- advertisement -

Occlusion issues have begun

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by nanhsot, Jul 22, 2013.

1. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

Ok, so we were forewarned, but this is MUCH worse than anticipated. Didn't even make it 24 hours and occlusions happened overnight so he woke up in the 400s. Pretty disappointed as I had talked to enough tslim users who did NOT have trouble to hope he'd be one who could use apidra in it.

Just got off the phone with CS and have a few ideas to try (tightening the luer lock, he's been using cold insulin, a few other minor things) but mostly he's going to give novolog a trial run and see what happens with it. Then he'll have to decide if it's worth it to switch to novolog or if he will just go back onto the Ping and consider MM for his next pump in order to get the 300u cartridge.

Pretty bummed right now. Expected to maybe see some issues on day 3, but he's not made it even to the 48 hour mark which is what Apidra recommends.

2. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

I am sorry, I was hoping that with the amount of insulin he used it would not be an issue. And the fact that you can not have an extra cartridge filled up and waiting with the T:slim makes it all that much harder.

I hope that he might find a good combo of things to try to fix the issue.

Is there any particular time that the occultions happen?

can you see them? because it would be happening in the tubing right? well I guess it could be the cartridge too/.

3. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

He says he's seen them, but I could not today. I went through a systems check with CS at Tandem and she had me fill the cannula, I did it both with the long tubing and disconnected at the luer lock area and it says it spit out 25 units and nothing was dripping, so it appears to ME to be inside somewhere.

I suppose there is some small possibility that there are malfunctions, we'll see how the novolog does for him, both FOR him and in the pump.

No particular time, it's happened daytimes during bolus and last night overnight.

4. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Sorry to hear you are having trouble. No advice here, just hope you get it worked out soon.

5. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

so it did not give an alarm with the fill cannula delivery of 25 units that did not actually deliver?

that is troublesome, I used to use the fill cannula to "super bolus" allot.

6. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

No alarm, it also wasn't connected to anything though. Not sure if that alters things.

7. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

OK, so he put novolog in at 2pm. It's now 5pm and he tried to bolus and got an occlusion alarm! So maybe he just got a defective pump or something? Weird. I wanted to talk to the specific CS rep who worked with us this am so am awaiting a callback from her.

Interesting. Maybe it's not the apidra after all?

8. suzyr

suzyr Approved members

We have had the tslim pump since the end of October. We were never able to get 2 days out of the apidra either, and this was before heard about apidra perhaps not working in the tslim.

I have to say I was so disappointed at the time because I had no idea that I might have to change from Apidra to use the pump.
    My husband encouraged me to give it a try since this was the pump my daughter had really wanted.
    What a blessing in disguise for us. I have to say that day 1 is the same as day 3 now that we are using humalog in the tslim. We sometimes go 4 days before we realize it is site change...yes site change reminder is on but she is a teenager:)
    Hoping it all works for you....we had the lowest A1c since diagnosis last check up.
    Good Luck

9. moco89

moco89 Approved members

Most short acting insulins have a phosphate buffer to prevent occlusions. Apidra does not.