- advertisement -

Obama's speech (this is NOT a political post)

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by sincity2003, Oct 21, 2013.

1. sincity2003

sincity2003 Approved members

Was anyone else just watching Obama's speech? Did you all see the lady with the brown hair in the red dress that appeared to be passing out?
    As she turned around to walk away, my son and I caught the OmniPod on her left arm.
    Just an observation, again, not anything to do with his actual speech.

2. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

3. ozarkmom

ozarkmom Approved members

Just watched it...poor girl, wonder if she was going low? :eek:

4. sincity2003

I thought she was, she didn't look good at all (meaning, she didn't look like she felt good, not her actual appearance), which is why we were paying attention to her in the first place.
    I hope she is okay!

5. ozarkmom

ozarkmom Approved members

I've only seen my son do something similar to this, but it was at night and we were waking him up to treat his low, so I think some sleepiness and going low factored into his stumbling, but sure made me concern all the more. It was the first time for him to be a little belligerent with us, too.

6. 3kidlets

3kidlets Approved members

Just read that she is pregnant. Perhaps nausea.

Edited:just watched video. She looked low.

7. 4MyBoys

4MyBoys Approved members

I think her eyes looked low. Gregory's eyes get dark and hollow like that when he is low. I hope she got the treatment she needed and is fine now.

8. Beach bum

9. Jordansmom

Jordansmom Approved members

It's actually a Dexcom sensor, not an Omnipod.

10. MamaC

MamaC Approved members

She tweeted that she is OK.

11. sincity2003

Oops...guess my eyes deceived me :)

12. Beach bum

Someone asked me why her Dex didn't alarm. I'm figuring that due to security that all items had to be left behind and she didn't have it, or because she had to stand directly behind the president that there was probably no discreet way to bend down to grab some glucose.

So glad she is doing OK now. Here is a great blog post about it:
    http://www.despitediabetes.com/hey-...02341838646170":"og.likes"}&action_ref_map=[]

Shame on those making fun of her. Diabetes or no diabetes, it was a person who was having a medical emergency!

13. Beach bum

14. sincity2003

Beach,
    I was so upset by some of the comments I read online last night about the entire situation. I even had someone tell me that if I believed she had a true medical emergency, they had some oceanfront property in Arizona to sell me. Of course, those same people can't reply when you ask what would be the point of staging something like that?
    I'm so glad she is okay!

15. Beach bum

Ya, these are the people who make a hobby out of stirring the pot. They enjoy getting people fired up.

16. moco89

moco89 Approved members

I agree that those people are unruly and have no right to be making rude and even harassing comments about a bad situation publicly on the Internet. President Obama did have to stop his speech momentarily to acknowledge that there was a problem that needed to be taken care of. In some situations, like lectures or speeches, people will try to pretend like whatever is happening around them is ok, even during a medical emergency, and unintentionally disregard the crisis. This may have been embarrassing to her, but at least it happened in a semi-public place, rather than being that low locked in her car (or alone) and confused.

One time, when I just entered college, I passed out completely from hypoglycemia in a large lecture hall, in the middle of the lecture. After the lecture, the next class came in, and there were people sitting next to me, acting like it was no big deal, even though they were concerned. They did not tell the professor until like halfway through that lecture, and he was really upset. He understood the crisis and what was going on because he was a chemistry professor and he found out that my blood glucose was probably low. I am sure everyone felt bad about the situation (I still feel bad about disrupting the lecture and causing a "crisis"). So, for this individual, it really could have been a lot worse, although these were adults in this situation, not kids.

17. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Actually, for better or worse, people DO have a right to make rude comments on the Internet or wherever they want to. It is one of the freedoms we "enjoy" in this country, freedom of speech.

I see comments every day in the comment sections of online news organizations like CNN that I think are moronic, ridiculous, immature, rude and just stupid. But I usually just ignore them and I don't let them bother me because: #1 I have no control over what those people say and #2 there will always be mean, dumb people who will make mean, dumb comments either to purposely stir the pot or just because they are stupid. By getting infuriated, like the blogger above, I think it just validates the stupid and gives them what they so badly desire: A Reaction.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2013
  18. moco89

moco89 Approved members

I guess you are right about what you said. I prefer people to be respectful, even if that is not going to happen.

19. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

One of my online friends tried to post that she was a "plant" in the speech. I told her that I posted that I knew who she was, and that the look in her eye is exactly what Emma looked like when she had her seizures. That vacant look in her eyes is exactly what we saw when Emma was seizing. She must have been really low. I imagine her pregnancy hormones are throwing her BGs completely out of whack!

20. Mish

Mish Approved members

She hasn't said she was actually low. Right?

Regardless, I'm tired of people using her situation for their own benefit. What we know about Karmel Allison is that she's 20 weeks pregnant, she nearly fainted, and she has diabetes, and she is happy for the current insurance situation. That's what we know. What we don't know about her could probably fill volumes. it's sickening to see people bashing her and it's equally sickening to see people using her to forward their own agenda. It's all the same in my mind.