- advertisement -

Odd occurrence today

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by msschiel, Dec 15, 2015.

1. msschiel

msschiel Approved members

We have been pumping for nearly a month now and things are going great (still dealing with lows at times, but rarely highs). I was at my sil's this morning, getting ready to go shopping with her and my sister. Got a call from the school saying I needed to pick up my D son. He had a temp of 99.4 (not considered a fever, anything over 100.1) and an upset stomach and his sugar was 202 (or something around that). He had been 150 last night, but we had a low carb dinner (burritos) and I attributed it to a delay due to more protein than carbs, which has happened before. Corrected him and he was 87 this morning at breakfast. I got the call at 8:45 am. Picked him up and brought him home. Didn't correct and he was down to 167 when we got home. He was down to near normal at lunch time and been fine ever since. He is missing his band concert tonight because he wasn't at school, but if it was D related, he could possibly go, but I can't say for sure.

I just found it odd that he spiked and was fine just an hour or two later. Didn't know if this had happened to anyone else.

2. rgcainmd

rgcainmd Approved members

I won't address whether my daughter has experienced anything similar right now, as I just wanted to fire off a quick reply about you son's band concert tonight. My daughter is also in her middle school's band. Whether your son missing some school was D-related or not: if you can't say for sure, I'd err on the side of it being D-related and I'd let him attend his band concert (unless, of course, he was not feeling well at that time.)

3. jenm999

jenm999 Approved members

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say dirty fingers, he wasn't really 202.

4. Theo's dad Joe

Theo's dad Joe Approved members

So he was at 87 and ate breakfast, and got insulin let's say around 7:00-7:30 and at 8:45 he was at around 202 and by the time you picked him up and got him home he was 167 and by lunch he was near normal. Is that considered to be unusual?

I don't personally think that there is anything in the blood sugar spike that is unusual. Doesn't he usually go up and then come back down after breakfast. 202 may not be perfect, but its probably a better than average peak for a kid under 12 at breakfast.

My son by the way has had a very mild virus for the last 2 days and he ran about 15-20 points higher across the board, peaks and pre-meals. I wouldn't have even known he was sick otherwise (but everyone else in the house had a cold too and today he's back to normal or even a little lower (70 at dinner) so glad I didn't raise his Lantus or change lunch ratio).

http://www.diabetesselfmanagement.com/managing-diabetes/blood-glucose-management/strike-the-spike/
    Gary Scheiner
    How high is too high?

In most cases, blood glucose levels peak about an hour after finishing a meal or snack. Ideally, the blood glucose level at the peak should be below 180 mg/dl, or less than 80 mg/dl higher than it was before the meal. With children, after-meal peaks can be a bit more liberal. Teenagers should try to keep peaks below 200 mg/dl, school-age children below 225 mg/dl, and pre-schoolers and toddlers below 250 mg/dl.

In practice, these ideals may not be achieved by many. Research conducted at Yale University on children with Type 1 diabetes indicated that after-meal blood glucose peaks are generally much higher than the recommended levels. After breakfast, the average peak blood glucose level was 293 mg/dl; after lunch it was 291 mg/dl; after dinner, 280 mg/dl. In fact, nearly half (46%) of meals were followed by a blood glucose peak of over 300 mg/dl!

Regarding school, if you want him to go to the band concert I would tell them that because he has D you felt that he needed closer observation given his symptoms and that the nurse/clerk felt the need to call to send him home despite what may have turned out to be milder symptoms than would have warranted. If he feels fine, just tell them its D "related" and that he is now clear regarding D, and to be on the safe side it is better for them not to exclude him from a valuable experience.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2015
  5. Theo's dad Joe

Theo's dad Joe Approved members

Is that an unusual number for 8:45 after breakfast, then coming down to 167 a little later and normal by lunch?

6. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

Why in the heck are they calling you for a 202? Shoot, a 202 after breakfast is a good number for us. Most diabetics spike after breakfast - morning insulin resistance.

7. susanlindstrom16

susanlindstrom16 Approved members

This would not be an unusual pattern for us. Today she was 232 after breakfast and before getting on the bus, 98 at 10:30 and 90 at lunchtime.

8. msschiel

I guess I should clarify. The 202 is a bit unusual since starting the pump, but he eats breakfast between 6 and 6:30 in the morning and he doesn't usually check until lunch time at 11:30, unless he feels low or high. We don't have CGM either, so I am not sure if he runs high after breakfast or not. I will check this over Christmas vacation. He was 45 one afternoon last week and felt pretty crappy, never was that low at school before. Anyways, the temp is what was odd, even though 99.4 isn't very high. He was fine after a few hours at home. I should have sent him to the concert, but I just wasn't sure if it was totally D related (the higher temp and sore throat and upset stomach). This nurse sometimes gets in the mood to send kids home and being that he is in there several times a day, she thinks she knows how he is feeling. Next time, unless he has a fever or just doesn't look well, I will just have her keep him in the office for a bit.

9. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Why stay in the office with a 200 bg? Obviously if he's not feeling well he should stay but I have to warn you, if you're going to have him sit in the office will every blip of a high then he'll spend most of HS there :)

10. msschiel

No, he only stays in the office if he is low, for 20 minutes to recheck. His numbers weren't a worry to me at all. The sore throat and stomach were probably why she called (stuff like that is going around our school). This got me wondering if a higher sugar could cause the elevated temp or maybe he just got warm, who knows. His temp has been fine all day since he came home.

One day he wasn't feeling quite well (no temp) and he laid down for a bit and was fine and went back to class.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2015
  11. Mish

Mish Approved members

He probably is that high every day after breakfast, you just don't know it. Really, I'd be looking at some other reason he didn't want to be in school. 99.4 is within the normal range of temps, and upset stomach is classic "I need to get out of class" excuse. Honestly, I'm surprised the nurse didn't see through that one. ;)

Last edited: Dec 16, 2015
  12. MamaC

MamaC Approved members

My kid would never have made it to lunch if they called about a 202. Actually, most days he wouldn't have gotten out of the house with that threshold.

13. msschiel

He is usually one that likes school, so I will ask him if really felt bad or just wanted to come home. Maybe he did feel bad and I should have had him try and wait it out.

14. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Same here, especially after an evening meal of burritos, know fondly (or not so) as "curse of the tortilla!"
    If I got a call to get the girls at a 202 during any point of the day, I'd have one or both home on a daily basis.
    Spikes, they happen. IMHO, sounds like school panicked.

15. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

In some situations, my daughter who's had D longer will feel crappy after a high, even if it was just a spike. But that's not often.

Maybe he just needed a break and thought he didn't feel good?

16. msschiel

Trust me, he has been way higher than 202 and I haven't gotten called. I think she overreacted, too, especially with other bugs going through the school. If I hadn't been planning on going out of town, I would have had him wait it out, but oh well. Can't go back! I wonder, too, since we have tighter control with the pump, that he feels his highs a bit more now. He hasn't been much over 200 (that we caught on meter, anyways) since we started the pump. Once we are on Christmas vacation next week, I will do some 2 post breakfast checks to see where he goes after he eats.

17. sszyszkiewicz

sszyszkiewicz Approved members

For what its worth, the nurse in our school is a bit quick to send kids home, and I think this is more of an effort to keep the virus de jour from zipping through the school.

18. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

Ah, oh, by the way, YES a fever can cause an unexpected high. More specifically, illness can cause unexpected highs. Sometimes, Emma will have a day of unexpected highs - and I mean 300s, and the next day she spikes a fever. So, it could have been the little germ that caused the high and the low-grade fever, yes. But, I wouldn't be picking up for 99.4 any more than I would be picking up for 202!

19. msschiel

Trust me, we dealt with plenty of fevers last year, so I know they can cause highs. He missed 18 days of school last year and only 2 of those were for D related appointments. He missed nearly 12 days in a row. Got sick with one thing, got better and then picked up something else that lasted 10 days! Felt fine after about 3 days, but the fever kept coming back at night. Got back to normal from that went right into a growth spurt! My oldest missed 11 days of school and I don't think he has missed that much combined since he started school. Took forever to get him regulated on MDI. With pumping highs are usually from a bad site or food as of late, so it makes me wonder how he will react with a bug.