- advertisement -

Obamas speech to public school children...

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by gboysmom, Sep 3, 2009.

1. Kaylesdad

Kaylesdad Approved members

The point is truly not gotten here. The point is that we as a people, an American people have the right and freedom to choose. Choose what we do and do not like, who we do or do not vote for, chose what we will and will not watch. The pointless crap of my stance is better than your stance, or I?m right and you?re wrong is meaningless. The basic fundamental value here is we both have our beliefs, thoughts, likes and dislikes, and both sides should be respected and herd by simply agreeing to disagree.

You speak of Respect, Patriotism, and American Values as punch lines in some feeble attempt to make others believe in your beliefs.

Respect is earned, not awarded, elected, or appointed
    Patriotism is shown, each and every day but mostly when no one is looking
    And American Values are fought for, not just by our military, but by each and every one of us.

Instead of fighting about who?s better, or who?s right or wrong. Mocking fellow posters typos or spelling and questioning an individual?s personal choice. We should be celebrating the fact that you are allowed and free to tell your children who you support and why you support them, and I can tell my children who I do or do not support and why I have come to my choices, and afterwards both children can and will play in the schoolyard forgetting everything we?ve both told them focused on only one thing,,, friendship. By instilling our values and beliefs in our children they will surly grow up into productive adults who will in turn make their own choices based on their own beliefs and values not necessarily in line with our own, and that is what the point should be and where the beauty lies.

2. Illinifan

Illinifan Approved members

Agreed. The freedom to choose is one of the things that makes America great.

Look no further than the cereal aisle in your local grocery store and think about what all those different boxes of fiber and sugary goodness actually represent.

It's the same for politics, religion, the marketplace, TV shows, books, and a myriad of other things to include ideas.

Don't tell me what breakfast I have to eat and I won't tell you which politician to elect.

You may, however, tell me why you prefer Honey Nut Cheerios over Crispy Wheats and Raisins. If you'd like, I can explain why I vote for conservatives instead of liberals.

At the end of the day, I'll choose what cereal to eat and you can choose which ideas to agree with and we'll both still be Americans.

3. buggle

buggle Approved members

Part of the shared values of our nation is respect for the office of the president. There's going to be a significant chunk of the public who is unhappy with the choice the majority made in an election. Regardless of who's president and from which party, if we all spend tons of time ripping the president to pieces, questioning every decision and distorting and fabricating lies to try to derail the president and ruin his administration's chance for working on very serious issues facing all of us, then we only hurt ourselves. Both sides are guilty of this.

It's no big deal for a sitting president, who has made it very clear from the beginning that education is a very important issue for him, to encourage our children to work hard in school and do their best. He's probably trying to make them feel valued and important by the president addressing them directly. I can't really understand how people are buying the talk show and TV hosts jumping on this like it's some sort of horrible thing that must be stopped. There's no logic to it.

4. saxmaniac

saxmaniac Approved members

Ask them this: would they be upset and pull their kids out of school when Reagan did the same thing? This speech is more than just "stay in school".

Reagan was always amazingly clear about his conservative beliefs, and he's not afraid to touch on them in his talks with kids. I see no difference between that and Obama. Nor do I have a problem with either.

5. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

I do not give two craps whether someone pulls their child out of school for this. Truly, I don't. I do object when people are trying to get the entire school district to not show the speech. Censorship sucks.

6. Illinifan

For this particular set of friends, the answer would be "YES" for Reagan as well. One of their big fears is the intrusion of government into their lives a la "Big Brother" in 1984.

7. gboysmom

gboysmom Approved members

Beautiful! I COMPLETELY AGREE WITH THE ABOVE STATEMENT!!!!

Wow...Glen just wanted to give his opinion...he told me that he wasn't aware this was a slam board. I just posted because I was curious to know how others felt on the subject of the speech. I NEVER dreamed it would turn so ugly.

8. hawkeyegirl

How does it get much uglier than accusing another parent of not caring about their child, which is what your husband did? He flat out said that he feels sorry for those kids whose parents would let them watch this speech, because only parents who don't care about their kids would let them watch the President speak. If it wasn't such a downright stupid thing to say, I'd be a lot madder, but him making that statement and now complaining about the tone of the thread is getting me a bit peevish.

Here's his quote, for easy reference:

You say you agree with the post you quoted by KaylesDad, but here your husband is accusing parents who disagree with him of not loving their children. So do you agree with KaylesDad that we should respect each others' choices as parents or do you agree with your husband that I don't love my children because I would let them see the speech? I'm not sure you can have it both ways.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2009
  9. colebenmom

colebenmom Approved members

I am a fourth grade teacher and plan on showing President Obama's Address to my class on the 8th (I will make my final decision after I read it Monday). Our district is not taking an official stand but rather leaving it up to each individual teacher and giving the parents an option for their child not to watch it.

My reason for showing my students is this:

If another adult can talk to my students about the importance of their education, working hard, doing homework, staying in school, etc. then I am all for it! Being that it is the President, maybe they will listen (except if it were Miley Cyrus or Michael Jordan like someone else stated, it might work better).

Children need to hear this message. They need to hear it from their parents, their teachers, their older siblings, their favorite athlete, their grandparent, etc. They need to hear it from as many people as it takes to sink in or motivate them to do their best. If it inspires one child in my class to work hard this year then I'll be happy.

Teachers answers and/or discussion do influence our children just like little Johnny on the playground. It doesn't matter if it is a political discussion or a sports discussion - other people besides ourselves influence our children. I'm glad when my kids have something different to offer to the table.

I think we should look at this as an opportunity for our children to listen to a positive message.

10. Illinifan

Wow. Glen needs to read more. This is probably the most calm politically related OT thread we've ever had. Nobody's said anything about leaving CWD or said they were going to put somebody on ignore or even mentioned trolls (that would be me, btw. ;))

We are a diverse group with varied political beliefs. If you can't handle reading somebody else's differing opinions, then don't frequent these kind of threads.

However, if you do show up and state an opinion then be prepared to get feedback.

Ugly? This is even close.

Btw, I am still optimistically hopeful. :)

11. gboysmom

[

Hello Stacey,s husband again here . What I said is "The people that don't see themselves as teachers of their own children. I feel sad for your child that they do not mean enough to you to teach them and instead give that power to a man that for most of us wont ever know any more than what the television tells us who he is." I don't see the word love anywhere in that statement . The only person that should be offended by this statement is some one guilty of this action . I can not control anyone's feelings but my own . I never said "that he feels sorry for those kids whose parents would let them watch this speech, because only parents who don't care about their kids would let them watch the President speak." That in my opinion is what was read into something that was not understood . Something again I cannot thank goodness control.One thing that did offend me was that Illinifan brought up major league baseball (GO RANGERS) and college football (HOOK,EM HORNS ) and no one besmirched his name or post the way poor little me was.

I L L - I N I really nobody has anything to say LOL jk Illinifan

12. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Got a note home today just that they will be arranging lunch differently. I would like to go to the school to watch with my kids then we can talk about it when we get home

13. hawkeyegirl

Yes, I know what you said. I quoted it in my own post. So in the middle of this thread about Obama's speech to schoolchildren, you mention parents who don't care enough about their own kids to teach them and instead give that power to [presumably] Obama, and I'm supposed to believe that you're not talking about parents who let their kids watch this speech? Is there some other way that parents are turning over their child's education to the President of which I'm unaware? I think you're backpedaling now, and it may well work, since your posts are honestly so barely coherent that I really can't tell exactly what you actually ARE saying.

14. gboysmom

Illinifan is correct I do need to read more on this board Stacey is always on .She read a couple of things to me last night about this thread and I couldnt resist . I did not get my point across. For that I apologize . Goes to show you should not write when you get passionate or you will tork off half the world .This country has basic freedoms about choice and when they are taken away, even something as small as this, it is a travesty .

15. gboysmom

It's Stacey again.

Wow, Karla...You guys are both, equally as passionate about this and that is fine. Do you really have to say that his posts are barely coherent? He is a conductor for the railroad, he isn't a computer guru. I think the personal attacks are out of line.

Like I said earlier it's uncalled for to be ugly. IT WAS AN OPINION of Glen's. That's all. It's gotton off track and for this I apologize, but I refuse to have you personally attack him for the way he types.

I think it's time to have this thread removed.

I'M SORRY FOR EVER POSTING IT!

16. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

"There seems to be some perverse human characteristic that likes to make easy things difficult."

Warren Buffett

17. gboysmom

Chris...

NO SH**!!!

I'm done...finished. You guys have a great weekend.

18. hawkeyegirl

I still don't have any idea what Glen's opinion is, if it's not that people who let their child watch the speech don't care about their children. And I REALLY don't have any idea what he's talking about in his last post. So you're right in that it's his opinion, but I'm right in that I have no freaking idea what his opinion is because his posts don't make any sense.

19. GaPeach

GaPeach Approved members

I have students in elementary, middle and high school.

The elementary school will not be showing it live because it is disruptive to the normal school schedule. Rearranging lunches and recess is difficult in a highly populated school. They will tape it and air it the following day during morning announcements. By then, we will have hopefully have had an opportunity to see it ourselves, read it and hear feedback from many who will have seen it live.

The middle school and high school have yet to inform us of their plans.

I have always tried to instill to my children a high value for the Office of President as well as other government officials. Regardless of my political views, I do believe in honor and respect for those in authority.

I do, however, have an issue in the way that this "address" to the nation's students has been handled. With a wide variety of school start dates across the nation, diverse daily schedules and undisclosed content of what he will be saying, it appears that reasonable care was not given to the school districts who are ultimately responsible for the instructional day.

A better venue, perhaps, would have been for the President to pre-record a speech to the nation's students and then "suggest" a specific day of delivery. This would have allowed the school districts time to preview the material, plan activities within the lesson plans to fit the discussion in without distrupting the teacher's pre-planned timelines for units of study and allow for the airing to occur within the framework of each school's daily schedule.

I am sure that for those students who have tests or quizzes schedule on Tuesday at 12:00 - they can skip studying over the Labor Day weekend since their test will now be pre-empted.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2009
  20. MamaC

MamaC Approved members

Breathe in, breathe out, move on.

Jimmy Buffett

(Michelle's away. I had to.)