- advertisement -

Nutritionists at endo appointment

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Traci, Apr 12, 2011.

1. Traci

Traci Approved members

Our insurance only covers a small part of the (ridiculous) charge for speaking with a nutritionist at our endo visit. The last time Perky Patty (who was all of 21 yrs old) visited with us, the grand sum total of her advice was "Eat your vegetables!" I paid almost $200 for this girl to tell my son to eat his vegetables.:rolleyes: Seriously, that's exactly what she told us. Nothing else! Absolutely useless, in my opinion.

We've been dealing with d for 8 years, ds's a1c is good--right where they want him, in fact, dh and I are both college educated, neither we nor any of our children are overweight...so what, if anything, is a 20-something yr old nutritionist going to tell me that I don't already know???

I've refused her visit the last two times I've seen the endo and will continue to do so unless someone here can shed some light on why I SHOULD partake of her wisdom.

So has a nutritionist ever given you some good advice that you were previously unaware of?

2. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

The only times we saw the nutritionist were as part of our overall get-to-know-your-team appointment soon after dx, and before starting the pump. She didn't tell us anything we didn't learn in middle school health class.

3. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

No, not really. But it was ages ago and soon after dx.

4. Charliesmom

Charliesmom Approved members

The only time, other than at diagnosis, that we saw a nutritionist was when we were going the process of getting a pump. That was basically to double check that we knew how to count carbs.

5. Traci

Traci Approved members

After 8 yrs with type 1, I have become a carb-savant! No worries there! lol

6. Tigerlilly's mom

Tigerlilly's mom Approved members

We haven't been since the nutrionist said in front of Tyler - Well you can't make a 9 year old eat what they don't want to eat!:eek: (he is super-picky!)

Her big suggestion was to put whatever meal I made for the rest of the family in front of him, if he doesn't eat it, then he can make himself a PBJ...hmmm - it would be PBJ's every single night for him!

Now when the Endo suggests we make an appointment with the nutrionist I just say HMMMhMMM.

7. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Yes, to get Calorie King and a good scale. Other than that it seemed to me as if they were checking in on us to make sure that we were feeding our kid properly.

8. AlisonKS

AlisonKS Approved members

I can't remember in TX soon after dx, it's all a blur. When we moved around a year later, we saw one, we filled out a food diary, she looked at it and said we don't need her help and it's never been mentioned again.

9. 3kidlets

3kidlets Approved members

That pretty much sounds like our experience.
    We met with a nutritionist at Hana's first endo appt. after her dx. She added absolutely nothing to our D education.
    All she did was bash my vegetarian diet. I've been vegetarian for 17 years. My children have grown up vegetarian. They are the healthiest kids I know. I didn't need her telling me what was what.
    I have since declined her "services" every other time we've been back to the endo.

10. BKKT10

BKKT10 Approved members

Our nutritionist was helpful. Kay wouldn't drink anything besides water, so we were concerned about her getting the necessary calcium and nutrients she needed (without drinking milk) and the nutritionist was able to help us with this. She was also able to help give us suggestions on how to incorporate different proteins/fruits/veggies into our DD's diet - which was difficult for us, given that she was on a somewhat fixed amount of carbs per meal and also because she was only 1 at dx.

That all being said, we haven't gone back to see the nutritionist in about a year (I think the D team *suggests* that we have a nutrition appointment every 6 months). If you don't think that the nutrition apts are beneficial and you are paying a substantial amount OOP, I wouldn't schedule any further apts. It's seems like it's a waste of time and money in your situation.

11. Hayden'sMom

Hayden'sMom Approved members

Oh my... our first "dietician" was right out of the sixties... and so out of touch with 4 year olds. We always strive to eat as healthy as possible, but realize that sometimes you just have to let things go. This woman made us feel horrible for feeding our son goldfish crackers (can rot the teeth supposedly:rolleyes:) and instead of providing us with helpful carb-counting info...just wanted us to follow her strict eating plan. It was horrible and made us second guess how we have fed our children thus far. Thankfully, I knew she was wrong and we fumbled our way through things and have gotten a new nutrionalist.

Trust your gut and if she is a total flake like ours was... find a new one or don't even bother. Parents on this site are a much better resource anyways:)

12. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

not so much - we've only seen one since dx and the one big issue for me was needing help with dosing for different foods that might digest at different paces and the effects of protein and fat on BGs and she said "well just log and I"m sure you'll figure it out" - which wasn't helpful at all.

13. manda81

manda81 Approved members

We never met with a nutritionist. When it was time to get a pump, one of our clinic's "requirements" is to meet with one, and then take a test.

I asked our Endo to just give me the test. He laughed and got it for me. I guess he thought I would not pass?

But after pointing out issues with the test, and inconsistencies making answering the questions variable at best, impossible at worst... he decided I did not need to meet with her and we skipped that step. :)

I think some people can probably benefit hugely from meeting with one, and others... not so much. Y (Nutritionist Needs) MV? :)

14. joan

joan Approved members

I can't remember the last time we, I or my son spoke to a nutritionist. I never felt I needed any guidance because i read a lot about healthy eating , know about carbs etc, etc. Now that my son is getting ready to go to college I would love for him to go to a dietician who is very experienced with d just to plant some healthy eating advice for college in his head. Its not going to happen, I don't think, but I would like that.

15. Traci

Traci Approved members

Thank you all so much for the replies. I was thinking that maybe I was just missing this integral part of d management (that was not impacting his a1c). Maybe if she hadn't been so darn perky! LOL The whole time she was asking me questions, I was thinking, "Good grief, I've got shoes older than this girl!" And then when she said to eat vegetables (which he already does, thank you very much), I almost fell out of my chair. Really?! Vegetables?! What a novel concept! I wonder if the rest of the world knows about this!:rolleyes:

16. PatriciaMidwest

PatriciaMidwest Approved members

I agree with you...this part of the appt is often just a waste of time. I just smile and nod my head in agreement hoping she will leave quickly. Sad but true.

17. jules12

jules12 Approved members

Now that we have been at this a few years, I don't see anyone I don't want to see which includes nosey nutritionists who seemed surprised that a 9 year old boy wouldn't want to eat his veggies and fellows. We haven't seen the nutritionist for a couple of years now. We do have to fill out a sample menu for a typical day but that is it.

18. Stacey Nagel

Stacey Nagel Approved members

[So has a nutritionist ever given you some good advice that you were previously unaware of?]
    Jesse and I saw a nutritionist a few times after his diagnosis , 9 1/2 years ago... She was also a waste.... told Jesee that he shouldnt eat sugary cereals... that he should eat raison bran . UGH... can you tell me of any 9 year olds that would eat it??
    needless to say, we havent seen one since.....

19. Abbysmom

Abbysmom Approved members

We had to do a nutrition class at diagnosis

It was how to count carbs on juice boxes, cheetos, and individual bags of cookies.

My husband actually didn't know so I guess it was good for him but I have ignored the nutritionist since.

A few months ago I ran into her and she asked how we were doing and I decided to test her. I asked how to carb count steel cut oats and quinoa. She knew off the top of her head and I have used the advice. I am reconsidering.

20. P&BMom

P&BMom Approved members

My son would eat Raisin Bran! He has always picked out pretty healthy cereals!

So far, the time we have spent with a nutritionist has been a waste of time. We haven't learned anything directly from them. As far as food goes, our nurses during diagnosis were more helpful and honest with us. The nutritionist would say stuff like absolutely no more candy, pizza, chocolate milk....you get the point. The nurses told us to be realistic with the food.