- advertisement -

Ok, enlighten me, under what circumstances would one want to IOB feature turned off?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by liasmommy2000, Jun 15, 2011.

1. liasmommy2000

liasmommy2000 Approved members

There must be some reason I assume, since it can be done. I just can't think of one. Came to me this morning as I set Lia's replacement pump up last night and realized later something was not right. Turned out I had the IOB feature turned off. Glad I realized it before sending her to grandma's for the day.

2. Jacob'sDad

Jacob'sDad Approved members

I would never want it turned off, but I do take into account the times when there is both food on board and IOB. The IOB is then for the food that is digesting, so it's really as if there is no EXTRA IOB. The IOB that is there is needed even if BG is in range.

3. JeremysDad

JeremysDad Approved members

With the Omnipod, you can override the IOB if you need to take more insulin but I would not turn it off. It would be too easy to over-bolus and crash. The IOB feature acts as a warning and has often stopped Jeremy from taking too much insulin when he has already bolused.

4. CassiesMama

CassiesMama Approved members

I was just reading about this in our pump owners manual and the reason you would have IOB turned off was if you were using a regular insulin like novolin R or humalin equivalent in your pump. IOB is only able to work with the fast acting insulins like novolog, humalog, and aprida.

5. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

You can over ride any pump. :cwds:

I can't see any reason to have it turned off. In fact its the one thing I missed the most going from MM to Omnipod. MM always has it there and take into account food boluses, omnipod does not.

6. denise3099

denise3099 Approved members

Ahhh, so that's what all those books were for! :p

7. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Approved members

The duration of action goes up to 8 hours on the cozmo. What about animas ? wouldn?t 8 hours work for regular insulin ?

8. Jacob'sDad

Jacob'sDad Approved members

It's not just the duration, it's that the remaining IOB is figured by using an algorithm that is on a curve. It is not linear. For example 4u of IOB over 4 hours would not drop by 1u per hour. Not with Animas anyway. The algorithm is based on the 'logs. It isn't quite right for Apidra either, because the absorption curve for Apidra is different than for either of the 'logs.

The IOB for Apidra is close enough, but it would likely be off significantly for Regular.