- advertisement -

o/t - anyone work for a veterinarian or is a veterinarian?

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by momof2here, Aug 30, 2010.

1. momof2here

momof2here Approved members

I have a really off topic question but it is bothering me a bit.... when you get antibiotics from the vet, in the form of a liquid, is it antibiotic mixed in with some other element and if so, shouldn't it indicate what the other element is?

My puppy is on an antibiotic for kennel cough. He is a new puppy and was on a medicine before this and it didn't go away. He saw the vet, that the puppy place referred us to. We pay the vet bill, the puppy place pays for the medicine. The medicine spilled on me as my daughter was trying to help me with the puppy. The medicine is DEFINITELY fish oil. I was thinking that maybe they grind up antibiotics or use a power and then mix it in with fish oil for ease of administration. The thing that concerned me is that it says the name of the antibiotic/suspension but it doesn't indicate that it is in fish oil. Then I thought, maybe the doctor felt that this would go away on its own and he just gave us fish oil.

I have to drive 24 miles each way to go get more of this and really didn't want to go all that way if he just gave me fish oil.

What do you think?

2. sarahspins

sarahspins Approved members

I am not a vet nor do I work for one, but that does NOT seem normal to me... do you mind if I ask what antibiotic it is?

The last time I had a dog on antibiotics he was given pills. One of our guinea pigs was on baytril recently after he was neutered, and that was a liquid, and I happen to know that it is just the injectable mixed with a banana flavored base... oil seems weird to me.

3. momof2here

Hi Sarah :)

Nope, I don't mind you asking a bit, in fact, I am grateful you want to know :)

It is 'Doxycyclin Suspension' and it is totally oil and we had fish oil caplets, broke them apart and found the smell and consistency, as well as color, identical.

Additionally, he has been on medication for well over a week (that makes one week on 'Ditrim' and a few days on this and he still has the cough.

I am also trying to decide if I should just go to a closer vet. If it is truly suspicious (whether the vet really gave him a medication or gave him fish oil) I probably will not waste my time to go back to him.

Thanks for your concern :)

4. twolittleladybugs

twolittleladybugs Approved members

Maybe a regular pharmacist could help you out. A lot of pet meds are similar to people meds. I worked in a vet's office (very low rung job--it was in high school/college) many years ago, and they usually do suspensions with distilled water. I've never seen one with oil. Let us know what you find out!

Kelly

Emily 8--dx @ 2 1/2, mult. food allergies
    Kaitlyn 4

5. MamaBear

MamaBear Approved members

Hi. We got a puppy this summer who ended up having bad kennel cough. He had pills. But I wanted to post that the vet told us that even after taking the medicine as prescribed, the coughing would still go on for a couple of weeks. Kennel cough takes awhile to go away.

6. momof2here

Thanks so much for that info! :) I hope he gets well soon... he is such a cute, tiny pup and I hate to see him coughing!

7. momof2here

That is a good idea... if I don't find out something her I am going to try Walgreens and see if they can advise. I know they would probably hate to say anything to the contrary though (if they have never heard of the medication being mixed with an oil).

I just cannot imagine that, even if it is perfectly normal protocol to mix it with fish oil, that you should not be indicating this on the medicine container (it is just a typical plastic pill container with a safety lid).

8. Denise

Denise Approved members

This doesn't seem right... I know there's a vet tech who comes here so hopefully she'll chime in.

9. valerie k

valerie k Approved members

our vet always prints out a sheet about the medications we are about to give to our pets.

I would call another vets office and ask them.

10. Emilyk1054

Emilyk1054 Approved members

We had this with a pound puppy we got about 6 months ago. The meds our vet gave us was more of a syrup, not really an oil. I wish I could remember the smell. I just know it was super thick and a PAIN to deal with. It was more on his face than in his mouth. Went back and they gave it to us in a capsule that did look exactly like fish oil.

I hope he gets over the cough soon. Its awful. Everytime our pup would get a coughing spell it would break my heart :(

11. LizinTX

LizinTX Approved members

I'm not a vet or associated with one. Once, I had a pet on antibiotics and a child on antibiotics, and they were the EXACT SAME THING!!! The only difference was the price, the pets meds were waaaay cheaper--the doctor visit too.:rolleyes::D

12. MReinhardt

MReinhardt Approved members

Our puppy had "that cough" aka Kennel Cough but the cough never went away even after antibiotics. Our vet gave another antibiotic and it still hasnt gone away. Our vet is thinking the Canine seasonal influenza. Swabbing was done and sent to Iowa City...we'll see from that, what they say. If it is canine influenza it can last for several weeks, up to 6 weeks.

In case your interested: http://www.cdc.gov/flu/canine/

13. momof2here

Thank you, that info was very interesting. I hope your puppy will be okay very soon!

14. Mom2rh

Mom2rh Approved members

Kennel cough is a virus so antibiotics are for secondary infections but not the kennel cough itself. My dh, a retired veterinarian, said that he treated kennel cough with a cough suppressant and antibiotics (for those secondary infections). But not liquid meds.