- advertisement -

OK, being gluten-free, well ....

Discussion in 'Celiac' started by Nancy in VA, Oct 25, 2010.

1. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

**** WARNING - LONG VENT CONTAINED. Move along if you aren't interested *****

SUCKS! There, I said it.

We were out of town for the weekend for my son's baseball tournament. We stay at the hotel for the team, so we have no say on where we are staying. At least the coordinator now at least makes sure we have a refrigerator.

We were in a "one horse" town in Delaware. Seriously, there was NOTHING around our hotel. There was a Ruby Tuesday in this town, so we could eat there Fri night. One meal handled.

We take our own breakfast foods because we know its often a problem - we can usually get eggs or sausage to go with and that was fine on Saturday.

We planned on eating at the concession stand at the field on Saturday - we usually get a hot dog with no bun and some chips.

But, NO. All of the hot dogs and burgers had been pre-made in another location so they were all on the buns. No chips - they had fries that were cooked in the same oil as the chicken tenders.

And did my husband bring her GF snacks? Of course not - I had left earlier to get my son to the field 30 minutes away from the hotel and he was on Emma duty.

SO, lunch was screwed!

So, we couldn't go down to the beach with everyone else after our second game because Emma hadn't eaten and I hadn't had much luck finding a place for her to eat in Rehoboth. We went back 30 minutes towards our hotel where there was a Wendy's we knew about (keeping in mind, the entire drive passes NOTHING but farms - nothing).

We went down to the beach to meet up with the team - and of course, there's a 5 Guys! None of my searched turned that up - we could have eaten there. Anyway, my kids didn't get much time to play becuase of that.

We thought we were going to eat down at the beach at an Outback - but the entire team was headed back to the hotel, so my kids had no interest in staying longer. Dinner was pizza for all of us but Emma - and she had reheated pasta I had brought in our room.

Sunday morning, the only protein the hotel served for breakfast was eggs and bacon cooked onto a bagel - so no protein for emma! :(

Sunday, at the field, we were in a little better position - we took all of Emma's food for her. We didn't finish playing baseball until about 5:30pm and we had to find a place to eat dinner. We ended up having to go about 25 minutes out of our way to find a Chili's to eat at that wasn't two hours away. Then, they messed up her meal by putting the chicken on a bun, so they had to go and remake the entire meal while the rest of us were eating.

We didn't get home until after 10:30pm and we are all tired and exhausted and I am HATING Celiac right now. It is so much worse than diabetes - no doubt.

2. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

I feel your pain. Celiac sucks, big time.

3. albasmom

albasmom Approved members

I'm so sorry. Celiac really sucks. :(

4. kim5798

kim5798 Approved members

I can totally relate. Sometimes I hate celiac more than diabetes.

5. Yellow Tulip

Yellow Tulip Approved members

I'm so sorry. Celiac really sucks when eating out. I can be happy with it at home, but out, it's a different story... Sorry your weekend was so crummy because of that.

6. BrendaK

BrendaK Neonatal Diabetes Registry

What. A. Nightmare. :(

7. Em's mom

Em's mom Approved members

From the mouth of my 13 year old in regard to her little sister (and I Completely Agree), "Diabetes is Easy compared to Celiac". :(

8. tsoccer5

tsoccer5 Approved members

I say this all the time too!

People seriously just don't get it unless they deal with it daily, hourly, minute to minute like we do

{HUG**

we had to stop at a grocery store and get her food last week because I forgot the cooler on the kitchen counter, but peanuts, rice cakes and fruit are our friend!

9. Em's mom

Em's mom Approved members

SO true!!! There is so much to think about and so many precautions to take, it seems nothing will ever be easy again! I know people think I'm just being anal and/or over-protective because they just don't understand about cross-contamination, etc.

10. jewlzann

jewlzann Approved members

nancy... that stinks....i feel your pain. Went on a spur of the moment shopping trip the other day, not really intending to eat a meal. my girlfriend was starving. choices were very limited, no matter what. i felt so bad, olivia ended up with a teeny tiny bowl of fruit.... that is it.. until we got home.

11. RosebudMama

RosebudMama Approved members

UGH! Man....I feel you, my friend.

Just tonight, my daughter was making a poster for our JDRF walk on Saturday and it said "Diabetes is a cure."

I said "Oh, Honey...you mean Diabetes NEEDS a cure".

To which she replied...

"No Mom. Diabetes IS a cure. Because it's better than celiac."

EEK!!!!!!!