- advertisement -

OK, add on question. Sleeping hours for 7-8 year olds.

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by mmgirls, Mar 7, 2012.

1. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

So, I was very interested in the 'Bedtime" thread.

But realize that I do not wake my DD till 1hr before we has to get out of the house which is 8:45.

So, how many hours do you expect your 7-8 yearl old to sleep. Right now I have bed time at 8:30 and wake up 7:45, so 11 hours. She does have a hard time waking, but giving her only 1hr to wake and get ready to go.

How many hours does your child sleep at night?

2. jbmom1b2g

jbmom1b2g Approved members

My 8 yr old sleeps about 10-11 hrs a night. I send her to bed at 8:00. Sometime she goes right to sleep, sometimes she stays up reading to her sister till 9:00. Then she wakes up at 7:00 and we are out the door at 8:00

3. sarahspins

sarahspins Approved members

About 10 hours for everyone.. my oldest fights it the most but he really needs the sleep or he doesn't function well at school and it's a real struggle to get him moving in the morning. Less than that for my 6 year old (7 in June) and she is a monster.. super whiny, dramatic, and just not fun to be around and that lasts ALL DAY. She's normally in bed on her own by 8, gets up at 6:15.. even on the weekends... she's an early bird (the rest of us aren't) and it usually takes something disrupting her schedule (like we are all out late or something) for her not to follow her normal pattern.

4. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

At that age, I had one who slept 10-11 and the other (twins) about 9-10.
    I too gave them about an hour to get up and get ready, but that was still the age where they woke up on their own without the aid of the alarm or mom yodeling at them every 5 minutes to get up:D

5. StacyMM

StacyMM Approved members

My 8 year old sleeps 8-9 hours a night. If she's not up by 7:00, I get her up, as it gives her an hour to get ready. My 10 year old, at 8, was sleeping 10-11 hours a night. Definitely depends on the kid.

6. DsMom

DsMom Approved members

Lights out for my boys (ages 7 and 9) is 9pm, after a quiet half hour in their rooms...and they both fall asleep like rocks! Now my daughter is in middle school, they tend to get up when she does at 6:30...so they get a good 9 1/2 hours. I will let them sleep as late as 7:30 if they do not get up on their own...they do not have to leave for school until 8:40.

My daughter also has lights out at 9...but she is free to read until she is sleepy. In grade school, she could stay up as late as 10 reading, but now she has to get up at 6:30a, she seems to cherish her sleep more:p...and generally goes to sleep at 9, too. She is 12...and also gets 8 1/2 to 9 1/2 hours.

MY question is...how much sleep are we PARENTS getting!!!;):p:( Guess that's a whole new thread!

7. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

My 7 year old is about on the same schedule. And 2-3 times a week, she naps in the afternoon (I homeschool). My middle child is my early bird, getting up on his own around 6:30am, but Emma would sleep all morning, I think, if I let her.

8. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Jack gets about 9.5 hours a night, and that is sufficient for him. He has never needed a lot of sleep. My daughter has always needed more sleep, and I suspect we'll try to get her 10.5-11 hours at the same age.

9. Mommy For Life

Mommy For Life Approved members

Olivia used to be my early to bed (730pm), early to rise kid (6am)....almost 9 yrs old...and she has recently switched up her routine! Lights are out by 830 up by 7 on school days...8 on weekends. My 2 yr old only sleeps for grandma....takes 2 hr naps AND stays in his bed @ night for 12hrs! My mom says he comes to her house to rest from the chaos here at home. :rolleyes:

10. mom24grlz

mom24grlz Approved members

Emely just turned 9 at the end of February. On school days she normally goes to bed around 9:30pm and sleeps until 7pm. I'd let her sleep later but we have to leave at 7:15am to take Madisyn and Ashleigh to school (middle school starts an hour before elementary). Emely doesn't need to get on the bus until 8:30am.

On Weekends she usually sleeps in until 8:00 or 8:30am.

11. tiger7lady

tiger7lady Approved members

Seems to be pretty consistent! My 7 year old gets 9.5 - 10 hours each night.

12. virgo39

virgo39 Approved members

Just over 11 hours. Lights out is 7:45 p.m. (but we are thinking of moving it to 8:00 p.m.). She gets out of bed at 7:15 a.m. (but I generally test her BG at 7:00 a.m.)

We adjust her bedtime based on how easily she falls asleep and how easily she gets up.

13. MamaLibby

MamaLibby Approved members

My son just turned 8 last weekend, and gets about 9-10 hours of sleep a night. Bedtime is between 9 and 10 and I get him up by 8.
    At that age my 10 year old daughter slept a little less 8-9 horus...she would go to bed about 9 or 10 and up between 6 and 7:30, usually earlier. She just required less sleep, and still does.

14. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

My 12 year old needs 10 hours at night. If she doesn't get it, I notice a difference in how she functions.

15. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

my girls bed time is 8p.. they don't actually fall asleep for at least another 1/2-1hr.. but if I move their bedtime to 9, they are still up for that hour. I have one kid that gets up and is motivated to get herself ready (most of the time) I have another one that even if she gets up on her own I have to help move along (both are 9 yrs right now) and half the time she still isn't ready as we're walking out the door for the bus. They have about an hour to get ready, but most of the time they waste all but about 10mins, the last 10min they are usually running around trying to get everything together, lol.

16. jessicat

jessicat Approved members

My 7 year old gets 10-11 hours. To bed 7:30 or 8pm and up at 6am (we are out the door by 6:45 am) on the weekends he will sleep till 6:30 ish. He has always been an early bird.

17. Jilleighn

Jilleighn Approved members

My daughter just turned 9 at the end of Feb. She goes to bed at 9, might move around for 15mins, but a sleep by 915pm and she is up at 7am during the school week. On friday and saturday she gets to stay up til 10pm and we let her sleep until whenever she wakes up which is usually 9ish maybe a tad bit later. We do not have a set wake up time in our home on the weekends.

18. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

Thanks everyone.

I do not have an early bird here! Yet most nights she is not wanting to go to bed at 830, yet I let her sleep nearly 11hrs and I have to wake her, get her up and check on her. My 3yr old is better about having a normal sleep pattern!

The reason I ask is that our schedual will really be changing in May, she will have to go to before school care twice a week and we will have a fight on our hands on the nights before those days.