- advertisement -

Oh MY!!!

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Tigerlilly's mom, Aug 9, 2011.

1. Tigerlilly's mom

Tigerlilly's mom Approved members

Tyler has never complained about wearing his medical alert bracelet/ necklace in the past. At times he has been specific about what kind it is, but has still worn it.

Anyways, after losing his 3rd dogtag style medical alert necklace after taking it off to swim (not the cheap kind you can buy at the local pharmacy either)....

He decides he doesn't like wearing them....his arguement is that he is always with someone that knows he has diabetes, blah blah blah...well that doesn't fly with me...so I basically tell him, you find something online etc that you will wear and I will get it for you....his solution.....A REAL TATOO!!! He goes on to say that this is something that he will always have so why not just get a tatoo medical alert bracelet now, then he doesn't have to worry about losing it etc.

Well the kid does have a point...but he will have to wait until he is 18 to make such a huge decision.:cool:

*he IS wearing a medical alert necklace right now...one that I made from a bracelet that he outgrew and a necklace from American Eagle. (sad that he has already outgrown 2 medical alert bracelets:()

2. Droz

Droz Approved members

Justin my 13 year old read your post and now wants one smile. He wants the chain around his upper arm with the symbol for diabetes then the words type I. I'm thinking we might have to wait a few years for this one.

3. Melissata

Melissata Approved members

Both my son and daughter wear gold chains with a medical alert tag on them that I bought from a jeweler before gold prices went through the roof. I think that a child or adult wearing a pump and CGM would be less likely to need a medical alert, because it would be pretty evident to any EMS. Tattoos are forever and some small part of me is hopeful that diabetes will be cured in their lifetime. Boy wouldn't they want that tattoo gone then!

4. momtozachandkay

momtozachandkay Approved members

I bought my son an expensive dog tag necklace too. He hated wearing it. He would take it off at school and play with it and then get into trouble. But the teacher's knew they couldnt take it away. The chain would make too much noise. I got lots of emails complaining about it. So I took the dog tag to James Avery, and got a leather rope. No more noise. But he still wouldn't wear it for long periods of time. So this summer I finally bought him a silicon bracelet at an online store where you can choose your own wording, color, etc. I got two of them and they were not that expensive and can be worn in the pool. Zach would wear it during the day for awhile and take it off but now he is so used to it, he even sleeps with it.

I will look and see if I can remember where I ordered it from. Okay, found it. http://www.wristbandconnection.com/

Last edited: Aug 9, 2011
  5. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

LOL! I'm pretty sure my son would prefer a tattoo to a medical alert whatever. Honestly, it's the only thing about D he has consistently complained about. (And being the bad parents we are, we are not very consistent about making him wear it. :rolleyes:)

6. fdlafon

fdlafon Approved members

Jordan hasn't worn his bracelet in forever either.

7. Marie4Julia

Marie4Julia Approved members

Julia hardly ever wears hers either. When I feel like she needs it on, and she doesn't want to wear it, we've come up with a compromise. She always wears a ton of bracelets on her wrist (i'm sure a med alert bracelet would spoil that great look:rolleyes:). So she will write "Diabetes T1" with sharpie on the inside of her wrist. It's covered by the other "cool" bracelets, but would certainly be seen in an emergency.

I know... how is that better than wearing a bracelet... no telling:rolleyes:

8. Joretta

Joretta Approved members

My DD had the same issue until she wanted to go off to the 4th of July city event with her friends. I said yes do you have your medical alert dog tag. Her answer was no I lost it I said fine. When we arrived at the lake front event I proceeded my child to the medical/ first aid tent the event has and I introduced my child to all the fire/EMT personal and explained why we were there. I then took her to the mounted police post and did the same. Amazing the next day her dog tag was found and she asked to look for something new as after I introduced her I informed her this would happen anytime she wanted to be away from me as an event with first aid stations and the police. I also let her know if those were not available she would not go without me. By the way what helped was an EMT who walked around kept asking her are you okay to remind her. I have had no more problems other than the permanent tattoo came up and I let her know I want a cure in her life time and it is painful and expensive to remove a tattoo (She agreed).

9. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

My husband is a tatoo artist and could probably think up a real nice design for a diabetes medic alert tatoo;) And of course he would give those with type 1 a real good deal. For Tyler and the rest under 18, that would be a few years yet then look us up:cool:

10. MamaBear

MamaBear Approved members

To the OP... LOL I'd tell him until he's 18 and can pay for it himself, no deal!

Oh I wish we lived closer. My artist moved out of state and I would love a piece in honor of my son to add to my "collection".

11. Tigerlilly's mom

Tigerlilly's mom Approved members

I will pay for it when he is old enough if he still wants it...what great peace of mind knowing that he will always have his medical alert id "on" even when he is no longer living at home and I can't nag him about it!!

12. MamaBear

I could see doing that too. MY D child has never expressed any interest in tattoos, but I have thought about the fact that it would be ID that would not get lost. My other child says she's not sure, and I tell her if she ever wants one, she has to be of age, but honestly never discussed financing. The one thing I make clear is that neither of them should expect that just because mom is covered in colorful art, doesn't mean she is going to be that "cool parent" who will take them to get inked up while they are in high school. She says she knows and that I am boring. Rude!

13. Helenmomofsporty13yearold

Helenmomofsporty13yearold Approved members

I don't know how old you have to be with parent's permission, etc., but Brett Michaels got an awesome one depicting Type 1 on of his reality shows if you are fans of tattoos.

14. kimmcannally

kimmcannally Approved members

I would really like for J to get a medical tattoo. He does wear his dogtags, but never at home, so he tends to forget to put them on when we go out sometimes. I have a sticker on the passenger window where he sits that says passenger is diabetic. Honestly, I would love to get him a tattoo, but only the one, I'd hate to see him start a collection of them. :eek:

15. MamaBear

Well if he were to start a collection, I hope you would not be too judgemental. Plenty of us who have collections (and I am not the only one on this site who does) are still wonderful parents and functioning members of society. Having tattoos doesn't make one a bad person any more than not having them would make one a good person.

16. Mrs Puff

Mrs Puff Approved members

My ds picked out a kinda heavy chain bracelet when he was first diagnosed. He did not like the rubbery kinds or the velcro sport ones. I also bought him a dog tag. The thing I wondered about when I saw all the pretty bead ones for girls is how would a medic know it was a diabetes bracelet? Same goes for the rubbery ones. Does a medic check out all the jewelry a person is wearing before they get to work? If someone got a tattoo, but also had a bunch of others, how would a medic know where to look? I am not being sarcastic, I really want to know. When ds wears his dog tag I have wondered if anyone would notice it if he had it on under his shirt.

17. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

I'm honestly curious if a tattoo would work? Would EMS people even bother looking for/at that? I know they are trained to look for bracelets/necklaces but tattoos are so common these days that I'd honestly be scared it would never be noticed in an emergency situation.

Anyone know? (not that I'm letting my teen get a tat, but I'm curious!)

18. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

Oh funny, I didn't see you had posted the same question! I have wondered the same with the pretty beaded ones as well.

We asked our local EMS and showed them his dog tags and they said they'd definitely find those, maybe not first thing but within the first pass of looking (after they established ABCs~airway/breathing/circulation~ that's all they care about in the initial assessment phase)

19. MamaBear

I do have a friend who is a paramedic and they are trained to look for medical ID of course. His suggestion to me was to get my son a necklace from medic alert. I wonder too about the frilly bracelets, they really don't look too much like medical ID. I really don't think they would look for a tattoo for medical purposes at all.

20. PAULEEN

PAULEEN Approved members

my son is 15 and found survival bands they are parachute cords with a dogtag that we put all of his info on can be found go to www.survivalstraps.com he is a boyscout and thinks it is very cool, hasn't taken it off yet and it is very durable. They have hundreds of colors to choose from and they even have some that may appeal to girls:)