgm break right now due to all the itchies.. but the week prior to last, hypafix did work much better than opsite. We tried the gauze under the transmitter and he said that actually felt worse than the tape.

8. Midwestmomma

Midwestmomma Approved members

That is what Tress said...it was scratchy. he is scratching holes in the tape..then water gets under there...then he wants the tape off. I have changed the tape 3 times today. We are only on day 3 of this sensor...:(, Im not sure how long I can keep it in... The area where the sensor is isnt too red...just where the tape is.

I will call MM tomorrow...Thanks all...I was about to throw in the towel on the CGM...and he was about to throw it away...
    (not literally)

9. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

yeah, try the hypafix for sure. It's breathable tape. If you don't have any I can send you a piece to try. Let me know if you want some.

10. Dad of Daughters

Dad of Daughters Approved members

This is almost exactly what we do with a couple of variations. First we apply a Bards Barrier wipe to everything that tape will be touching. Then tegaderm as stated above. We use 2 layers of Nexcare tape (very soft, paper-like if you aren't familiar) cut to fit under the transmitter. Then 3 strips of Opsite Flex, 1 along the connection of the sensor and transmitter (covers sensor), and the other 2 perpendicular to the first one, again covering the sensor and extending to cover the transmitter.

Also wanted to add to not get discouraged about taping. We've found that it has been one of the biggest challenges to pumping/CGM and, like both, it takes practice and trial and error. You will find a combo that works and not even give it a second thought after that. Good luck, please let me know if I can help!