advertisement

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NY Times Today, "childhood diabetes"

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Sarah Maddie's Mom, Sep 23, 2007.

1. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

New York Times published today an article by Sarah Kershaw p.14 Week in Review section titled, " Don't Even Think of Touching That Cupcake". The piece discussed, in part, how schools cope with sweet treats in the classroom in this current environment of health consciousness. However, the author states, and I quote,

"While the merits of banning goodie bags filled with Reese's and Skittles seem obvious - especially at a time when the risk of childhood diabetes :)eek:) is high for American children - many parents draw the line at cupcakes."

Please consider joining me in writing to the Times to alert them to this sloppy error by thier journalist. This is not the first such error by the Times but it is one of the most flagrant.

2. Deannas mom

Deannas mom Approved members

The article is very mis-leading..if she were talking directly about type 1 diabetes..but as well all know..most people do not realize that there are two different diseases..
    Her quote is correct as far as the incress of children being diagnosed with early onset adult diabetes. The rate of children developing type 2 has become very evident over the past few years. Actually thats what Deanna's Dr first thought Deanna had because she was overweight for her age. thas was until her blood work came back and a morning BG of 455 was taken after eating just a small bowl of cheeroos. Its really sad that the general public lumps all children being diagnosed with diabetes as one in the same disease. Thats why its so important to get our message out to anyone who will listen ( and to the ones who wont) that our children did nothing to get this monster, no mater how many cupcakes they ate.:mad:

3. Julie

Julie Approved members

GOSH yes this is irritating!!

I've already explained a thousand times, YES he can have that, NO he didn't get it from too much sugared cereal...*sighs*

The sad part is, the media could do so much good for the cause if they would only be more educated about the facts.

4. Isabelle's Mom

Isabelle's Mom Approved members

I've sent Ms. Kershaw an email. This happens so often, I should just save a formletter in MS Word and send it whenever there is an article like this!

5. 3js

3js Approved members

That bugs me. There is so much misinformation out there, people can hardly help being ignorant.

I asked about the carbs in the snowcone syrup at the fair, explaining that my son is diabetic. She didn`t want to sell me a snowcone after that, but did in the end.:rolleyes:

6. momofsingingdiabetic

momofsingingdiabetic Approved members

I emailed her also. Why does there seem to be an abundance of these articles lately?

7. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Thanks for they comment - It's great to be able to connect with other parents and not have to be this mad alone -

8. yeswe'rebothD

yeswe'rebothD Approved members

I emailed her too. I'm so tired of this crap!

9. deafmack

deafmack Approved members

Well I did have to give them some credit as they do have a link online that explains the difference between the two types of diabetes albeit in a round about way. and they do need to say that Type 1 is an autoimmune disease and saying that you can't get type 2 from eating sugar either. I just wish they would get the facts straight. Sugar does not cause diabetes. If it did no one would be eating anything with it included.

10. Isabelle's Mom

here's the author's reply

Here's my message to the author of the article and her reply:

"Hi there, thanks for writing. I hear your concerns about using diabetes as a catchall term for both diseases. i would obviously have explained if the piece were about that, but i will check with the editors on whether we can do a clarification.

if you are in touch with other parents, as i received several emails like this, please pass that on. The paper takes diabetes in both forms very seriously and has written extensively on the subject, where there is the opportunity to explain the differences. thanks again --

Sarah Kershaw"

"Dear Ms. Kershaw, I was deeply disturbed and saddened when I read your article. My daughter has Type I Diabetes. I assure you, it has nothing to do with overeating. You are confusing it with Type II Diabetes. Type I, or Juvenile Diabetes, is purely an autoimmune disease. My daughter was diagnosed at 17 months, after eating a very healthy diet, and having never touched a cupcake. This confusion between Type I and Type II diabetes is common, and it causes all Type I diabetics and their families great distress to be blamed for their diabetes. It is not their fault! Can you imagine growing up with this stigma? Please, I implore you, research diabetes thoroughly and print a correction. Please don't propagate this misconception."

11. yeswe'rebothD

yeswe'rebothD Approved members

ok, nice PC answer there, but she still helped fuel on a misconception that we have to correct all the time! And it really stinks that she thinks she can just answer one person-- does she think EVERY parent of a child with D is in one big group? What about parents who wrote, but aren't part of this message board? Still upset here.....

12. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Lucy - thanks for the post and for attaching Ms. Kershaw's reply. Not sure it was entirely satifying, but better than not hearing back.
    I just plan to stay on them. It is probably a loosing battle, I'm leaning toward using "juvenile diabetic" and "insulin dependent" from here on.
    Not sure it will help, but can't just stay quiet on this.
    Thanks again - Sarah

13. Mama Belle

Mama Belle Approved members

All she had to do was respond saying that they will print a correction changing the term "childhood" to "type 2". GRRR!!! Yes, childhood diabetes is on the rise, but only one type of childhood diabetes has been linked to diet. This kills me.

14. Isabelle's Mom

Agreed. It was a lame response. I hope you get some satisfaction.

15. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Since some of us are still bothered by Ms. Kershaw's piece and reply in defense, I thought I'd post my email to her and note that I didn't hear back. Gee, was it my tone?

Ms. Kershaw,

Since my daughter (9 years old) was diagnosed with Juvenile diabetes 5 years ago I have encountered many examples of journalists and reporters confusing Type One diabetes and Type Two diabetes. But your piece “…Touching that Cupcake” took things even further, you managed to invent a whole new category, “childhood diabetes.”

Obviously, you know nothing about diabetes. That paragraph was sloppy and careless and will cost the parents of Type
    One diabetic kids countless hours as they defend their children against ignorant and hurtful comments.

My daughter has an autoimmune disorder. There is nothing she can do in her lifestyle to change this. Nor did she do anything in the first four years of her life to cause this disease. Yet, she must live either getting insulin injections EVERY time she eats something - or have attached to her body 24/7 an insulin pump which has to be reattached every two days by puncturing her flesh and inserting a plastic tube which delivers the insulin without which she would die. Oh, she also has to check her blood sugar up to 10 times a day, which has left her little arms permanently bruised and scarred such that she was recently asked if she was bitten by a dog. So, this blameless kid, and thousands of others like her are now subject, due in large part to reporters like yourself, to assumptions by the public that she is to blame for this lifelong disease and that if only she had not drunk so much soda, eaten so much candy or engaged as a toddler in a less sedentary lifestyle she wouldn't be sick.

16. Mama Belle

Mama Belle Approved members

I don't mean to be argumentative or condone the article at all, because I don't:), but Childhood Diabetes is a term used and recognized by the medical community on a regular basis. It refers to both types of diabetes which happen to occur in childhood. In fact the full name of the Barbara Davis Center is "The Barbara Davis Center for Childhood Diabetes". To me the issue with the article was not the fact that she used the term childhood diabetes, but that in doing so she lumped the two types together and linked both of them to diet. She could have very easily kept all of us happy by just using the term type 2. Both types are on the rise in kids, we know that, but both types are not linked to diet. That is the part of the article I take issue with.

17. caspi

caspi Approved members

I sent her an email as well and haven't heard anything.... shocking!:eek:

This is, once again, why they need to change the name of Type 1 Diabetes!

18. badshoe

badshoe Approved members

Well I don't have what I sent but I may be able to find it on another PC.

Super lame response and their link to diabetes informative didn't make the key difference between T1 and T2. Specifically in that link they don't point out that T1 is an autoimmune function and diet has nothing to do with it. I did point out People got the journalistic facts right but they fell short.

19. Brensdad

Brensdad Approved members

Does she work in the PR department for SeaWorld too?

20. Ivan's Mum

Ivan's Mum Approved members

Here here. Yes, I get peeved at it too but the reality is we're still a minority (slowing increasing) to a growing majority (that's racing ahead) in the diabetes stakes. People take more interest when you tell them nicely about the difference. I don't expect people to know, hell I didn't know before he became one. I don't know about a whole heap of other diseases. I just accept that I'm going to have to educate everyone who asks. But if we all tell 2 friends and so on, we can slowly educate everyone. People will soon ask if he's t1 or t2. Won't that be a fine old day?