- advertisement -

Oh boy, little dramatic?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by lcblk27, Jan 13, 2012.

1. lcblk27

lcblk27 Approved members

I was at an indoor playground with my son (5) and a couple of his friends. Whenever he plays there, I have all I can do to keep his bg up. So Im checking his bg and his friend asks what we are doing. My son replies "I have diabetes. If my mom doesnt check my blood sugar, I'll die."

Oh geeze! I have never said anything like that to him before. On the one hand I do think he needs to understand that D is not something to be treated lightly but I also dont want him to think he's gonna die if I dont check him once. How do I explain that to him?

After I got his reading, his friend says "Is he gonna die?". Oy!

2. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

What did you already say?

I think you should discuss it in private with him and ask him what he thinks. Ask him why he said what he said.

3. lcblk27

lcblk27 Approved members

I have told him that checking his bg keeps him safe and healthy, but I've never said anything about dying.

4. denise3099

denise3099 Approved members

Lugh it off and say, Oh for heaven's sake, you aren't goining to die!

I told my daughter that her everybody needs insulin but that her body doesn't make it so we have to give it to her and we check bs to figure out how much to give.

I also said that it's like water--anybody would die within like 3 days without water and in a few weeks without food. Anybody would die without insulin too but that's not gonna happen since we have access to insulin food and water.