- advertisement -

OHIP coverage for Type 1 Children?

Discussion in 'Canada' started by mo779, Nov 22, 2013.

1. mo779

mo779 Approved members

My daughter, 4 year old, was diagnosed with type 1 two months ago. Currently I have health coverage through work, so all the cost for her blood test strips, lancets etc. is paid by them. But, what if I didn't have health coverage through work? What would be covered by OHIP, and what would I have to pay for? The Glucometer was given to us by Sick Kids, so I am assuming that is covered by OHIP. Just really confused and a bit worried, since we are single income household. Any info on coverage, tax breaks etc. would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. AliciaM

AliciaM Approved members

Coverage provider #3 : Assistive Devices Program (ADP), Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care

Who qualifies? Patients 65 years of age or older who use insulin by injection on a daily basis.

For what supplies? Annual grant of $170, paid once per year, for the purchase of needles and syringes used to inject insulin.

Who qualifies? Children, youth and adults with type 1 diabetes who meet the program?s medical eligibility criteria. You must be assessed and followed up by an ADP-registered Diabetes Education Program.

Patients who continue to qualify will have to show that they meet the eligibility criteria.

For what supplies?

100 % of the cost of an insulin pump listed with the program, which must be sold to the patient at the ADP-approved price of $6,300.
    Funding for insulin pumps can be renewed every five years, if the pump is no longer in good working order.
    An annual grant of $2,400 for related supplies, paid out in four equal payments ($600 each) directly to the patient or their legal agent. The grant must be used to buy supplies needed to make the pump work and must be renewed on a yearly basis.

1-800-575-5386
    Visit http://www.health.gov.on.ca/english/public/pub/drugs/trillium.html
    Coverage provider #4 : Assistive Devices Program (ADP), administered by the Canadian Diabetes Association, Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care

Who qualifies? Eligible patients who use insulin or have gestational diabetes.

For what supplies?

75 % of the cost of a blood glucose monitor up to $75, or 75 % of the cost of a talking blood glucose monitor up to $300. Patients can access this funding once every five years.
    75 % of the cost of lancets and testing strips up to $820 annually.

Canadian Diabetes Association : 1-800-361-0796

I bolded the parts that apply to your daughter. Looks like lancets and strips would be covered under ADP if you had no other insurance and pump supplies and pump later on if you decide to go that route. To get a pump though you have to be on MDI for a year in ontario in order to receive a pump through ADP (assistive devices program). There is a grant for that as well that you get its $2600 divided every 4 months annually to pay for cartridges/reservoirs and insets and such. Hope that helps :)

Also if you decide you want a different meter if you call the company most will send you one for free with a sample of test strips. They don't really ever make $ off the meter they make the $ off the strips so don't be hesitant if you want to try some diff company meters and lancers too. I use a freestyle insulinx meter (free on their website) but I use the one touch delica lancer because I like it the best out of the few I tried.

3. mo779

mo779 Approved members

Thanks Alicia, that gives me a bit of comfort. Just so much stress right now. I have been looking at pumps, and think they are a better option. Just have to wait until my daughter is a bit older and more aware of what's going on. Its tough right now.

4. KHS22

KHS22 Approved members

If you find yourself in that situation, Lilly is very generous (makers of humalog) - they will give 3 month supply of insulin at a time for free. Just ask your dr to fill out a form.

Also, the CDA (Canadian Diabetes Association), will help out with test strips. Just call your local branch.

5. mo779

mo779 Approved members

Thanks... I hope I never find myself in that situation, but this is all good info to have, thanks guys.