- advertisement -

Occlusion problems with Animas 1200

Discussion in 'Insulin Pumps' started by selketine, Mar 31, 2006.

1. selketine

selketine Approved members

I'm posting because we started having problems with William's Animas 1250 pump that is about 1.5 years old now (he is 4). I would get occlusion warnings every now and then but his pump started to have them more often for no apparent reason. I eventually figured out that if I just disconnected his pump and re-primed it and reconnected (not changing his set or reservoir) that it worked fine.

After having more frequent occlusion warnings I called Animas and they told us there is a problem with some of their 1200 models which give false occlusion warnings. We ruled out other issues (sensitivity setting on the pump, etc). I guess it eventually gets to the point where the pump gets unusable (not delivering basal or boluses like it should). They are overnighting me a loaner and we're sending his pump back so they can fix it.

I thought I'd just give a "heads up" in case anyone else starts having frequent occlusion warnings.

Carol

2. Cheryl

Cheryl Approved members

We had that problem with the Animas 1000. So far the IR1200 has, 2 years, we have not had that problem. This past week we did have pump failure while on the beach...what a scare. It was our first failure that we could not get the flashing cursor to advance through the system. Animas had a new pump on the door step when we returned home the next day.

Dispite the minor problems we have had, Animas has been very good to us by replacing and/or customer support.

3. munchkingirl

munchkingirl Approved members

Thanks for the "heads-up". I didn't know about this problem and have not ever run into it (hopefully won't ever.).

Hope they get yours fixed really soon. They've always been great at responding to me. :)

4. leslie91879

leslie91879 Approved members

ANIMAS RULES!!!!!!!!!! I know several of their educators and all of them are upstanding. one of them even offered to meet me at work to download my glucowatch once a month when she was in my town how cool is that

5. Hollyb

Hollyb Approved members

Hi, I don't think this has anything to do with your problem 'cause you've had the pump for awhile without the alarms, but when we started Aaron on his pump out trainer suggested we set the occlusion alarm to the less sensitive setting. She said on "high" (or whatever it is) "it will drive you crazy." I guess it tends to alarm any time a bit of pressure builds up from a temporary bend in the tubing or whatever.

Just a piece of info for any new Animas users out there.

6. fulljef

fulljef Approved members

We use to get a few occlusion's we our animas but we changed to different infusion types. The confort when we took them out the cannula was always bent! We now use two different types depending where we are in the rotation. The rapid D and the inset. Rapid D on the stomach becuase he is so skinny! and the inset on the botton/hips and outer legs. Once we did this the occlusion's stopped. In fact I cannot remeber that last time he had one and has been pumping for 5 years now. When he was 9 and on the IR1000 seemed like it always happened 1 hour after he went to bed. but changing the infusion types stopped that! So I'm not always sure it's a pump issue. By the way I have almost a box and a half of the comfort's if anyone wants them :)

Jeff
    Adam dxd@7 now 13

7. selketine

selketine Approved members

I don't think the occulsion warnings are always a pump issue but the Animas folks did tell me that they are having a problem with some of the 1200 pumps. Eventually the occulsion warnings come every few hours. We kept thinking it was set issue too until they came so often that it couldn't be the set (he uses Rapid D's so no cannula issues). After re-priming the set would work fine (repriming the line after disconnecting to the tail of course).

Anyway, if you keep having problems with frequent occulsion warnings I'd give them a call. We've had no problems with the loaner pump and his pump has supposedly been fixed and is coming back to us tomorrow:)